Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading duct and filter but not fan ?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,671 Times

Default Upgrading duct and filter but not fan ?

Hi all long time see, think I know the answer but hearing from someone else Say it would convince me ha.

I’ve brought a new gekko 1500 8” fan and still 50% less power with the filter attached than the rvk I’m running bringing air in. So here’s the question if I was to keep the 8” gekko but change the fan and filter to 10” would the less resistance in the 10” make up for bends etc resulting in less reduction in airflow meaning more cfm.

Hopefully makes sense

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dizzydave For This Useful Post:

Cannabug (23-05-21), Farmer Geddon (24-05-21), GEORGE (23-05-21), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (24-05-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

In theory! Yes... in reality? Dunno
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Cannabug (23-05-21), Dizzydave (23-05-21), Farmer Geddon (24-05-21), GEORGE (23-05-21), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (24-05-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,955 Times

i am a new grower but a tech and number nerd, so maybe i can offer insight, but its possible there are things about fans that i am not aware of that could make a big difference.

using a bigger duct would definitely help correct any narrowing caused by corners, but that is as far as it will get you. if your exhaust fan cannot pull enough air to match your intake then no amount of extra diameter will help enough. given that the manufacturer designed this version with an 8" diameter i would say it is likely that it is the smallest size you can use for that particular motor before you start to restrict the airflow, so going bigger will only help correct corners etc, even then it might not make any difference at all.

it is a similar problem with the filter. a bigger filter will definitely allow more air to pass through, but it will not boost the flow, it will only correct any resistance caused by itself.

i assume the exhaust is the 1500m³/h version by the name? what is the m³/h rating for your intake? are we talking around 3000m³/h? if so i am pretty confident you will need a bigger exhaust or a smaller intake.

hope that helps

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to forager For This Useful Post:

Cannabug (23-05-21), Dizzydave (23-05-21), Farmer Geddon (24-05-21), GEORGE (23-05-21), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (24-05-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,468 Times

Talking

Hi Dizzydave how are things? Good to see you around again. Seems like I saw you A week or so ago.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

Cannabug (23-05-21), Dizzydave (23-05-21), Farmer Geddon (24-05-21), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (24-05-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 9,218 Times

Welcome back DD
    I'm wondering would an 8" RVK reduced to a 5" swift air filter be ok

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cannabug For This Useful Post:

Dizzydave (23-05-21), Farmer Geddon (24-05-21), GEORGE (23-05-21), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (24-05-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,671 Times

Exactly how my brain was working M_C

Thanks for the reply forager, I’m running about 1100m3/h on intake. I’ve got negative pressure when disconnecting the filter so was thinking along the lines of easier air flow would close the gap between the two fans.

George how’s it going buddy I still pop in for a nose now and then see if I can give or receive a little help gotta love the place

Cannabug hiya mate, I would be seriously worried having a fan too big for your filter due to pulling the air too fast the filter and not cleaning the air properly which could leave you with a lot of smell escaping.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dizzydave For This Useful Post:

Cannabug (23-05-21), Farmer Geddon (24-05-21), GEORGE (23-05-21), M_C (23-05-21), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (24-05-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 9,218 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzydave View Post
    Exactly how my brain was working M_C

Thanks for the reply forager, I’m running about 1100m3/h on intake. I’ve got negative pressure when disconnecting the filter so was thinking along the lines of easier air flow would close the gap between the two fans.

George how’s it going buddy I still pop in for a nose now and then see if I can give or receive a little help gotta love the place

Cannabug hiya mate, I would be seriously worried having a fan too big for your filter due to pulling the air too fast the filter and not cleaning the air properly which could leave you with a lot of smell escaping.
    Fair point mate I was also worried incase the fan would be over worked drawing the air through it. Guess I'll have to play it safe and inquire about an 8" filter. Cheers DD

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cannabug For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (24-05-21), GEORGE (24-05-21), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (24-05-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 20,238 Times

Easiest option would be to lose the intake fan.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-05-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzydave View Post
    are you removing only the filter? or the ducting too?

if you are removing only the filter then it should be a simple fix with just a bigger filter rated for 1500m3/h or more. if you are removing both then you should try removing only the filter to see if you get the same result, if so replace only the filter, if not then a wider duct might be necessary, it really depends on how many corners you are taking and how tight they are.

hope that makes sense

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to forager For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (24-05-21), GEORGE (24-05-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Geddon View Post
    Easiest option would be to lose the intake fan.
    i think if the filter being removed is changing the airflow then it is a good sign that the filter is under-rated and there will be a lot of strain on the motor. removing the intake would fix the symptom but would not address the wear on the motor.
    the 1500m3/h should be enough to have negative pressure when used along side the 1100m3/h intake. if it is not then there is an underlying cause. in this case i think it is the filter.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to forager For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (24-05-21), GEORGE (24-05-21)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast