Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: LED advice

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

Quote Originally Posted by barney_b View Post
    Fair enough. I'm going to throw out a thought here:

I think the best target market to buy good lights, like the HLGs you prefer, is the folks that bought mediocre lights and can appreciate what that light offers.

No one is really doing the research their first go at it. The charts, numbers and info are all pretty intimidating.. They just want to be dealer free, not scientists.

They want accessible parts to grow easily and on a budget to save money in the long run.
    Akin to getting off public transportation and into your first car.... A starter car is perfectly okay while you save up for your porsche.

If it were not for these kits, these cheap parts and accessible avenues like Ama to get them, our hobby would be a VERY small one. The cards are already stacked against most of us...being illegal and all.

So that's why I'm out here welcoming new people to the forum and to the hobby. I'm not trying to scare people off with $1000 lighting before they get a seed popped. Before they know what a umol is.

I fear that this forum forgets what makes it a cool place to be... people. I'll be damned if I'll tell someone, "Hey, you shouldn't join the hobby nor the forum because you can't afford the entrance fee." Naw, get growing. Start learning and get your fingernails dirty.

Y'all out here really flexing to noobies who don't know who MIGRO is and don't care.

So to the OP and the OP of so many other threads. You don't need a fucking Porsche to pick up bread. Don't let people's preferences scare you off the hobby. They've been saving money on dealer prices for ages. They know how to wield that kind of light. It makes sense for them but might not make sense to you; now or ever.

If it's Mars, Spider, King, or Budget - trust me when I tell you that growing your own weed under a light that's not on our "Elite's" list is way better than buying shitty weed from an overpriced dealer. Jump in! Buy twice! Next time you buy, you'll be ahead after a single harvest plus you'll understand WHY the fuck you're paying more for Samsung diodes and Shane's boat.

I, for one, am smoking lovely on a budget. I'm dealer free and medicated and my lights aren't premium. I'm not fixing a problem that doesn't exist by throwing money at it.

I've said my piece. It's off my chest. Thanks for your attention.

Cheers,
    B
    Couldnt agree more

Some cheap lights stick ferrari badges on and some think they are getting ferrari nunbers for budget prices.

Amen to those on a budget who get what they pay for. Feel bad for those that see the Fiat badge and numbers hidden below the Ferrari badges

The Ferrari lights give off 40% more light so the running cost budget is much less than Fiat running budget, of course. Some like low investment and high running costs, others like high investment and cheaper total cost of ownership = cheaper light and medicine!

As long as were all happy thats what counts.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

barney_b (17-11-21), Bethmeg (15-12-21), Deku Nut (17-11-21), Farmer Geddon (17-11-21), GEORGE (18-11-21), Herbitual (17-11-21), Mac (17-11-21), V8 (17-11-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 51,484 Times

Quote Originally Posted by gardro View Post
    Couldnt agree more

Some cheap lights stick ferrari badges on and some think they are getting ferrari nunbers for budget prices.

Amen to those on a budget who get what they pay for. Feel bad for those that see the Fiat badge and numbers hidden below the Ferrari badges

The Ferrari lights give off 40% more light so the running cost budget is much less than Fiat running budget, of course. Some like low investment and high running costs, others like high investment and cheaper total cost of ownership = cheaper light and medicine!

As long as were all happy thats what counts.
    I agree with everything you've said this morning. Which is a shame because I was all geared up to argue.
    Not really. Thanks for your discourse. I understand and appreciate you more now.

Cheers,
    B

"The footsteps of the farmer is the best fertilizer."

Welcome to The Barnyard

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to barney_b For This Useful Post:

Deku Nut (17-11-21), Farmer Geddon (17-11-21), gardro (17-11-21), GEORGE (18-11-21), Mac (17-11-21), V8 (17-11-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 20,238 Times

I'll argue a little.

When starting out, the lighting is the least important part of the grow. The first light is going to be replaced soon enough. Doesn't matter what it is as long as it is capable of getting the new grower to harvest.

Where extra money should be spent imo is on the extractor fan. A common newbie mistake was to buy the best hps light that they could afford and the cheapest extractor fan that they believed they could get away with. Some hps lights were 4 times the cost of magnetic ballast hps lights. Quoted as up to 15% more yield. Often paired with a 4" fan that was cheaper than a 4" rvk. Those newbies could really struggle.

We'll happily replace a light in favour of something better once we can afford it. There is resistance to replacing a not very good fan that is still working. Start with the best extractor fan available and have it one size bigger than you think you need.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

barney_b (17-11-21), Deku Nut (17-11-21), gardro (17-11-21), GEORGE (18-11-21), LoveBudd (14-12-21), Mac (17-11-21), V8 (17-11-21)

Thanks

Yea, I get that. Don't want to put anyone off.

I'm currently using a 600w sodium for flowering and was hoping for £500 ($750) I could get something equivalent for my space but burn less eleccy.
    I can see it's a minefield. I am pretty set on the sf4000. I've emailed to see if they can honour the flash sale price of £430 as opposed to the normal price of £499.
    Thanks for all the help and advice.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HippyChippie For This Useful Post:

barney_b (17-11-21), Deku Nut (17-11-21), Farmer Geddon (18-11-21), GEORGE (18-11-21), Mac (19-11-21), V8 (17-11-21)

Thanks

Thanks for the pointers. Went for the sf4000 in the end. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HippyChippie For This Useful Post:

barney_b (20-11-21), Deku Nut (20-11-21), Farmer Geddon (20-11-21), GEORGE (20-11-21), Mac (14-12-21), MrC (20-11-21), V8 (20-11-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 63,020 Times

Quote Originally Posted by HippyChippie View Post
    Thanks for the pointers. Went for the sf4000 in the end. Looking forward to seeing it in action.
    Good stuff mate, it's hard settling on a final choice, at least that agonys out the way

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

barney_b (20-11-21), Blue61 (20-11-21), Deku Nut (20-11-21), Farmer Geddon (20-11-21), GEORGE (20-11-21), Herbitual (20-11-21), Mac (14-12-21), V8 (14-12-21)

Thanks

Fella you just saved me a lot of heartache & cash.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LoveBudd For This Useful Post:

Deku Nut (14-12-21), Farmer Geddon (14-12-21), GEORGE (14-12-21), HippyChippie (14-12-21), Mac (14-12-21), V8 (14-12-21)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5