Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: So many systems so many opinions...

Thanks

Question So many systems so many opinions...

Good morning everyone, hope everything is fine and safe.

I never used hydroponics and it's time to start learning it, in the future would love to use bioponics.

Some say I should start by buying the cheapest kit possible, some say to buy a Wilma kit some dwc buckets...

There's then the ph meter and so forth (essential equipment), that it's quite the same, some say go through the cheap way some say don't cut corners...

I'm worried more In terms of cleaning and maintenance of the system, disease prevention and avoiding problems with the system that might develop into major household problems, like leaks or having all the plants killed...

I know from my research that every system have their on pros and cons but... Which should be the more pain-free in the long run even if it's the more "labour intensive".

I'm tending to a wilma, but one small nft unit (seedlings), and 1 or 2 buckets of dwc (veg/flower)... Or a solo Dutch bucket/ bato bucket hydro system... Solo many options... Ohh... I'm going to use a grow tent Green-qube100 (100*100*200).

Sorry for all the questions, hope this post also help others. Thanks all very much for your time and support, with my kindest regards.
    Last edited by FreeOrNotFree; 16-08-21 at 09:13 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FreeOrNotFree For This Useful Post:

barney_b (24-08-21), Doink (24-08-21), Farmer Geddon (16-08-21), GEORGE (16-08-21), mpsj (24-08-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,471 Times

Talking

Welcome to the Talk dude, enjoy.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

Deku Nut (24-08-21), Doink (24-08-21), FreeOrNotFree (16-08-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 20,238 Times

Your post implies that you have experience growing in soil?

When done right, all systems yield the same on harvest day. If I'm not 100% accurate on that, good logistics will make up the difference. 4 plants @ 5oz each = 5 plants @ 4oz each sort of thing.

imo, when choosing a system, the only question should be: 'What's in it for me?'

Hydroponics can be active or passive. Active hydro has pumps, water, air or both. Passive hydro has no pumps. ime, passive hydro is the most failsafe system going. Even I can do it.

Active hydro like nft, dwc etc. will give faster veg growth. That can be important to a commercial grower but makes little difference to us percy growers. If they need a bit longer veg time, so what?

Bato buckets are a plumbed in and automated version of hempy buckets. There's no difference between them in how the plants grows.

Using a one metre square space, Bato buckets don't seem worth the effort to me when hempy buckets are so easy to do. There are some smaller shop bought systems like Wilma that fit nicely in a small space. With active hydro, expect a bit more of a learning curve compared to passive hydro.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

barney_b (16-08-21), Deku Nut (24-08-21), Doink (24-08-21), FreeOrNotFree (16-08-21), GEORGE (16-08-21)

Thanks

Good day friends,

[QUOTE=Farmer Geddon;1071197292]Your post implies that you have experience growing in soil? Yes I've done a few crops during the past years (10-15years). Not as much as I would like but because of personal issues I had to stop during sometime. During that time I saw a burst of new varieties including the famous Auto girls.

When done right, all systems yield the same on harvest day... Humm well not for me, pretty much all my grows went totally different (grms of bud), but well I've started with 250hps then 600watts and now less, always soil from biobizz and it's additives...

imo, when choosing a system, the only question should be: 'What's in it for me?'
    .... I want to get more bud and less stalk/leafs lol less pests, passive systems more prone to root rot? And it takes more time for the growth so less productive in the end, right?

While using the wilma's systems all the seeds must be from the same genetics, because every bean have different nutrients requirements to achieve the maximum results. Right?

The more I know the less I know... Once again thanks for all the inputs. Cheers and sorry for any bad English.
    Last edited by FreeOrNotFree; 16-08-21 at 01:02 PM.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FreeOrNotFree For This Useful Post:

barney_b (16-08-21), Deku Nut (24-08-21), Doink (24-08-21), Farmer Geddon (16-08-21), GEORGE (16-08-21)

Thanks

Sorry for doubling the reply, but I can't edit the post after some e just click on the thanks button or after any reply... Best regards.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FreeOrNotFree For This Useful Post:

Doink (24-08-21), Farmer Geddon (24-08-21), GEORGE (16-08-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 20,238 Times

You're over thinking it.

Three things will eventually happen:

1) You won't run dry between harvests and you'll build up a stash that will cover you for the occasional poor/disastrous grows.

2) You will grow genetics that you enjoy smoking more than the highest yielding and fastest finishing strains. While keeping with 1).

3) You will become better at reducing the growing cost per gram while keeping with 1) and 2).

As long as 1) and 2) happen, 3) is optional. How it happens is simply details. The details of how you do it will be different to how I do it. End result is the same though. We get enough bud of acceptable quality at an acceptable growing cost. God is in His Heaven and all is right with the world.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

barney_b (16-08-21), Deku Nut (24-08-21), Doink (24-08-21), GEORGE (16-08-21), Greengrass (16-08-21), Mac (16-08-21), M_C (16-08-21)

Thanks

Hydro should give you near double the yield, or half the harvest time.

2 grams per watt is achievable with a perfect hydro system.

Usually 1gram per watt is achievable with a perfect soil grow.

I'm sure many will disagree, but if you try it it yourself you will find out it to be true. Most people don't know how to hydro correctly lol..

72 water Temps in live systems also seems to be the best, when compared to chillers and sterile enviroments. Same with 5.6 ph when compared to most 6.0ph hydro grows.

As for the system you should build. Study Fallponics and use 10gallon per plant in your system. It will be very hands off. You use Dwc your gonna be in there daily.

My res changes are one month with 0 maintenance in between.

I'm new to this forums, but I ain't going no where lol..

My advice, never grow in soil lol.. It's a waste of time when compared to hydro.

You can search me on other forums for my resume. I'm sure I'll get around to posting an intro on myself.

Good luck man..

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cashmeh For This Useful Post:

Doink (24-08-21), Farmer Geddon (24-08-21), GEORGE (23-08-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,876 Times

I've always thought soil for taste, hydro for quantity
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Deku Nut (24-08-21), Doink (24-08-21), Farmer Geddon (24-08-21), GEORGE (23-08-21)

Thanks

I dont know of anyone that has seen a noticeable difference in terps when doing side by sides comparisons. I cant actually argue that tho lol. But the yeild. . lol hell yea thats a gimme

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cashmeh For This Useful Post:

Doink (24-08-21), Farmer Geddon (24-08-21), GEORGE (24-08-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,876 Times

Organic does seem to be a better taste... or is it just what you think?

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Deku Nut (24-08-21), Doink (24-08-21), Farmer Geddon (24-08-21), GEORGE (24-08-21), sourshoes (24-08-21)

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast