Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Considering LED switch equivalent to 1000w HPS

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 19,812 Times

As time goes on the prices will get better no doubt,so biding your time is a good thing.Keep your eyes out for flash sales etc.

Good luck with whatever you decide as anything is better than HPS….No more burnt hair

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bethmeg For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (16-12-21), GEORGE (15-12-21), Mac (16-12-21), scoot (12-01-22), The G is Stoned (16-12-21), V8 (16-12-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 22,745 Times

I actually wouldnt mind hps as its cooled significantly in my basement

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Shaun For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (16-12-21), GEORGE (17-12-21), Mac (16-12-21), scoot (12-01-22), The G is Stoned (16-12-21), V8 (16-12-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,135 Times

If I were to stick with hps which I really don’t think I will but if I did I’d get a new digi ballast and go with a double ended bulb. I’ve never really looked into light efficiency before but it seems that single ended hps with a magnetic ballast is not the best option. I’d probably use one of these newer bulb types which I can’t remember the name of that give better efficiency and spectrum.

For me summer temps are always a real problem and as my house is small winter temps don’t really go much below 12c at night so an led on during the with lower fan speeds is possibly enough to raise temps to a manageable low.

I’ll keep checking stuff out and get in touch with LED Harry soon for some advice and info but I’m almost certain it’s going to be either the new Zeus 2.9, the HLG 650r or the migrow array 12 pro. I think either will give me loads of light for a 5’x5’ space, I just need to find out which has the best coverage to the edges as that’s important with a scrog.

Which ever one I choose I’m super excited as they seem miles ahead of my old hps so hopefully with a new light, tent and hydro system I’ll be able to have a really good scrog grow early next year which I’ll do a diary for (better than my last one here lol). I still managed 24oz in the end on my last grow with a 600w hps and a battle with stem rot the whole time but it really was a fight and I had a lot of popcorn, maybe close to half the harvest.

The HLG scorpion diablo (I think that’s what it’s called) looks like probably the best but I don’t know if I can spend that much realistically, I’d have to sell my bike or wife or something.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The G is Stoned For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (16-12-21), Farmer Geddon (16-12-21), GEORGE (17-12-21), Mac (16-12-21), scoot (12-01-22), V8 (11-01-22)

Thanks

HLG 600R best purchase ive ever made

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dantheman For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (11-01-22), GEORGE (12-01-22), scoot (12-01-22), The G is Stoned (18-01-22), V8 (11-01-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The G is Stoned View Post
    Hi all!

I’ve been using the same sort of set up for about 10 years now which has generally yielded good results but as I need to upgrade soon it seems like a good time to consider newer tech.

I generally grow in a 1.2 x 1.2 tent using a 600w hps, a Modified DWC wilma system and a scrog. I’d say I usually yield mid to high 20’s OZ from this but there are two main aspects of this light setup that I don’t like. 1 is heat as my nutrient water can get too warm and cause root issues. 2 is the light coverage of a single shade doesn’t reach the side and corners of the tent so the scrog screen is alway less dense in these areas so I’m losing yield there.
    I’ve used more lights in the past in order to cover the sides more but that pushes the heat up too much. Despite managing 31oz once doing this I don’t really want to do that again without a larger extractor and a water chiller.

I’m looking to get a new 1.5 x 1.5 meter tent which given that a 600w is barely enough for my current tent I’ll need a 1000w hps at least, so cost wise I’ll need a new 1000w digi ballast, new larger extractor fan, new ducting, new bulb and possibly a water chiller.. This is why I’m considering the led as I’m wondering if this would mean I don’t need to upgrade my fans or get a chiller. I’ve also had a ballast catch fire in the past and had the glass from a bulb simply drop off onto the canopy, leaving the core of the bulb expose and still on! This has made me a little nervous of hps lights.

If I did go down the led route, which lights would give a good footprint for a 1.5m x 1.5m tent and provide a similar output to a 1000w hps and are led lights suited for a scrog grow? I want to try and push up my gpw and will also be using a new hydro setup so I think my plants will actually make use of the improvement in lighting if I can provide it. Also what kind of life expectancy do modern led setups give? I’m looking through the forum trying to learn about led’s but it can be a little overwhelming lol, totally new tech for me!

I’ll continue reading through diaries and researching but any advise or input is very welcome ????
    If/when you swap. Just be ready for a few adjustments the environment willl change on you and will need dialling in. Also get a par meter if your able.

I have am using the Zeus 600 it’s amazing and they do a 1000 watt one now which is mental but hey ho.

Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eighttwo For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (11-06-22), GEORGE (11-06-22), V8 (11-06-22)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4