Thread: heat issues with my HPS lamps. are budget LED's a solution?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,129 Times

Default heat issues with my HPS lamps. are budget LED's a solution?

so im growing 6 plants in a 2.4mtr tent under 2 x HPS lamps that are a few days into flower

due to temps ive had to reduce my ballasts to 250w & 300w just to keep temps in check

the problem now is that 550w total lighting just isnt enough to get a decent result

im wondering if its worth me buying a budget LED lamp or lamps to finish the grow?

1: are budget LED lamps any good?
    2: will it reduce my temps enough to justify the cost as im on a budget?
    3: if so, can anybody recommend any particular lamps?

im also battling with high humidity of around 65%. im using a dehumidifier for lights out to control this but the RH soon rises once lights come on and the dehumidifier goes off.
    i wonder if i were to get LED's, could i run the dehumidifier with the lights on?

any feedback would be appreciated guys

i have considered pulling some of them out but i'd rather not if it can be avoided

cheers
    gg

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to green grass For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (15-07-21), GEORGE (14-07-21), Mac (14-07-21), MrC (14-07-21), scoot (16-07-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 51,466 Times

Quote Originally Posted by green grass View Post
    so im growing 6 plants in a 2.4mtr tent under 2 x HPS lamps that are a few days into flower

due to temps ive had to reduce my ballasts to 250w & 300w just to keep temps in check

the problem now is that 550w total lighting just isnt enough to get a decent result

im wondering if its worth me buying a budget LED lamp or lamps to finish the grow?

im also battling with high humidity of around 65%. im using a dehumidifier for lights out to control this but the RH soon rises once lights come on and the dehumidifier goes off.
    i wonder if i were to get LED's, could i run the dehumidifier with the lights on?

i have considered pulling some of them out but i'd rather not if it can be avoided

cheers
    gg

1. Check out the 100w grow with Mr.C and Krofam. That's an example of a "value" LED. I say 'value' instead of 'budget' as the former sometimes comes with a negative connotation.
    2. Reduced temps & reduced power consumption. Farmer compared results to his 315cmh light.
    3. Generic response - "Check out our sponsor and send them a message". Don't have enough manufacturer experience to give a good reco, personally.

Cheers,
    B

"The footsteps of the farmer is the best fertilizer."

Welcome to The Barnyard

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to barney_b For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (15-07-21), GEORGE (14-07-21), green grass (14-07-21), Mac (14-07-21), MrC (14-07-21), scoot (16-07-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,129 Times

Thanks B. Got to feed shortly then I’ll check it out for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to green grass For This Useful Post:

barney_b (14-07-21), Farmer Geddon (15-07-21), GEORGE (14-07-21), Mac (14-07-21), MrC (14-07-21), scoot (16-07-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 62,958 Times

If ya reduce the heat will it not raise the humidity? May be a problem if you're already strugglin but if you're having to reduce watts I'd say chance it.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (15-07-21), GEORGE (14-07-21), green grass (14-07-21), Mac (14-07-21), scoot (16-07-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,468 Times

Quote Originally Posted by green grass View Post

cheers
    gg
    I've got two 130W Budget, and one 500W Budget LED also. You can talk with them, and see what kind of set up they will give you, and what type light you will need. Doesn't cost anything to talk with them. Good luck dude.

Looks like you are in the UK, you might want to give LED Harry A call, or one of our other UK sponsor's, also.
    Last edited by GEORGE; 14-07-21 at 08:33 PM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (15-07-21), green grass (14-07-21), Mac (14-07-21), scoot (16-07-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,978 Times

Have you considered cool hoods or cool tubes as a temporary measure for the hotter months?

I ran a 1kw hps in super lumens pulling 1100w from the wall, using a xxxl cool hood and a 6 inch fan my temps never got above 30c.

Maybe worth trying that before cheap leds, unfortunately the by product of turning electric current into light is heat - for all leds are more energy efficient they still produce heat.

Led is the way to go but to replace them hps lights and expect the same yeild you will be stumping up more cash than it would cost for cool hoods

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by funkydawg; 14-07-21 at 10:09 PM.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to funkydawg For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (15-07-21), Farmer Geddon (15-07-21), GEORGE (14-07-21), Mac (15-07-21), scoot (16-07-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 20,238 Times

Leccy savings alone is a good enough reason to switch from hps to led. I've got 2 x HLG 100 and a Cloudline S4 fan ready to instal when the current grow is finished and when running 24/0, I'll be saving ~£6 a week. Currently using a 315w cmh and an 8" rvk @ 40% power for a total draw of 400w.

Back when I had a 2.4m x 1.2m tent I used a data logger to see when the heat was needed. Opposite problem to you, cold cellar. The climate got dangerously close to condensation for 15 minutes after the lights switched either on or off. So I ran the heaters for an extra 30 minutes either side of the light switching. You could try that with your dehumidifier.

What size/power extractor fan are you using?

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (15-07-21), GEORGE (15-07-21), Mac (15-07-21), scoot (16-07-21)