Thread: what is happening to trichomes when making bubble?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,955 Times

Default what is happening to trichomes when making bubble?

what is happening to the trichomes when making bubble hash?
    are the trichomes simply being knocked off and "washed" through the screens? or are they dissolving?
    i ask because a lot of people talk about straining the trim/bud in some way, even if it is just squeezing the top bag to squeeze the water out as you lift it out. i thought that the trichomes were only being knocked off and "washed away" from the plant material using the water. if i am correct is it better to not squeeze things like this? would it be better to make sure the mix is loose all the time to allow free flow of the trichomes through the mix, to the bottom?

just trying to get a better idea of what is happening so i can figure out my technique.

thanks

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to forager For This Useful Post:

Deku Nut (31-10-21), GEORGE (01-11-21), Mac (30-10-21), scoot (30-10-21), ToughCall (02-11-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 22,404 Times

They are being knocked off.
    If you use normal ice everything turns to a mushy mess,it was my usual method until Thursday when I used dry Ice for the first time,that makes a nice blonde hash and completely breaks down all matter in the bucket.

Dry Ice hash.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to scoot For This Useful Post:

barney_b (31-10-21), Blue61 (30-10-21), Deku Nut (31-10-21), forager (31-10-21), GEORGE (01-11-21), Mac (30-10-21), M_C (31-10-21), SilverBud (31-10-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,410 Times

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    If you use normal ice everything turns to a mushy mess,it was my usual method until Thursday when I used dry Ice for the first time,that makes a nice blonde hash and completely breaks down all matter in the bucket.

Dry Ice hash.
    Welcome to the cult.. I mean club yeah I said club you must have misunderstood.
    That's some pretty hash dude
    One of the things I like about dry ice hash vs bubble is that you can smoke it very soon after making it whereas with bubble you have to press and dry it.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Deku Nut For This Useful Post:

barney_b (31-10-21), Blue61 (31-10-21), forager (31-10-21), GEORGE (01-11-21), IceCalibur (31-10-21), Mac (31-10-21), M_C (31-10-21), scoot (31-10-21), ToughCall (02-11-21)

Thanks

Dry Ice hash.
    ah okay thanks. so i guess squeezing balls of trim and squeezing out the bags is probably a bad idea then. now i have a much better idea of how the 'feel' of the process should be.
    thank you

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to forager For This Useful Post:

barney_b (31-10-21), Blue61 (31-10-21), Deku Nut (31-10-21), GEORGE (01-11-21), Mac (31-10-21), scoot (31-10-21), ToughCall (02-11-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deku Nut View Post
    Welcome to the cult.. I mean club yeah I said club you must have misunderstood.
    That's some pretty hash dude
    One of the things I like about dry ice hash vs bubble is that you can smoke it very soon after making it whereas with bubble you have to press and dry it.
    i saw your dry ice tek yesterday. i plan to try this soon
    the cost might be the only fall back, but i am yet to shop around so we will see.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to forager For This Useful Post:

barney_b (31-10-21), Blue61 (31-10-21), Deku Nut (31-10-21), GEORGE (01-11-21), Mac (31-10-21), scoot (31-10-21), ToughCall (02-11-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by forager View Post
    ah okay thanks. so i guess squeezing balls of trim and squeezing out the bags is probably a bad idea then. now i have a much better idea of how the 'feel' of the process should be.
    thank you
    Not at all,the normal ice water method works great and makes a nice tasty smoke.

i saw your dry ice tek yesterday. i plan to try this soon
    the cost might be the only fall back, but i am yet to shop around so we will see.
    Dry ice is cheap,it cost me $17cnd for 6lbs of it at the nearest place that I could find,you have to be very careful when using dry ice though,if you have kids or animals make sure they are kept well out the way,wear thick insulated gloves and use metal tongs(not smooth ones!),and don't walk across the room using tongs to carry a piece of the dry ice it is so cold that it makes the tongs vibrate,wear safety glasses/goggles,cover arms,plan before you do it.If you do all of that it's straightforward,pretty clean,and easy a piece of paper/card/plastic about 2'x2' to shake on saves a lot of mess.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to scoot For This Useful Post:

barney_b (31-10-21), Blue61 (01-11-21), Deku Nut (31-10-21), forager (01-11-21), GEORGE (01-11-21), Mac (01-11-21), SilverBud (31-10-21), ToughCall (02-11-21)

Thanks

Not at all,the normal ice water method works great and makes a nice tasty smoke.
    i meant specifically squeezing things while performing the ice water method. some people are suggesting squeezing balls of trim to squeeze out the water, and squeezing the bag containing all the trim. i assume this is a bad idea unless it is the absolute final time you are pulling anything from it? otherwise the heads will get stuck inside the ball of trim you have pressed together?
    i'm guessing until that final moment you would want to keep everything relatively loose inside the bag?

Dry ice is cheap,it cost me $17cnd for 6lbs of it at the nearest place that I could find,you have to be very careful when using dry ice though,if you have kids or animals make sure they are kept well out the way,wear thick insulated gloves and use metal tongs(not smooth ones!),and don't walk across the room using tongs to carry a piece of the dry ice it is so cold that it makes the tongs vibrate,wear safety glasses/goggles,cover arms,plan before you do it.If you do all of that it's straightforward,pretty clean,and easy a piece of paper/card/plastic about 2'x2' to shake on saves a lot of mess.
    thank you. i will have a look around and see what sources i can find. how many plants worth of trim do you get through with 6lbs of dry ice?

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to forager For This Useful Post:

Deku Nut (01-11-21), GEORGE (01-11-21), Mac (01-11-21), scoot (02-11-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,410 Times

i meant specifically squeezing things while performing the ice water method. some people are suggesting squeezing balls of trim to squeeze out the water, and squeezing the bag containing all the trim. i assume this is a bad idea unless it is the absolute final time you are pulling anything from it? otherwise the heads will get stuck inside the ball of trim you have pressed together?
    i'm guessing until that final moment you would want to keep everything relatively loose inside the bag?
    The reason to avoid squeezing in the initial run is to avoid leeching chlorophyll into your hash.

thank you. i will have a look around and see what sources i can find. how many plants worth of trim do you get through with 6lbs of dry ice?
    With 6lbs of dry ice you could turn way more plants than we are allowed to grow on this forum into hash.
    I used probably half that amount to process 9 plants worth of trim into 74.2 grams of hash.
    Last edited by Deku Nut; 01-11-21 at 06:46 PM.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Deku Nut For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (01-11-21), forager (01-11-21), GEORGE (01-11-21), Mac (02-11-21), scoot (02-11-21), ToughCall (02-11-21)

Thanks

The reason to avoid squeezing in the initial run is to avoid leeching chlorophyll into your hash.
    ah okay, that makes sense. thank you.

With 6lbs of dry ice you could turn way more plants than we are allowed to grow on this forum into hash.
    I used probably half that amount to process 9 plants worth of trim into 74.2 grams of hash.
    amazing, thank you! seems like dry ice will probably cost the same, or cheaper than water ice from my local supermarket! if the costs here are similar to canada anyway.
    i had a quick look around online and mostly saw "call for a quote" sites and sites that only offer amounts at £30+ ($50CAD). for that price i will stick to the wet method for now, but i will search properly for a supplier that can do smaller amounts.

thanks for the info <3

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to forager For This Useful Post:

Deku Nut (01-11-21), GEORGE (01-11-21), Mac (02-11-21), scoot (02-11-21)

Thanks

It started out as 6lbs of dry ice when I bought it,never checked if I lost any of the weight about 3hours later when I got around to using it.
    I just hammered 2 jars of dried and cured AK420 that I wasn't too happy with the taste into the bucket with the dry ice.
    It was my first run and according to Deku I used WAY WAY WAY too much dry ice lol.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to scoot For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (02-11-21), Deku Nut (02-11-21), forager (02-11-21), GEORGE (02-11-21), Mac (02-11-21)