Thread: N,P,K, Ca, Mg ratios.....?

Thanks
    Thanked 4 Times

Default N,P,K, Ca, Mg ratios.....?

So, alot of general rules of thumb will say npk ratios for veg, early flower, late flower are relative 3,1,1 / 1,3,2 / and 1, 1, 3.
    I've also read that general ratios for Ca/Ma are 4,2,1 (4 being K).

What I'm trying to wrap my head around, is why so many nutrients I've tried in the past, run such a high calcium %?

Athena pro, Jack's RO, Jack's 3,2,1.

Are these ratio's off from what I've been reading, or is there another reason there is so much calcium in these product lines?

TIA,
    SS

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to old_chum_bucket For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (27-09-21), GEORGE (26-09-21), Jingo (26-09-21), Mac (26-09-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 25,492 Times

Quote Originally Posted by old_chum_bucket View Post
    So, alot of general rules of thumb will say npk ratios for veg, early flower, late flower are relative 3,1,1 / 1,3,2 / and 1, 1, 3.
    I've also read that general ratios for Ca/Ma are 4,2,1 (4 being K).

What I'm trying to wrap my head around, is why so many nutrients I've tried in the past, run such a high calcium %?

Athena pro, Jack's RO, Jack's 3,2,1.

Are these ratio's off from what I've been reading, or is there another reason there is so much calcium in these product lines?

TIA,
    SS
    A lot of nutrient lines use calcium nitrate as a nitrogen source which raises both N and Ca

NO SELL, NO SMELL, NO TELL!!!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (26-09-21), Farmer Geddon (27-09-21), GEORGE (26-09-21), Jingo (26-09-21), twalte (01-10-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,620 Times

I haven't used any of those nutrients and I don't know of anybody who has used them for growing cannabis.

Jack's kind of clues in with the RO in the name. They actually formulated that for people that are growing in reverse osmosis water which a lot of us do. You definitely want more calcium if you are using reverse osmosis water or very soft water.

In general, any nutrient that can feed a tomato well will feed cannabis well. There is one problem however, tomato plants get blossom end rot. It's really more of a problem of overwatering, but most people just throw calcium at it and it solves the problem. So if you water your tomatoes too much you leach your calcium out of your growing substrate and to get blossom end rot. So nutrient companies that design their nutrients for tomatoes will include a lot of calcium.

Cannabis plants need plenty of calcium in flower to build the big heavy flowers. So if your flower nutrient mix is full of calcium and it's not a hard water mix, then it will work all right.

If you're looking for a particular fertilizer you need to know what your background water in your house is like. If it's hard over 250 parts per million, then you're going to want a hard water mix. Companies like general hydroponics have a hard water line.

So I would check your background water. If you live in a city you can probably get a report from the city water department. Then I would look at the nutrients that people have been using to grow cannabis for decades. Like general hydroponics, Canna, etc.

I think those three companies you found have been growing lots of other stuff and they decided to put in a cannabis line. I doubt they actually grow cannabis themselves, which you'll find most cannabis specific nutrient lines do grow their own for practice.

J

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (26-09-21), Farmer Geddon (27-09-21), GEORGE (26-09-21), Mac (26-09-21), Scottpot (27-09-21), twalte (01-10-21)