Thread: Simple old me and my goals

Thanks
    Thanked 3 Times

Default Simple old me and my goals

Hi. I'd like to start off with explaining my username. The first thing that might come to mind is that this guy is full of himself. Good. You're kinda right. I try to be exceptional at everything I do. It may take me longer to get started on things than it does most people. I look for enough information to jump in on a successful path. There are actually three parts to my username Xep shun all. I typically do shun all because I wear my heart on my sleeve. I'm a mostly kind and decent person who likes helping others as long as they are doing all they can to help themselves.

I'm a minimalist and not a pot user in the typical sense of the word. I do use it therapeutically by learning about it and growing it. I just bought a wooded lot with a wide open view of the southern sky so now it's time for me to start raising rabbits and cannabis. I'm a solar enthusiast and plan to grow my little ladies under the light of some RV LEDs if it turns out to be possible. I like to explore the uncharted territories so I'll be posting about my grow if it works out. My basic solar lighting setup has cost me $400 to set up and is expandable to a point that another $2000 will power everything I need for the next 25 years except that batteries don't last that long.

The rabbits will be fed with sprouted barley that is grown outdoors, with no nutrients, for 8 days under sunlight and supplemented by my RV lighting. The cannabis strains I've chosen are ones that won't exceed 50cm/20in of height. They'll be grown indoors exclusively under RV LED lighting. The flat design of the 921 bulbs that I'll choose is ideal for keeping the weight of the "bulbs" low enough that I can suspend them with string or rubber bands to place them exactly where I need them. The efficiency of these bulbs exceed anything intended for residential or shop lighting. They produce nearly zero heat and are not going to need heat-sinks or fans but we all know that there will be fans. I have 2 industrial design air pumps to supply the 12 DWC buckets (6 near the floor, and 6 near mid-wall-height). The buckets are 4-gallons, black and square to allow for close spacing. When I can be sure that I'm not introducing anything harmful into my DWCs, I'll switch to a water pump and overflow drains to circulate the nutrient while adding oxygen.

So now that you've had a quick tour of a small section of my mind, I look forward to learning from you all and hopefully coming up with some wisdom to impart besides the fact that everyone who can afford a home where a 1KW solar panel array is allowed should be able to afford to start with about $500 to get your lighting off of the grid and gradually increase the potential to the point that your refrigerator is also grid-independent. Surely, you grow your own cannabis because you don't want to be a slave to the dealers and dispensaries. Carry that spirit over to the rest of your life and you'll experience a world of freedom.
    Last edited by Xepshunall; 20-06-21 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Spelling of the word "place"

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Xepshunall For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (20-06-21), Jingo (20-06-21), Mac (20-06-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 25,492 Times

Welcome to the talk, sounds like an interesting plan.

If you want to discuss it here I suggest you drop 2 of the buckets to stick within the 10 plant rule that you agreed to on sign up to the forum.

Good luck

NO SELL, NO SMELL, NO TELL!!!

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

barney_b (21-06-21), Bud Lightyear (20-06-21), Deku Nut (20-06-21), Easy-T (20-06-21), GEORGE (20-06-21), Jingo (20-06-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,471 Times

Talking

Welcome to the Talk dude, enjoy.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (20-06-21), Deku Nut (20-06-21), Jingo (20-06-21), Mac (21-06-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,730 Times

Welcome to the forum brother we do have a 10 plant limit on this forum so you might want to consider scaling your plans down a little bit.

Sometimes it's best for new growers to do a proof of concept with just one plant. Deep water culture can be complex on several levels, not the least of which is temperature of the buckets. A lot of guys will use chillers which would add a significant amount of electrical requirement. Another option would be Coco. You can get all the same results and automate it and have it work quite well.

I'm curious to hear how the rabbits and the sprouted barley works out, I'm really trying to do a lot more food production at home these days. I'm experimenting with black oil sunflowers this year, not only to make oil but to look at the excess from the oil process as bird feed. I'm also growing some sorghum and looking at the seeds of potential bird feeder chicken feed actually. The idea of doing rabbits and producing the food for them at home is quite interesting to me.

J

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

barney_b (21-06-21), GEORGE (20-06-21), Mac (21-06-21)