Thread: Use of glycerine in water for germination

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,218 Times
    Provided Answers: 12

Default Answered: Use of glycerine in water for germination

Glycerine changes the water surface tension thus making bone-dry soil take up water more easily and quickly. I believe something like "Wet Betty" is a branded product for such a purpose, but I am just looking at the generic stuff.

Has anyone tried that with old seeds for the "glass of water" germination method?

Just throwing it out there as I think It might "work" for the purpose of getting the water into the seed, but I have no idea if that affects the seed and in what other ways.

Anyone?
    One Love, and Mon The Talk!
    The Six L Rule: No Smell, No Tell, No Sell,
    And mind those deci-BELS

May we all cross the line safe and sound, time after time, everytime.

FORUM RULES

2. "Aloe is a proven organic wetting agent. Quite commonly used in horticulture.

Sent from my POCO F2 Pro using Tapatalk"

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (28-05-21), GEORGE (27-05-21), Mac (27-05-21), M_C (28-05-21), scoot (28-05-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,468 Times
    Provided Answers: 105

Quote Originally Posted by Valentina View Post
    Glycerine changes the water surface tension thus making bone-dry soil take up water more easily and quickly. I believe something like "Wet Betty" is a branded product for such a purpose, but I am just looking at the generic stuff.

Has anyone tried that with old seeds for the "glass of water" germination method?

Just throwing it out there as I think It might "work" for the purpose of getting the water into the seed, but I have no idea if that affects the seed and in what other ways.

Anyone?
    I have A big fat seed soaking in Water now for 5 days, and no sign of it opening up.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (28-05-21), Mac (27-05-21), scoot (28-05-21), Valentina (27-05-21)

Thanks
    Provided Answers: 3

Aloe is a proven organic wetting agent. Quite commonly used in horticulture.

Sent from my POCO F2 Pro using Tapatalk

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to supremeweeder For This Useful Post:

barney_b (27-05-21), Cats (27-05-21), Farmer Geddon (28-05-21), GEORGE (27-05-21), Karsa (27-05-21), Mac (27-05-21), M_C (28-05-21), scoot (28-05-21), Valentina (27-05-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GEORGE View Post
    I have A big fat seed soaking in Water now for 5 days, and no sign of it opening up.
    Wouldn't it have drowned by now, at 5 days...?

I thought the seed is supposed to be potted once it sinks?

Sorry I have never considered this method until now, and have no idea.

I have a old-old-old Mephisto seed that I want to give the best chance of survival to, after some did not pop in the past.
    Last edited by Valentina; 27-05-21 at 12:54 PM.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (28-05-21), GEORGE (27-05-21), Mac (27-05-21), scoot (28-05-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by supremeweeder View Post
    Aloe is a proven organic wetting agent. Quite commonly used in horticulture.
    Thanks for the tip!!!

I take it that is not the kind of Aloe gel that could be had from a shop, but a real aloe "leaf" that is taken from a living plant?

I do fancy the idea of sitting a seed on a slither of aloe in a shallow dish or a tub and see what hapens.

Now I just need an aloe plant. :P

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

barney_b (27-05-21), Farmer Geddon (28-05-21), GEORGE (27-05-21), Mac (27-05-21), scoot (28-05-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 51,466 Times
    Provided Answers: 5

Thanks for the tip!!!

I take it that is not the kind of Aloe gel that could be had from a shop, but a real aloe "leaf" that is taken from a living plant?

I do fancy the idea of sitting a seed on a slither of aloe in a shallow dish or a tub and see what hapens.

You MUST get an aloe plant. Great for so many things around the house including when you burn yourself making edibles

Cheers,

B

"The footsteps of the farmer is the best fertilizer."

Welcome to The Barnyard

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to barney_b For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (28-05-21), GEORGE (27-05-21), scoot (28-05-21), Valentina (27-05-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,468 Times
    Provided Answers: 105

Wouldn't it have drowned by now, at 5 days...?

I thought the seed is supposed to be potted once it sinks?

Sorry I have never considered this method until now, and have no idea.

I have a old-old-old Mephisto seed that I want to give the best chance of survival to, after some did not pop in the past.
    If it never pops open, I don't think it ever will even if you plant it in soil. They usually bust out A small tail while under water. JMO

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (28-05-21), scoot (28-05-21), Valentina (27-05-21)

Thanks
    Provided Answers: 3

Thanks for the tip!!!

Either taken from a plant or there's dilutes available online.

Sent from my POCO F2 Pro using Tapatalk

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to supremeweeder For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (28-05-21), GEORGE (27-05-21), scoot (28-05-21), Valentina (27-05-21)