Thread: DWC System with roots getting clogged in PVC

Thanks

Default DWC System with roots getting clogged in PVC

HI,
    I have a RDWC 6 bucket system. I have 2 plants with a ton of roots in the buckets and the other 4 others seem to be avg size. The two plants with the buckets full of roots are either clogging the pvc pipe or the thick roots are causing the water to over fill the buckets. I can't seem to keep my entire system at an even balance water level. Any advice? Thanks!

i.e they are 5 gal buckets with 1 pvc pipe... I have a submerged water pump with a 10 gallon resvior. the water always drops below the point the of the water pump and starts taking in air. I fill like I need to would refill once a day. When the water drops I have been cutting the pump off.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DREX121 For This Useful Post:

Buttercup (26-03-22), Deku Nut (23-10-21), Farmer Geddon (23-10-21), GEORGE (23-10-21), Mac (23-10-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 20,238 Times

You can put a float valve on the 10 gallon res and feed it from a separate res. Keep topping up the extra res and the 10 gallon res will always be at the same level.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (23-10-21), Buttercup (26-03-22), Deku Nut (23-10-21), DREX121 (23-10-21), GEORGE (23-10-21), Mac (23-10-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Geddon View Post
    You can put a float valve on the 10 gallon res and feed it from a separate res. Keep topping up the extra res and the 10 gallon res will always be at the same level.
    Thank you I will check amazon.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DREX121 For This Useful Post:

Buttercup (26-03-22), Deku Nut (23-10-21), Farmer Geddon (23-10-21), GEORGE (23-10-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,410 Times

Quote Originally Posted by DREX121 View Post
    HI,
    I have a RDWC 6 bucket system. I have 2 plants with a ton of roots in the buckets and the other 4 others seem to be avg size. The two plants with the buckets full of roots are either clogging the pvc pipe or the thick roots are causing the water to over fill the buckets. I can't seem to keep my entire system at an even balance water level. Any advice? Thanks!

i.e they are 5 gal buckets with 1 pvc pipe... I have a submerged water pump with a 10 gallon resvior. the water always drops below the point the of the water pump and starts taking in air. I fill like I need to would refill once a day. When the water drops I have been cutting the pump off.
    Hey bud I watch a dude on YouTube who has a channel called PH Hydroponics, he highly recommends using a 3" pipe in place of your 1", specifically to avoid clogging them with roots.
    If i was you i would finish this grow out then give your system a little upgrade.
    Check out the 3" Uniseal, they are much cheaper than using bulkheads.
    Good luck dude.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deku Nut For This Useful Post:

Buttercup (26-03-22), Farmer Geddon (23-10-21), GEORGE (23-10-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deku Nut View Post
    Hey bud I watch a dude on YouTube who has a channel called PH Hydroponics, he highly recommends using a 3" pipe in place of your 1", specifically to avoid clogging them with roots.
    If i was you i would finish this grow out then give your system a little upgrade.
    Check out the 3" Uniseal, they are much cheaper than using bulkheads.
    Good luck dude.

Thanks! Ill for sure check it out. Ive been YouTubing on how to's for hydro systems and haven't really found a good one yet. Yea I'm def going to upgrade my next grow to at least 2" pvc. Hopefully ill found something on that channel how to properly balance all the buckets including the resovoir. Im in week 5 of veg and just flipped to flower. Question? I flipped to flower two days ago but my plants can use some defoliating for sure. Should I wait a couple of weeks or jus do it now?
    '

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DREX121 For This Useful Post:

Buttercup (26-03-22), Deku Nut (25-10-21), Farmer Geddon (25-10-21), GEORGE (28-10-21)