Thread: Height impacted by temps & environment - also reducing yields?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,467 Times

Default Height impacted by temps & environment - also reducing yields?

Hey there,

I am in my 4th grow currently, all have been photo period, from seed, grown in an attic, enivironments have been extreem in both heat & cold. Question, is this a factor for final height of plant? Strain descriptions all stat the plant should reach 43" or 65" etc. But I get somewhere between 24 to 36 inches. I do not mind, to be honest, but I am wondering why this is. My yields still w average 2 to 3.5 ounces per plant, but wondering if it would be better yields if the height were taller.

Thanks,

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ToughCall For This Useful Post:

Allthegoodstuff1 (03-01-22), barney_b (28-11-21), Farmer Geddon (29-11-21), GEORGE (29-11-21), Jingo (29-11-21), Mac (29-11-21), scoot (29-11-21), V8 (28-11-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 19,812 Times

No you wouldn’t get better yields if the height was taller as the light would be further away from the bottom buds so they would not amount to much.

You don’t want tall plants in an indoor environment,certainly not 65”.
    If they did get tall you would have to train them anyway.
    What light are you running?
    I grow in the attic,you have to heat it up this time of year or it will affect the growth.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bethmeg For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (29-11-21), GEORGE (29-11-21), Jingo (29-11-21), Mac (29-11-21), scoot (29-11-21), V8 (28-11-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 20,238 Times

What lighting per square foot and what size pots?

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

Bethmeg (29-11-21), GEORGE (29-11-21), Jingo (29-11-21), Mac (29-11-21), scoot (29-11-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bethmeg View Post
    No you wouldn’t get better yields if the height was taller as the light would be further away from the bottom buds so they would not amount to much.

I grow in the attic,you have to heat it up this time of year or it will affect the growth.
    Would like to know more on how you manage your attic grows. I have had quite the learning experiance, all learned prior to knowing the knowledge from this forum... So yes still learning...

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ToughCall For This Useful Post:

Bethmeg (29-11-21), Farmer Geddon (29-11-21), GEORGE (29-11-21), Jingo (29-11-21), Mac (29-11-21), scoot (29-11-21)

Thanks

About the environment of my attic - My attic environment is pretty much like the outside temps, except no wind, rain, or snow hitting my plants. All other aspects related to hot or cold temps impact my plants. Secrete Jarden Tents, one 3 x 5 tent, & one 4 x 4 tent, 1500 watt oil based heater in each, two fans in each, two SF 2000 LEDs in the 3x5 tent, one - SF 4000 & one - SF 2000 in 4x4 tent, five 3 gallon smart pots in each tent, FFOF soil, Temp Range = 19.4 in the night, 23.3 in the day (celsius). RH 35% in flower. Water every two to three days. Botanicare line of nutrients. PPM 1800's at week 6, with 6.5pH. LEDs are 12 to 19 inches from plant tops. Canapy is fairly level, branching below trellis net shices into lower canopy to hit lower bud sites. The follage is well managed for air circulation.

Wish i could convince my wife to allow me to grow in our room, but the stigma is too great...

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ToughCall For This Useful Post:

Allthegoodstuff1 (03-01-22), Bethmeg (29-11-21), Farmer Geddon (29-11-21), GEORGE (29-11-21), Jingo (29-11-21), Mac (29-11-21), scoot (29-11-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCall View Post
    Would like to know more on how you manage your attic grows. I have had quite the learning experiance, all learned prior to knowing the knowledge from this forum... So yes still learning...
    It’s not cheap to do in the winter as I have an oil filled radiator that is on constant plus I have to heat the water.
    It’s just a room inside the attic made from rigid insulation boards.I have a window in the roof but I don’t open it in the winter.There’s enough gaps in the tiles and the eaves for the fresh air to get in.
    I extract from the little room into a carbon filter on the floor next to the room.No need to extract outside,I need that warm room temp to recirculate.
    Summertime is far easier especially with led.They can really thrive with hot temps if you have good ventilation.
    It’s really like growing outside but with a roof on lol,gotta love old houses.

I have a friend who also grows in the attic but it is plasterboarded out like a proper room,she struggles with humidity because of this.

What sort of attic do you have? Is it insulated ? Is it just the cold that’s the problem ?

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bethmeg For This Useful Post:

Allthegoodstuff1 (03-01-22), Farmer Geddon (29-11-21), GEORGE (29-11-21), Jingo (29-11-21), Mac (29-11-21), scoot (29-11-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCall View Post
    About the environment of my attic - My attic environment is pretty much like the outside temps, except no wind, rain, or snow hitting my plants. All other aspects related to hot or cold temps impact my plants. Secrete Jarden Tents, one 3 x 5 tent, & one 4 x 4 tent, 1500 watt oil based heater in each, two fans in each, two SF 2000 LEDs in the 3x5 tent, one - SF 4000 & one - SF 2000 in 4x4 tent, five 3 gallon smart pots in each tent, FFOF soil, Temp Range = 19.4 in the night, 23.3 in the day (celsius). RH 35% in flower. Water every two to three days. Botanicare line of nutrients. PPM 1800's at week 6, with 6.5pH. LEDs are 12 to 19 inches from plant tops. Canapy is fairly level, branching below trellis net shices into lower canopy to hit lower bud sites. The follage is well managed for air circulation.

Wish i could convince my wife to allow me to grow in our room, but the stigma is too great...

Posted at the same time lol
    Exactly the same conditions as me then.I feel your pain.I’m running a 600w hps alongside my led just for the heat.
    I’m not familiar with your lighting there’s so many different ones out there.It was far easier to advise when it was 400 or 600w hps.But obviously that’s an important factor.
    But your yield seems fair for soil and hand feeding.
    Yield is pheno dependent first and foremost then how you grow it comes second.
    Make sure water is room temp before watering thats important
    You seem to be managing it pretty well it could be a tad warmer but your temps are not unreasonable.
    Get a diary on the go best way to get the help you need.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bethmeg For This Useful Post:

Allthegoodstuff1 (03-01-22), barney_b (29-11-21), Farmer Geddon (29-11-21), GEORGE (29-11-21), Jingo (29-11-21), Mac (29-11-21), scoot (29-11-21)

Thanks

I'm in the United States, Central region. I have a two-story house with an attic. The attic floor is insulated to help keep heat inside the house. I had to build a floor over the insulated attic floor, so on top of the floor studs, I laid some plywood down where my two tents reside. The attic roof is not insulated, but is ventilated. The tents are 3' x 5' & 4' x 4' and I used 1" foam insulated boards and taped them around the perimeter of the tent sides and top. I use a double layered sleeping bag over the front door. It sounds crazy, but just short of building a dedicated room, which I could have done, it works well enough. I have a similar heater like yours, its good for getting to about 23 celsius when its super cold out. I could do more, but at the risk of fuses or fire, I leave it as is. The main thing I do manage most is its safety. I have had some really nice grows so far. This was my largest with five plants in each. But its a lot of work going to the atic with water and such. This grow started out so positive, but I get wrapped up with work, and get tired. So some of my waterings were 4 days apart vs three days, which can also be long. The cold temps do not allow the soil to dry as quick as warmer days, so that caused me to over water as well. Its been a challenge on this grow... but I'm very close now to harvest. Chemdog Gorilla is due on 12/21 the nine other plants finish up by Jan 7th 2022. So its at the last phase, I just need to be focused, hopefully I will come close to a bountiful harvest.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ToughCall For This Useful Post:

barney_b (29-11-21), Bethmeg (29-11-21), Farmer Geddon (29-11-21), GEORGE (29-11-21), Jingo (29-11-21), Mac (29-11-21), scoot (29-11-21)

Thanks

Well it’s sounds like you are doing all you can do,It’s not easy and remember any result is a good result if it keeps us sustained.If you are growing enough to get you through till the next harvest then happy days.
    But the better the conditions the better a plant will feed grow and produce generally.

Wish I’d have installed a proper floor like you,that’s one of my biggest regrets when we renovated

And yes the hardest part is managing how the water gets up and down there.
    Fortunately my system is automated so I don’t have to go up there every day to feed.

Have you thought about having a res up there ? You would obviously have to heat it.
    I don’t carry water up there,them days are long gone.I struggled to carry 15 litres so that can be a lot of trips.

I use a pipe attached to my bathroom shower head to fill the res.Saves a lot of hassle I just time the fill if no ones on hand to help turn the tap off.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6DD453ED-14A4-4208-B325-CADF95FCDABC.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	747.8 KB 
ID:	411939

I use a pump to pump back down any waste.

Do you have a plumber friend who could install a tap ?
    That’s something that’s on my agenda.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bethmeg For This Useful Post:

barney_b (29-11-21), Farmer Geddon (29-11-21), GEORGE (29-11-21), Mac (29-11-21)