Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Automated Burping / Curing Chamber...

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,062 Times

Default Automated Burping / Curing Chamber...

Hear me out...

You've chopped you plants, they've hung dry so you're trimming them & getting them ready to go in the Kilner jars. However instead of putting the buds in jars & then burping them you build one of these...

A black plastic tote is used as a curing chamber, intake & exhaust airlines with one-way check valves are installed & sealed.
    A sensor for a humidity controller is also installed & the cable sealed. When the lid is on the tote it's air tight (even if that involves taping the lid to the body)

The controller is set to 62% RH, with a variance of 3%.
    When humidity in the tote hits 65% the controller activates the air pump.
    The air pressure opens the check valves & replenishes the air in the tote until the humidity drops to 62%.
    This continues until humidity in the tote stays below 65% & the controller shuts the pump off.
    The tote remains sealed, curing the bud.

So...

You lay your buds out on eggcrate shelves that allow air to flow freely through them & can be stacked in multiple levels to fill the tote.
    A 40mm pc fan could be used for circulation inside the tote? Possibly on a timer, to come on once an hour (or whatever)
    The exhaust airline could be plumbed into a 10" RO filter housing packed with active carbon to remove the smell.
    You can lower the RH of the controller down to 63%/62%/61% as required.

So instead of burping a load of jars, set this up & ignore it for 4 weeks

Thoughts?

Cheers,
    B1unt
    B1unt XIII: Chemdogging & Sour Diesel - https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...post1071304159

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to B1unt For This Useful Post:

barney_b (02-07-21), Farmer Geddon (02-07-21), GEORGE (01-07-21), Krofam (02-07-21), Mac (02-07-21), M_C (02-07-21), scoot (02-07-21), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (02-07-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,588 Times

i want some of what you're smoking!

its a pretty good idea, mate.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Krofam For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (02-07-21), GEORGE (02-07-21), Mac (02-07-21), scoot (02-07-21), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (02-07-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krofam View Post
    i want some of what you're smoking!
    Purple Lemonade from Fast Buds

Quote Originally Posted by Krofam View Post
    its a pretty good idea, mate.
    The air pump burping thing has been done:

I've only ever seen people run them on timers though (to come on twice a day or whatever). I've not seen someone use a controller to automatically regulate the curing environment.
    Last edited by B1unt; 02-07-21 at 06:09 PM.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to B1unt For This Useful Post:

barney_b (02-07-21), Farmer Geddon (02-07-21), GEORGE (02-07-21), Krofam (02-07-21), Mac (02-07-21), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (02-07-21)

Thanks

I guess what I am asking is:

Is the exact burping process...

• Burp jars until humidity stays stable at 62%
    • Leave jar sealed to cure

I don't understand the science behind curing. People just seem to burp a few times a day for the first week, drop this down to once a day, then a couple of times a week & so on.

I am making a bit of an assumption with how I think it should work (assuming the jar / container should be sealed once humidity is stable)?
    Last edited by B1unt; 02-07-21 at 06:16 PM.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to B1unt For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (02-07-21), GEORGE (02-07-21), Krofam (02-07-21), Mac (02-07-21), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (02-07-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,454 Times

Simplest way to explain for me is flavour
    You can blast your buds when drying if you want it bone dry jar up and put away but youll be left with all its taste stripped away
    Burping/ curing brings it down to that same level of dryness but over a much longer period but flavour is locked in
    Just take this blue cheese I'm smoking now it's taken 2 months to get there but colour and trichs intact and a diesel and berry flavour when the lid flips open Click image for larger version. 

Name:	622021191435.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	402895
    Atb

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Greengrass For This Useful Post:

B1unt (02-07-21), Farmer Geddon (02-07-21), GEORGE (02-07-21), Mac (02-07-21), M_C (03-07-21), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (02-07-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 20,238 Times

I'd been growing for years before I ever checked the humidity in the jar. That was a one off done out of curiosity.

The purpose of burping is to even out the internal and external moisture of the bud. With an open jar, the outside of the bud loses moisture but the inside not so much. When the jar is closed, the outside gains moisture from the inside of the bud. Before the burping is over, in a closed jar the outside will become stickier and the buds will stick together. When the burping is done, the buds will free flow and not stick to each other. Then they can be left in a sealed jar to cure.

Although I grow by numbers, with drying and burping I do it touchy feely.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

B1unt (02-07-21), GEORGE (02-07-21), Greengrass (03-07-21), Mac (03-07-21), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (02-07-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    Simplest way to explain for me is flavour
    You can blast your buds when drying if you want it bone dry jar up and put away but youll be left with all its taste stripped away
    Burping/ curing brings it down to that same level of dryness but over a much longer period but flavour is locked in
    Just take this blue cheese I'm smoking now it's taken 2 months to get there but colour and trichs intact and a diesel and berry flavour when the lid flips open
    I get the theory as to what the objective is, just not the how.

2 months, you've got some patience, did you burp the jar at all on the 2nd month?

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to B1unt For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (02-07-21), GEORGE (02-07-21), Greengrass (03-07-21), Mac (03-07-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Geddon View Post
    The purpose of burping is to even out the internal and external moisture of the bud.
    No one has ever described it this way to me before, the generic response is "to lock in cure & flavor"

With an open jar, the outside of the bud loses moisture but the inside not so much.
    Like drying

When the jar is closed, the outside gains moisture from the inside of the bud. Before the burping is over, in a closed jar the outside will become stickier and the buds will stick together.
    Yeah, they stick together in the jars now

When the burping is done, the buds will free flow and not stick to each other. Then they can be left in a sealed jar to cure.
    I see, a dry bud. Exactly how a bud should be...

When it's dry enough to go in the jars the buds are spongy & springy as they still have moisture in. How did I never manage to work out for myself that fully drying the bud would be part of the process

Although I grow by numbers, with drying and burping I do it touchy feely.
    Thinking about it I am pretty sure all the Youtube video's on drying & curing mention using hygrometers in the jars & burping to regulate humidity. Nothing about dryness of the buds..?

Thank you for taking the time to reply, you've given me a complete understanding of the entire process. You've made it seem so simple to understand that I fail to see how it has taken this long for me to get an understanding of this process

• So when the buds are first added to the jars there's plenty of moisture to draw out, hence frequent burping.
    • Overtime there is less moisture to draw out, hence it takes longer & therefore burping becomes less frequent.
    • Once the buds are fully dry, burping stops & the jars can remain sealed.

All makes perfect sense now & I can begin implementing it on the buds I currently have in jars (I'll be using the "touchy feely" methodology)

Thanks again, knowing this will enable me to take my quality up a few notches & get the best out of my current & future harvests

Cheers,
    B1unt

*Edit: So my next question is then: Does curing begin when they first go in the jars, or after the burping stops & from when the jars remains sealed?
    Last edited by B1unt; 03-07-21 at 12:13 AM.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to B1unt For This Useful Post:

barney_b (03-07-21), GEORGE (03-07-21), Greengrass (03-07-21), Mac (03-07-21), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (03-07-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 20,238 Times

I burp the jars until the buds are no longer sticky. The curing time is how long it takes me to smoke what I already had previous to that batch.

The more grow space used, the less patience needed. I aim for 2 grows giving me a years supply. Means I can take a break. If something does go badly wrong, I can do a 3rd grow that year to make up for it.

The more I've got jarred up, the more likely I am to do a test grow where yield is not the priority.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

B1unt (03-07-21), barney_b (03-07-21), GEORGE (03-07-21), Greengrass (03-07-21), Mac (03-07-21), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (03-07-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 26,716 Times

Great idea, but I like burping my jars.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

"A word to the wise isn't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Loki For This Useful Post:

B1unt (03-07-21), Farmer Geddon (03-07-21), GEORGE (03-07-21), Greengrass (03-07-21), Mac (03-07-21)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast