Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Coco watering - run to waste rigs discussion

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,114 Times

I just found a 4 way on Amazon Pssopp Aquarium Air Flow Splitter Fish Tank Air Control Valve Stainless Steel Aquarium Oxygen Distributor Fish Tank Air Pump Accessories (4 Way) ~Link removed~

Flimzy

Check out my diary! - https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...d.php?t=192457

AlienPro-ZeusPro-BudboxPro
    Last edited by IceCalibur; 21-01-22 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Link removed

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flimzy For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (14-01-22), GEORGE (14-01-22)

Thanks

Default Coco watering - run to waste rigs discussion

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_ View Post
    What happens when the water level goes down and your head pressure decreases? Won't that change the flow rate? Like if your res is full, it will flow faster than if its half full?
    As long as the pump is always submerged enough it will always flow at the rate you set. Mine use to run back to the res via gravity so I only had to top it up every now and then. But weekly/10day changes. But you could always just run a big water butt like 500ltr if you wasn’t recirculating the water. That way it will last hella long just put some air stones and a submerged pump in there to stop the water going stagnant

Edit* mine was a dwc so the water pump was on 24/7. You won’t need a very powerful pump if you’re only feeding say 2ltrs a plant a day. Just make sure to measure how much water you get in 60 seconds and youl know exactly how long to run the pump for. You won’t need the fan controller either for this.

Flimzy

Last edited by Flimzy; 14-01-22 at 07:55 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flimzy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flimzy View Post
    As long as the pump is always submerged enough it will always flow at the rate you set. Mine use to run back to the res via gravity so I only had to top it up every now and then. But weekly/10day changes. But you could always just run a big water butt like 500ltr if you wasn’t recirculating the water. That way it will last hella long just put some air stones and a submerged pump in there to stop the water going stagnant

Edit* mine was a dwc so the water pump was on 24/7. You won’t need a very powerful pump if you’re only feeding say 2ltrs a plant a day. Just make sure to measure how much water you get in 60 seconds and youl know exactly how long to run the pump for. You won’t need the fan controller either for this.

Flimzy

Right, but we're talking to run to waste in this thread not recirculating.

I've found if I put say like a 1000L per hour pump in a tank and attach it to a hose with one of those garden spray attachments, the pump will go way harder when the tank is full, and when the tank empties the pump doesn't pump as much water.... So 60 seconds when the tank is full, is different to 60 seconds when the tank is half full cos there less water head gravity pressure whatever it's called lmao.

What pump have you got that always puts out exactly even flow rate no matter what?

(This is zero attack, I'm just genuinely interested) and I appreciate your input into this I really do.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NZ_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,350 Times

I have not noticed a major change of head pressure when running the tank from top to bottom myself. I am sure some sort of differential exists cause, hey.. science.. but not sure that it is enough to matter unless you have a massive reservoir. This is purely a seat of my pants observation, and don't have a flowmeter to certify this speculation..

I am running a 37 gal Brute trash can reservoir and 27 gallon tote for waste. So far I am only running 10 gallons batches at a time in the reservoir, so head pressure differential tween top/bottom of tank may change on future grows when I up it to 20+ gallon runs.

As far as setup goes, this is what I am sporting..

Raised plant trey with Little mighty condensate pump underneath.. nutes come in from reservoir, hit plants, waste goes to mighty pump, gets pumped to waste tote, waste tote has pump and hose, when full it is discarded..

Attachment 414566

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220114-080230_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	414567

Name:	Screenshot_20220114-074842_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	414568

Name:	Screenshot_20220114-074924_Gallery.jpg 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	414570

Name:	Screenshot_20220114-074850_Gallery.jpg 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	414569
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220114-075129_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	414571  

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DomoArigato For This Useful Post:

barney_b (14-01-22), GEORGE (14-01-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_ View Post
    Right, but we're talking to run to waste in this thread not recirculating.

I've found if I put say like a 1000L per hour pump in a tank and attach it to a hose with one of those garden spray attachments, the pump will go way harder when the tank is full, and when the tank empties the pump doesn't pump as much water.... So 60 seconds when the tank is full, is different to 60 seconds when the tank is half full cos there less water head gravity pressure whatever it's called lmao.

What pump have you got that always puts out exactly even flow rate no matter what?

(This is zero attack, I'm just genuinely interested) and I appreciate your input into this I really do.
    Mine was a 1750ph pond pump but It was submerged in the res and it would suck water in from the bottom of the res so water levels didn’t change flow as long as the water never went below the pump level. It would work with drain to waste also just make sure you never let your water levels drop.

Flimzy

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flimzy For This Useful Post:

barney_b (14-01-22), Bethmeg (14-01-22), Farmer Geddon (14-01-22), GEORGE (14-01-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flimzy View Post
    Mine was a 1750ph pond pump but It was submerged in the res and it would suck water in from the bottom of the res so water levels didn’t change flow as long as the water never went below the pump level. It would work with drain to waste also just make sure you never let your water levels drop.

Flimzy

Ok sweet gotcha that will definitely not work for consistent watering

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NZ_ For This Useful Post:

barney_b (14-01-22), Farmer Geddon (14-01-22), GEORGE (14-01-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DomoArigato View Post
    I have not noticed a major change of head pressure when running the tank from top to bottom myself. I am sure some sort of differential exists cause, hey.. science.. but not sure that it is enough to matter unless you have a massive reservoir. This is purely a seat of my pants observation, and don't have a flowmeter to certify this speculation..

I am running a 37 gal Brute trash can reservoir and 27 gallon tote for waste. So far I am only running 10 gallons batches at a time in the reservoir, so head pressure differential tween top/bottom of tank may change on future grows when I up it to 20+ gallon runs.

As far as setup goes, this is what I am sporting..

Raised plant trey with Little mighty condensate pump underneath.. nutes come in from reservoir, hit plants, waste goes to mighty pump, gets pumped to waste tote, waste tote has pump and hose, when full it is discarded..

Attachment 414566

Name:	Screenshot_20220114-080230_Gallery.jpg 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	414567

Name:	Screenshot_20220114-074842_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	414568

Name:	Screenshot_20220114-074924_Gallery.jpg 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	414570

Name:	Screenshot_20220114-074850_Gallery.jpg 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	414569

This.... is.... absolutely brilliant.... you're obviously a skilled person that is so tidy man

But yeah we're still not gonna have even flow dammit!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NZ_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,350 Times

Hi NZ,

I feel like an external (non submersed) water transfer pump wouldn't be subjected to head pressure so much as a submersible pump. Might still be some differential from differing water column levels at different reservoir levels, but I feel like it would be minimized if the pump were external.. I have had this same thought myself with my current setup and may migrate over to something like that in coming time, but just overwatering a bit (for this and other reasons) currently to avoid salt buildup..

Name:	Screenshot_20220114-101848_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	343.5 KB 
ID:	414575

-Domo

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DomoArigato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 51,485 Times

What happens if there is a blockage in your runoff drains?

I guess I'm proper fucked. The drain holes are 1/2 inch and run into a hole in the center of the tent which also happens to be the low point and easiest path for water to escape. So if the drain blocked, I reckon I'd have 4-5 days until the trays filled up then they spill. Humidity would spike, alarms would sound. It'd be a real pain in the ass but not an emergency. Then again, it's only salty water. Coco isn't running out in any amount that could cause a blockage. So I've worried about this 0/10.

Name:	PXL_20220114_095737722.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	3.15 MB 
ID:	414589

What is the blue plastic box and the pipe coming out the top?

Res that is plumbed to the Floraflex System

Name:	PXL_20220114_095633212.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	939.9 KB 
ID:	414590

What kind of pump do you have?

This'n

Name:	pump.PNG 
Views:	25 
Size:	225.2 KB 
ID:	414591

Can you do a low down vid showing underneath and how all that works?

Can't do a vid today but it's just an oil pan down there. I think it holds 5 gallons.

Name:	PXL_20220114_095704329.jpg 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	414592

What do you do with the run off?

Scoop a bit out for the houseplants and dump the rest down the toilet. My situation requires only a brief walk. Doesn't warrant a dolly or waste line.

All that said, I'd aspire to be like Domo over there. Top kit and all that.

Cheers
    B

"The footsteps of the farmer is the best fertilizer."

Welcome to The Barnyard

18. The Following User Says Thank You to barney_b For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (14-01-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by barney_b View Post
    What happens if there is a blockage in your runoff drains?

I guess I'm proper fucked. The drain holes are 1/2 inch and run into a hole in the center of the tent which also happens to be the low point and easiest path for water to escape. So if the drain blocked, I reckon I'd have 4-5 days until the trays filled up then they spill. Humidity would spike, alarms would sound. It'd be a real pain in the ass but not an emergency. Then again, it's only salty water. Coco isn't running out in any amount that could cause a blockage. So I've worried about this 0/10.

Name:	PXL_20220114_095737722.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	3.15 MB 
ID:	414589

What is the blue plastic box and the pipe coming out the top?

Res that is plumbed to the Floraflex System

Name:	PXL_20220114_095633212.jpg 
Size:	939.9 KB 
ID:	414590

What kind of pump do you have?

This'n

Name:	pump.PNG 
Views:	25 
Size:	225.2 KB 
ID:	414591

Can you do a low down vid showing underneath and how all that works?

Can't do a vid today but it's just an oil pan down there. I think it holds 5 gallons.

Name:	PXL_20220114_095704329.jpg 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	414592

What do you do with the run off?

Scoop a bit out for the houseplants and dump the rest down the toilet. My situation requires only a brief walk. Doesn't warrant a dolly or waste line.

All that said, I'd aspire to be like Domo over there. Top kit and all that.

Cheers
    B
    Thank you very much sir this is amazing. I wish I had seen something like this a year ago. I also wish I knew about Floraflex a year ago and that it was available in my country.

Absolutely love your setup.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NZ_ For This Useful Post:

barney_b (14-01-22), Farmer Geddon (14-01-22)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast