Thread: Bottom fed gravity system questions (Alien Easy Feed)

Thanks

Default Bottom fed gravity system questions (Alien Easy Feed)

I'm a beginner wondering if anyone has good experience with these systems. I am about to start running an alien easy feed system...

When keying in the system I had some issues with the timer (a valve that lets the water pass from the tank to the trays at regular intervals for a set amount of time, then it stopped working all together. I was advised to just take off the timer, which would mean there is a constant flow from the tank to the trays (the trays have a value to stop overfilling).

Essentially, the fabric pot will be constantly sitting in some feed. This seems like it could provide some issues i.e root rot...

I am using a Coco/pebble mix

Also I am wondering if I should hand water (top feed) initially for a while when the plants go into the (30l) fabric pots to ensure the plants/roots are settled before bottom feeding or can this cause issues?

One more thing, is it possible to flush the plants from the top every now and then to get over the issue of salt build up or could this just cause further problems?

Hope that makes sense, any help or other general guidance with these systems would be greatly appreciated

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wolfgang For This Useful Post:

Deku Nut (24-11-21), GEORGE (24-11-21), Mac (24-11-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

Similar to Autopots?

There are a few diaries about with members using these
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Bethmeg (24-11-21), Deku Nut (24-11-21), GEORGE (24-11-21), Mac (24-11-21), V8 (24-11-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,978 Times

I ran auto pots with coco and clay pebbles, good system and pretty bullet proof.
    Mine wasn't on a timer so was constantly moist but caused no issues.

One thing you want to do is have about an inch or two of clay balls in the bottom where it will be sitting in the water to help with aerating, you can can flush them but you will have to either pull out the pots or disconnect the tubing from the res and let it drain back out depends if there is a tap in your res to stop it emptying.

You can't use thick nutrients like organic or powdered with the auto pots as these will clog up the system so if you plan on using any of them you might want to check see fo you can with your system.

Might be worthwhile dropping in a recirculating pump in the res to keep things moving about aswell.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to funkydawg For This Useful Post:

barney_b (24-11-21), Bethmeg (24-11-21), Deku Nut (24-11-21), GEORGE (24-11-21), Mac (24-11-21), V8 (24-11-21), Wolfgang (25-11-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 19,812 Times

As funky says just have pebbles at the bottom.

But ideally you want to try and fix the timer.

I would advise anyone who is using a hydroponic system to always hand water first before putting in the system.
    Always make sure you have a good root set before it goes in as it’s so easy to drown the plant in the early days if you don’t.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bethmeg For This Useful Post:

barney_b (24-11-21), Deku Nut (24-11-21), GEORGE (24-11-21), IceCalibur (25-11-21), LewisR19 (25-11-21), Mac (24-11-21), M_C (24-11-21)

Thanks

Yes v similar system, in fact I think these systems have a constant flow of feed without a timer also...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wolfgang For This Useful Post:

Deku Nut (25-11-21), GEORGE (25-11-21)