Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Tent Heaters...

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,978 Times

Quote Originally Posted by mpsj View Post
    Forgot about that in bloom. Great idea!!
    Heater I've got is just a basic one that let's you select power and temp via knobs but there is a red power light like the one in yours and its really bright.

Couple of layers of foil tape done the trick on mine.

Heater I've got is 2kw but I've turned mine down to half power so the heating element doesn't glow a bright red.

Best way is to set it up in your house at night time turn it on at full settings and turn off the lights see how much light comes off it (obviously after you make your flap and cover led)

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to funkydawg For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (19-11-21), Farmer Geddon (19-11-21), GEORGE (20-11-21), scoot (21-11-21), V8 (19-11-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 20,238 Times

The internal thermostats on heaters can be shit. At their crudest, it's a bimetal strip that makes/breaks contact and the on/off range can be a lot wider than we'd like.

If the heater is set to a bit higher than what is needed and then powered by an Inkbird, the temps will be a lot more stable. Also, the temp probe can be placed where the stable temps are wanted.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

funkydawg (19-11-21), GEORGE (20-11-21), scoot (21-11-21), V8 (19-11-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Geddon View Post
    The internal thermostats on heaters can be shit. At their crudest, it's a bimetal strip that makes/breaks contact and the on/off range can be a lot wider than we'd like.

If the heater is set to a bit higher than what is needed and then powered by an Inkbird, the temps will be a lot more stable. Also, the temp probe can be placed where the stable temps are wanted.
    Same as me....
    My heater, dehumidifier and humidifier are all button and dials no internal controls so my inkbirds mounted outside the groom take charge.

Pal of mine uses a digital heater with no issues seems to keep correct temps.

You could always try the heater with a temp monitor that records high and low temps to see how it's performing??

Looks a decent heater so you might be alright. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211119_175214.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	411299

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to funkydawg For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (19-11-21), GEORGE (20-11-21), scoot (21-11-21), V8 (19-11-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 33,477 Times

Quote Originally Posted by mpsj View Post
    Forgot about that in bloom. Great idea!!
    That was my first comment in this thread. Dont buy stuff with alot of light on it... i would ducttape it to the point you think there is NO light comming from it. I would go into a dark room. Sit there for 5 min so your eyes can adjust then recheck and recheck your heater for light leaks. Sometimes the light is even angled down to its rly rly hard to see. This might just be me but im still paranoid after my 2nd grow hermied due to the tinyest of lightleaks from my 67 controller and into the tent via the tinyest of hole at the bottum..............

V8
    Mini veg tent grow: V8`s mini garden

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to V8 For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (19-11-21), GEORGE (20-11-21), scoot (21-11-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by funkydawg View Post
    Same as me....
    My heater, dehumidifier and humidifier are all button and dials no internal controls so my inkbirds mounted outside the groom take charge.

Pal of mine uses a digital heater with no issues seems to keep correct temps.

You could always try the heater with a temp monitor that records high and low temps to see how it's performing??
    I'm not fussed on min/max readings. It's like having 2 pics a day of a traffic junction. Tells us little about what happens the rest of the time.

I've used a data logger on grows. The biggest risk of condensation was just after the lights turned off and just after they turned on. The latter surprised me.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

funkydawg (19-11-21), GEORGE (20-11-21), scoot (21-11-21)

Thanks

I'm not fussed on min/max readings. It's like having 2 pics a day of a traffic junction. Tells us little about what happens the rest of the time.

I've used a data logger on grows. The biggest risk of condensation was just after the lights turned off and just after they turned on. The latter surprised me.
    Inkbird do a data logger that's what I've been using but the op will need some way of measuring the temps to make sure his heater thermostat is accurate, if he can determine the current temp and also the high and low during 24hrs he can see that the thermostat is accurate and the heater is keeping temps within his desired settings all for £10.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to funkydawg For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (19-11-21), GEORGE (20-11-21), scoot (21-11-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 15,808 Times

Quote Originally Posted by funkydawg View Post
    Inkbird do a data logger that's what I've been using but the op will need some way of measuring the temps to make sure his heater thermostat is accurate, if he can determine the current temp and also the high and low during 24hrs he can see that the thermostat is accurate and the heater is keeping temps within his desired settings all for £10.

I'm starting to test the heater now in my 4 x 4 tent and will get back with my some of my finding. Preliminary results are very promising.
    BTW there is no issue with the light panel glowing in darkness. It's not very bright and I covered it up with a flap.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mpsj For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (20-11-21), funkydawg (20-11-21), GEORGE (20-11-21), scoot (21-11-21)

Thanks

I’ve had the new heater activated in my grow tent now for over 24 hours going through the 12/12 cycle. My "dark" tent ambient temperature started at 67 F. before I placed the heater in it. I set the heater on LOW HEAT (750 watts at 6.25 amps.) and its built-in Thermostat at 75 F. and came back after a half-hour. The heater was turned OFF and the tent temperature read 75.3 F. Happy with that.

My "lighted" tent temperature was running at 74 F. I set the heater at 70 F. in the tent and it did not turn on at all. Happy with that.

Back to the dark tent with heater set at 70 F. this time. Room temperature (i.e., tent) displayed 72 F. on the heater’s digital screen. My digital tent thermometer installed high in the tent read a steady 71.4.

The heater appears to be doing a super job regulating the tent temperature within a degree or two without dramatic fluctuation swings. It does not run continuously to maintain tent temperature, and when it does it’s quiet with a very gentle fan breeze. Now that I know it works in my 4 x 4 groom I can tweak the temps as I go deeper into the winter. It does have a HIGH HEAT setting at 1500 watts, but I doubt I’ll ever need to use it with my setup. I guess better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Although it was the most expensive heater in its category… I guess you get what you pay for.

I’m very happy with my purchase so far.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mpsj For This Useful Post:

barney_b (21-11-21), Farmer Geddon (20-11-21), funkydawg (21-11-21), GEORGE (21-11-21), scoot (21-11-21)

Thanks

Glad it's working well for you.

As you've grown there in the winter before, you'll be able to report on what difference it makes to results compared to unheated.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

funkydawg (21-11-21), GEORGE (21-11-21), scoot (21-11-21)

Thanks

Glad it's working well for you.

As you've grown there in the winter before, you'll be able to report on what difference it makes to results compared to unheated.
    I'm psyched...Will do!

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mpsj For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (21-11-21), funkydawg (21-11-21), GEORGE (21-11-21), scoot (21-11-21)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4