Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can I use this as a foliar spray?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 17,171 Times

Quote Originally Posted by DoinkBrah View Post
    I thought it would act quicker. No problem though, I can just add it next time I water
    Hi Doink, sorry I mean't, what is the problem your trying to solve, are your plants showing issues?.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Samwise Gamgee For This Useful Post:

Doink (14-10-21), GEORGE (14-10-21), Mac (14-10-21), V8 (14-10-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 15,810 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Samwise Gamgee View Post
    Have to admit, I am not sure about sulphur as a foliar spray, and not sure if plants can absorb sulphur via the leaves. From what I can read, sulphur molecules are large, which I think means that the plant will have trouble absorbing via the leaves. I generally use a foliar spray made up of the below, and will spray a MAX of once a week whilst in veg:

Small pinch of kelp extract
    Small pinch of Fulvic acid
    Small pinch of Yukka extract
    1 Litre of Water

Generally I will mix up the above and I have enough to last 3 or 4 grows, if not more.

Can I ask why you want to use it as a foliar spray?
    I've never used a foliar spay. It just doesn't seem like a natural way to provide nutrients to a plant. JMO

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mpsj For This Useful Post:

Doink (14-10-21), GEORGE (14-10-21), Mac (14-10-21), Samwise Gamgee (14-10-21), V8 (14-10-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 12,993 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Samwise Gamgee View Post
    Hi Doink, sorry I mean't, what is the problem your trying to solve, are your plants showing issues?.
    Not really. More preemptive really, Blue suggested it https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...at-autos/page5

A couple have started flowering, so might just forget it for now.
    Last edited by Doink; 14-10-21 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Additions

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doink For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-10-21), Mac (14-10-21), Samwise Gamgee (14-10-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 51,483 Times

Quote Originally Posted by mpsj View Post
    Magnesium and Sulphur are both Micro or Secondary Nutrients.
    Sulfur is a secondary macronutrient, otherwise known as, a macronutrient.

At least 17 elements are known to be essential nutrients for plants. In relatively large amounts, the soil supplies nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium, and sulfur; these are often called the macronutrients. In relatively small amounts, the soil supplies iron, manganese, boron, molybdenum, copper, zinc, chlorine, and cobalt, the so-called micronutrients. - Wikipedia

I've a lovely array of collegiate and professional sources at the ready if you'd like to discuss the point, though.

Cheers,
    B

Y'all cannabis growers try to change the rules. Quit it!

"The footsteps of the farmer is the best fertilizer."

Welcome to The Barnyard

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to barney_b For This Useful Post:

Doink (14-10-21), GEORGE (14-10-21), Mac (14-10-21), Samwise Gamgee (14-10-21), V8 (14-10-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 17,171 Times

I've never used a foliar spay. It just doesn't seem like a natural way to provide nutrients to a plant. JMO
    Kelp and Fulvic acid are both natural organic bio stimulants, and their are some bonuses to using them as a foliar spray, rain water is natures foliar spray and contains trace elements of minerals as well. Yucca just acts as a wetting agent, and depolarises the water so it doesn't bead on the leaves, and you don't get light burn.

Foliar application is no doubt the most efficient and effective method of administering liquid seaweed to your plants. Kelp extracts are 8–20 times more effective when applied to the leaves than when broadcast on the soil.

Like I say I will foliar spray only in veg, and the plants do seem to like it

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Samwise Gamgee For This Useful Post:

Doink (14-10-21), GEORGE (14-10-21), Mac (14-10-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 35,497 Times

Quote Originally Posted by DoinkBrah View Post
    Not really. More preemptive really, Blue suggested it https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...at-autos/page5

A couple have started flowering, so might just forget it for now.
    You can still do it Doink. Now is the perfect time. They will use it during stretch big time
    and with led it seems more of an issue. It's better to stay ahead of it. You only have to
    worry about it in flower when the bud starts to stack and thicken up.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Blue61 For This Useful Post:

barney_b (14-10-21), Doink (14-10-21), GEORGE (14-10-21), Mac (14-10-21), Samwise Gamgee (14-10-21), V8 (14-10-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by barney_b View Post
    Sulfur is a secondary macronutrient, otherwise known as, a macronutrient.

At least 17 elements are known to be essential nutrients for plants. In relatively large amounts, the soil supplies nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium, and sulfur; these are often called the macronutrients. In relatively small amounts, the soil supplies iron, manganese, boron, molybdenum, copper, zinc, chlorine, and cobalt, the so-called micronutrients. - Wikipedia

I've a lovely array of collegiate and professional sources at the ready if you'd like to discuss the point, though.

Cheers,
    B

Y'all cannabis growers try to change the rules. Quit it!
    I had a delayed hutch my reply would trigger an unintentional debate after I sent it. Reason being Macro, Micro and Secondary are terms used differently depending on the source or author.
    I don't care much about anything other than whether a nutrient is "mobile" or "immobile". (Thanks barney_b...I always wanted to say that! )
    No need to discuss 'cause its all academia.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mpsj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 51,483 Times

I had a delayed hutch my reply would trigger an unintentional debate after I sent it. Reason being Macro, Micro and Secondary are terms used differently depending on the source or author.
    I don't care much about anything other than whether a nutrient is "mobile" or "immobile". (Thanks barney_b...I always wanted to say that! )
    No need to discuss 'cause its all academia.
    It says a lot about a person when they can take a step back, breathe, and respond without emotion. I respect you the more for it.

I think it IS safe to say that NPK are the super-macros But that's bro-science. Let's just live there for the time being. Perhaps it's in the same vein as calyx/bract and pistil/stigma. But the cannabis still grows and the weed still gets smoked.

Cheers brother.
    B

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to barney_b For This Useful Post:

Doink (14-10-21), GEORGE (14-10-21), Mac (14-10-21), mpsj (14-10-21), Samwise Gamgee (14-10-21), V8 (14-10-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 25,492 Times

It's a great way to get nutes into the plant. You are aiming for the stomata on the bottom of the leaves

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Queen Seeds
    Foliar feeding does not replace the normal process by which plants uptake nutrients. This happens through your plants’ roots that are embedded in soil or some other growing substrate. Foliar feeding, however, can be a very effective way of supplementing nutrients in the short-term. It is particularly effective if you want to provide your plants with secondary nutrients like magnesium or calcium. It is also a very beneficial way to provide zinc, iron, manganese and other micronutrients to your plants.

What makes foliar feeding so special and an excellent way to address any type of nutrient deficiency is that spraying is much faster compared to applying nutrients to the soil via irrigation. The majority of the nutrients that you spray directly on your plants' leaves will be absorbed in a very short time. The plants will also take in a much higher percentage of the nutrients this way. Studies have shown that foliar feeding is as much as 95% effective. This means plants take in almost all nutrients administered by spray, while they uptake a smaller percentage when fed through the soil.

In addition to speed, foliar feeding has also other positive effects. When the plant is taking in nutrients via its foliage, this causes it to give off more carbohydrates into their root zone. This is beneficial for the microorganisms in the growing substrate that help assist with nutrient uptake.

One other benefit of foliar feeding nutrients is that it entirely forgoes the potential problem of nutrient build-up in the soil. Accumulated minerals, salts, and nutrients is a very common problem with cannabis growing. When this happens, the pH of the soil is usually off, which leads to nutrient lockout.

NO SELL, NO SMELL, NO TELL!!!

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

barney_b (14-10-21), Blue61 (14-10-21), Doink (14-10-21), GEORGE (14-10-21), mpsj (14-10-21), Samwise Gamgee (14-10-21), twalte (14-10-21), V8 (14-10-21)

Thanks

..."any type of nutrient deficiency...

Do you use foliar spray as part of your regular feeding schedule, or just when you have a nutrient problem?
    If so, what nutrients in particular have you sprayed your plants with?

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mpsj For This Useful Post:

Doink (15-10-21), GEORGE (15-10-21), Mac (15-10-21)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast