Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wtf happened to my bulb?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by forager View Post
    if you are getting through that many lamps i would look at testing the gear feeding the lamp (ballasts, cabling, etc) for faults, or if possible try switching other parts the same way you have been with the lamps and see if the problem stops.
    I've only been getting thru them this grow, same equipment ran 24/7 before no issues, I'm hoping it's just dud bulbs from the online store as all the ballasts, reflectors and everything are under a year old, other lamps been running perfect. If a new bulb blows I will be switching equipment out and never shopping with this particular online store again. Nearly 2k I've spent and most items come looking like they're from a second hand store.. Those of you in Uk can probably guess who I mean, similar name to where you might buy your pint of milk locally

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UkMedicalGrower For This Useful Post:

forager (17-05-21), GEORGE (16-05-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Karsa View Post
    If it was new it's faulty or you damaged it. But yeah you need to replace it

Sent from my J8210 using Tapatalk
    It's been working fine, switched on as normal then it blew, only thing I've done different is plug the ballast into a 3000w surge protector, got the all clear from here and any other research I done, only thing I can think of is its that or the bulb, will be gettitn a new bulb tomorrow just to see..

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UkMedicalGrower For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (16-05-21), Karsa (16-05-21)

Laederon Plateau on the northern edge of the continent of Genabackis.
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,313 Times

Quote Originally Posted by UkMedicalGrower View Post
    It's been working fine, switched on as normal then it blew, only thing I've done different is plug the ballast into a 3000w surge protector, got the all clear from here and any other research I done, only thing I can think of is its that or the bulb, will be gettitn a new bulb tomorrow just to see..

Like I said, it could be faulty.

As for you damaging it I don't mean you smashed it with a hammer I mean something completely innocent like a but of splashback, gentle knock.
    Wasn't accusing. Merely posting the options.

And yeah a surge protector shouldn't do that but it could have. So... Can't pin point it in that unless that also blows other bits too.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karsa For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (16-05-21), UkMedicalGrower (16-05-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Karsa View Post
    Like I said, it could be faulty.

As for you damaging it I don't mean you smashed it with a hammer I mean something completely innocent like a but of splashback, gentle knock.
    Wasn't accusing. Merely posting the options.

And yeah a surge protector shouldn't do that but it could have. So... Can't pin point it in that unless that also blows other bits too.

Oh no I understand completely sorry if come off a bit shitty this issue really jarring me recently I take the upmost care with the bulbs usually screw then in in the cardboard they come with then wipe them down with kitchen roll after and regularly inspect for chips/cracks etc, I even drag my plants out of the tent on lights off to water them as not to accidentally splash anything or knock anything, I'm suspecting dodgey bulb as I ordered 2 same time and 1 was completely broken had a dodgey connection inside 1 of the metal wires was completely loose and broke the circuit willy nilly, will dig it out later and upload a pic of what I mean

As for the surge protector I might stop using that too and see if any change

Debating just ordering a new ballast, reflector, bulb and contactor just to eliminate old equipment but it's all under a year old and not cheap either all reputable brands I beleive the ballasts and bulbs alone were £179.99 each. Not no cheap ebay job altho I seem to of had better luck with cheap and cheerful in the past haha

Thanks for any input much appreciated

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UkMedicalGrower For This Useful Post:

forager (17-05-21), GEORGE (16-05-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,955 Times

definitely sounds like you are looking after your gear properly. sometimes faults happen, it might not even be your fault.
    i agree a surge protector is unlikely to cause the issue, but it could. if you feel comfortable i would open it up and do a visual inspection at least and look for any shorts or burns or anything that looks wrong. also check all the other wiring and components in the circuit that you can access.

without being able to monitor the circuit you are forced to just keep switching out components until the problem stops. if it was me i would find a new source for my lamp and remove the surge protection and wait it out. if it still pops then it is something else, if it fixes the problem for a week i would replace the surge protection and wait again.

either way it is a guessing game really without a multimeter, if nothing stands out anyway. hopefully you can guess the right component first try.
    good luck

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to forager For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (17-05-21), UkMedicalGrower (16-06-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by forager View Post
    definitely sounds like you are looking after your gear properly. sometimes faults happen, it might not even be your fault.
    i agree a surge protector is unlikely to cause the issue, but it could. if you feel comfortable i would open it up and do a visual inspection at least and look for any shorts or burns or anything that looks wrong. also check all the other wiring and components in the circuit that you can access.

without being able to monitor the circuit you are forced to just keep switching out components until the problem stops. if it was me i would find a new source for my lamp and remove the surge protection and wait it out. if it still pops then it is something else, if it fixes the problem for a week i would replace the surge protection and wait again.

either way it is a guessing game really without a multimeter, if nothing stands out anyway. hopefully you can guess the right component first try.
    good luck
    Months later but happy to report both bulbs have been working perfect since being replaced at a local hyrdo shop, needless to say I don't think I'd order bulbs online again as both did infact have faulty/broken connections inside

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to UkMedicalGrower For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (02-07-21), forager (04-07-21), GEORGE (01-07-21), M_C (02-07-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,782 Times

Glad to hear it's all sorted, but what a pain!
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

14. The Following User Says Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (02-07-21)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2