Thread: Plants going yellow, nitrogen deficiency?

Thanks

Default Plants going yellow, nitrogen deficiency?

I’m into week 4/5 of flowering & over the last 2-3 weeks my plants have been getting more yellow. The ph levels have been sitting at 5.8-6.2. I’m using mills basis a & b with mills ultimate pk. I’m using autopot systems.

As I was on holiday I had them in veg for around 6 weeks & now 4 weeks flowering on Tuesday. Do I just need to do a 2 day flush & add a nitrogen booster? I’ll feed from the top to soak the soil ( 60/40 coco pebbles) for a couple of days.

I’ll attach a video thanks Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7176.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	386.9 KB 
ID:	413872
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7175.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	384.3 KB 
ID:	413873

Name:	IMG_7174.jpg 
Size:	382.9 KB 
ID:	413874

Name:	IMG_7173.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	397.1 KB 
ID:	413875

Name:	IMG_7172.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	430.1 KB 
ID:	413876

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RoccoG2021 For This Useful Post:

barney_b (02-01-22), Farmer Geddon (02-01-22), GEORGE (02-01-22), mpsj (02-01-22), scoot (02-01-22), V8 (01-01-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 51,488 Times

Your PK is a nitrogen reducer (thank you Farmer Geddon for coining that term). Adding N back into your feed will negate the pk boost and basically just increase your EC.

Drop the PK and your NER will swing back towards Nitrogen.

Maybe a bit more information on your fertigation?

Cheers
    B

"The footsteps of the farmer is the best fertilizer."

Welcome to The Barnyard

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to barney_b For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (02-01-22), GEORGE (02-01-22), M_C (02-01-22), V8 (02-01-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 15,810 Times

Quote Originally Posted by RoccoG2021 View Post
    I’m into week 4/5 of flowering & over the last 2-3 weeks my plants have been getting more yellow. The ph levels have been sitting at 5.8-6.2. I’m using mills basis a & b with mills ultimate pk. I’m using autopot systems.

As I was on holiday I had them in veg for around 6 weeks & now 4 weeks flowering on Tuesday. Do I just need to do a 2 day flush & add a nitrogen booster? I’ll feed from the top to soak the soil ( 60/40 coco pebbles) for a couple of days.

I’ll attach a video thanks Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7176.jpg 
Size:	386.9 KB 
ID:	413872

Name:	IMG_7175.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	384.3 KB 
ID:	413873

Name:	IMG_7174.jpg 
Size:	382.9 KB 
ID:	413874

Name:	IMG_7173.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	397.1 KB 
ID:	413875

Name:	IMG_7172.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	430.1 KB 
ID:	413876
    I'm not familiar with the nutes you are using but you do appear to have a N deficiency. I usually don't see that deficiency any sooner than week 7 which is normal. Good news is your buds look healthy. If it were mine with another 4 weeks to go I would likely add some N only. When adding N in bloom I provide it in the form of powered Amino Acid. In that form it's readily available for a quick fix. I don't see any need to flush but that's just my opinion.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mpsj For This Useful Post:

barney_b (02-01-22), Farmer Geddon (02-01-22), GEORGE (02-01-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mpsj View Post
    I'm not familiar with the nutes you are using but you do appear to have a N deficiency. I usually don't see that deficiency any sooner than week 7 which is normal. Good news is your buds look healthy. If it were mine with another 4 weeks to go I would likely add some N only. When adding N in bloom I provide it in the form of powered Amino Acid. In that form it's readily available for a quick fix. I don't see any need to flush but that's just my opinion.
    Appreciate the reply. Any specific brand you would use like canna mono? How much would you add? If you could give me a name/brand I would appreciate it. I’m just taking a lucky dip at this stage thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RoccoG2021 For This Useful Post:

barney_b (02-01-22), Farmer Geddon (02-01-22), GEORGE (02-01-22), V8 (02-01-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RoccoG2021 View Post
    Appreciate the reply. Any specific brand you would use like canna mono? How much would you add? If you could give me a name/brand I would appreciate it. I’m just taking a lucky dip at this stage thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I use GS Plant Foods Amino Acid Powder labeled 14-0-0. It's strong so I wouldn't use the recommended application rate in water. 1/8th ounce of this Power added to a gallon of distilled water will produce an EC of around 0.5 or about 350 ppm.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mpsj For This Useful Post:

barney_b (02-01-22), Farmer Geddon (02-01-22), GEORGE (02-01-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 19,812 Times

How often are you feeding ?

You say you will feed from the top for a couple of days so I’m assuming they are bottom fed ?
    A coco/pebble mix won’t wick as well as just plain coco so if feeding just from the bottom that could cause the issues you have.
    In fact there is very little coco in a 60/40 mix so if running powerful lights it will need more frequent watering.

Any good npk nutrient fed at the correct rate should see them through,but you have to get it all through the medium

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bethmeg For This Useful Post:

barney_b (02-01-22), Farmer Geddon (02-01-22), GEORGE (02-01-22), mpsj (02-01-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,054 Times

Quote Originally Posted by barney_b View Post
    Your PK is a nitrogen reducer (thank you Farmer Geddon for coining that term). Adding N back into your feed will negate the pk boost and basically just increase your EC.

Drop the PK and your NER will swing back towards Nitrogen.

Maybe a bit more information on your fertigation?

Cheers
    B
    I remember reading that nutrient affects another, but being that the p/k blocks the absorption of N, wouldnt adding be null? Wouldnt reducing the p/k be more effective? Genuine question, im starting to take a harder look at all this. I like this thread because its a clear case of a deficiency because the symptoms are present in the older leaves at the top of the plant, right?

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shaun For This Useful Post:

barney_b (12-01-22), Farmer Geddon (12-01-22), GEORGE (12-01-22), mpsj (12-01-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 20,238 Times

If it is true that adding PK increases yield, then one of 2 other things must be true. 1) Having too high a % of N reduces yield. 2) Growers are using an ec that is too low. Adding PK increases ec and (within reason) the % of N in the mix makes little difference. iow, they could have whacked up the ec of the basic nutes to increase yield.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

barney_b (12-01-22), GEORGE (12-01-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stokes View Post
    I remember reading that nutrient affects another, but being that the p/k blocks the absorption of N, wouldnt adding be null? Wouldnt reducing the p/k be more effective? Genuine question, im starting to take a harder look at all this. I like this thread because its a clear case of a deficiency because the symptoms are present in the older leaves at the top of the plant, right?
    In a nutshell, too much of either N, P or K will interact and affect plant absorption of these elements either positively (synergistic) or negative (antagonistic). The key is to have a balanced N-P-K. I never speculate on these interactions simply because they are a unique and very complex set of chemical reactions.
    For anyone who want to better understand of these reactions I recommend studying MULDER'S CHART.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mpsj For This Useful Post:

barney_b (12-01-22), Farmer Geddon (12-01-22), GEORGE (12-01-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 51,488 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Stokes View Post
    Excess PK blocks N not the presence of it.. But I think that's what you were saying here.

I agree that dropping PK would be the move. I'd drop PK (lower the EC) then use more of my flowering base (raise EC back up) and call it a day.

I sent you a link about mobile and immobile nutrients. Deficiencies can present on the newer leaves too. Usually from semi or immobile nutrients.

Wormhole in 3...2...1...

Enjoy

Cheers
    B

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barney_b For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (12-01-22), GEORGE (12-01-22)