Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need some reassurance

Thanks

Default Need some reassurance

Hi everyone

Please let me know your thoughts and hopefully someone can reassure me.

When starting my first grow I bought a entry level tent kit that came with a 4 inch switfair carbon filter and a 4 inch swiftair fan. During the middle of the grow I got a planty/veggy smell and then when they began to flower it stunk the room out.

Now my tent had negative pressure and I had my exhaust ducting hanging near a window which I had to keep on the snib to at least air the room a bit and try to lessen the smell.

This time around I have completely redone my ducting, abit 4 inches between the fan and my filter and the ducting running out of the fan is about 2 inches and then it's outside the tent, so not alot of ducting inside the tent and it's all in a straight line no bends.

I have went mad with the duct tape and sealed everything even wrapped it around the ducting encase there was holes I didn't notice.

I have upgraded my filter to a 4 inch mountain air filter 240cfm and also upgraded my fan to a black orchid fan which I can switch between 180 and 240 cfm. I kept the fan on the higher setting and installed a fan controller and turned it down a quarter.

Am I overthinking things and panicking too much because I don't want that to happen again?was the equipment I got supplied when I first bought the tent shite and that's why the smell was so bad. Let me know your opinions and any pointers will be appreciated.

Thank you

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Krato For This Useful Post:

Cats (02-06-21), Farmer Geddon (03-07-21), GEORGE (13-05-21), Jingo (13-05-21), Mac (13-05-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,978 Times

Is it a fan speed controller or a temperature fan speed controller?

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to funkydawg For This Useful Post:

Cats (02-06-21), Farmer Geddon (03-07-21), GEORGE (13-05-21), Jingo (13-05-21), Krato (13-05-21), Mac (13-05-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by funkydawg View Post
    Is it a fan speed controller or a temperature fan speed controller?

It's a fan speed controller mate

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Krato For This Useful Post:

Cats (02-06-21), Farmer Geddon (03-07-21), funkydawg (13-05-21), GEORGE (13-05-21), Jingo (13-05-21), Mac (13-05-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krato View Post
    It's a fan speed controller mate
    OK so the current fan isn't cutting out at all, well obviously your first fan and filter kit wasn't up to the task.

if it was a poor filter or you didn't seal up the join between the fan and filter or the fan was rated higher flow than the filter we won't know but if you have taped everything up tight you should be good.

I usual attach my fan and filter directly together and get a good seal off the solid plastic.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to funkydawg For This Useful Post:

Cats (02-06-21), Farmer Geddon (03-07-21), GEORGE (13-05-21), Krato (13-05-21), Mac (13-05-21)

Thanks

Also what tape you using? I found standard duck tape didn't cut it for me, think it was something to do with the heat.

Switched to foil tape and solved my problems.

You can get a rubber pipe connector with 2 jubilee clips from any hardware store for connecting fan direct to filter there usually used for connecting water pipes so there pretty sturdy and also the collars for connecting the ducting - that's what I'm using next time

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to funkydawg For This Useful Post:

Cats (02-06-21), Farmer Geddon (03-07-21), GEORGE (13-05-21), Krato (13-05-21), Mac (13-05-21), M_C (14-05-21)

Thanks

I had everything taped up the last time mate and honestly you wouldn't of thought I had a filter, the guy in my local shop asked me what brand of filter and fan I had and when I told him he said he doesn't know how places get away with selling that shite lol

No the fan is good running like a champion no cutting out or buzzing or anything, should i turn it down further so you can hardly hear it running or is that too much? You can currently hear it whooshing at the moment but I'm scared to turn it down until its silent encase it doesn't work. I current have it turned down about a quarter of the way
    Last edited by Krato; 13-05-21 at 08:16 PM.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Krato For This Useful Post:

Cats (02-06-21), Farmer Geddon (03-07-21), funkydawg (13-05-21), GEORGE (13-05-21), Mac (13-05-21)

Thanks

I had everything taped up the last time mate and honestly you would of thought I had a filter, the guy in my local shop asked me what brand of filter and fan I had and when I told him he said he doesn't know how places get away with selling that shite lol

No the fan is good running like a champion no cutting out or buzzing or anything, should i turn it down further so you can hardly hear it running or is that too much? You can currently hear it whooshing at the moment but I'm scared to turn it down until its silent encase it doesn't work. I current have it turned down about a quarter of the way
    Well mate it sounds like you have everything covered.

Messing about with fan speeds is up to you mate, if there not in flower you should be able to drop it down some as there won't be much of a smell and crank it up in flower.

What you using to maintain temps? And humidity? What light you using?

Think excessive humidity can damage the carbon in the filter! Not sure in the %

Last edited by funkydawg; 13-05-21 at 08:19 PM.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to funkydawg For This Useful Post:

Cats (02-06-21), Farmer Geddon (03-07-21), GEORGE (13-05-21), Krato (13-05-21), Mac (13-05-21)

Thanks

My tent isn't that big mate 80x80x180 I only have a 250hps lamp in it and an oscillating fan, and then obviously my filter and exhaust fan, is there any other kit I need?

The tent is in the back bedroom which holds the heat, not roasting but more cosy lol

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Krato For This Useful Post:

Cats (02-06-21), Farmer Geddon (03-07-21), GEORGE (13-05-21), Mac (13-05-21)

Thanks

My tent isn't that big mate 80x80x180 I only have a 250hps lamp in it and an oscillating fan, and then obviously my filter and exhaust fan, is there any other kit I need?

The tent is in the back bedroom which holds the heat, not roasting but more cosy lol
    I would get a tempreture and humidity monitor just to check your environment levels there not expensive..

Too high of a temp and you will end up with airy bud and high humidity can result in bud rot.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to funkydawg For This Useful Post:

Cats (02-06-21), Farmer Geddon (03-07-21), GEORGE (14-05-21), Krato (23-05-21), Mac (14-05-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by funkydawg View Post
    I would get a tempreture and humidity monitor just to check your environment levels there not expensive..

Too high of a temp and you will end up with airy bud and high humidity can result in bud rot.

Hi mate sorry for the super late reply, I got one of them monitors your talking about, temp is 25 lights on and 22 lights off, humidity is 35. Hopefully this mountain air filter does the trick this grow, that swiftair carbon filter I used last grow was desperate could smell my grow out in the landing

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Krato For This Useful Post:

Cats (02-06-21), Farmer Geddon (03-07-21), funkydawg (23-05-21), GEORGE (23-05-21), Mac (03-07-21)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast