Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: How do you germinate your seeds?

Thanks

For my third post on here I’ll say this lol,
    I soak seeds for a day or until they sink ,then ,straight into medium of choice .
    I like that taproot to strike straight down asap without damage and no curling ,if it’s older seed more than a few years old I do like to manually crack em with a gentle squeeze before I plant ,very seldom get any failures from reasonably fresh seeds and not too many overall .

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Shabba For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (14-02-23), GEORGE (10-02-23), IceCalibur (10-02-23), illearth67 (14-02-23), N4LUK (15-02-23), scoot (10-02-23)

Thanks

no, seeds are seeds, they all germinate the same, whether is photo,auto,tomatoe,cucumbers, etc

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to karnavor For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-02-23), illearth67 (14-02-23), N4LUK (15-02-23), scoot (10-02-23)

5. Default

I soak my seeds in water, they then get put straight into the medium the moment they sink to the bottom of the glass of water they are in, or after 24 hours, whichever comes sooner.

I used to use paper towels years ago, but I found even when being gentle I could damage those tiny fine hairs that were gripping into the paper towel, it doesn't cause major issues, but I wanted to avoid even the smallest damage, so stopped using that method.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

barney_b (10-02-23), CityDweller (14-02-23), GEORGE (10-02-23), illearth67 (14-02-23), N4LUK (15-02-23), scoot (10-02-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 51,488 Times

Quote Originally Posted by IceCalibur View Post
    I could damage those tiny fine hairs that were gripping into the paper towel, it doesn't cause major issues, but I wanted to avoid even the smallest damage, so stopped using that method.
    This is exactly why I stopped using the paper towel method. One of my auto blackberries clung to the towel and it must have damaged the roots. Slowed it down by a full week! In hindsight, should have cut the paper towel and planted that with it but that only dawns on me now that I've read someone else's account of it.

Cheers
    B

"The footsteps of the farmer is the best fertilizer."

Welcome to The Barnyard

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to barney_b For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (14-02-23), GEORGE (10-02-23), IceCalibur (11-02-23), illearth67 (14-02-23), N4LUK (15-02-23), scoot (10-02-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,797 Times

Great thread and good advice from everyone.
    I must be one of the lucky ones because I've always had good success with the paper towel method.
    I recently popped 6 seeds and 5 sprouted within a few days and are doing well.
    I grow in coco coir so when they've popped I place them into coco coir rapid rooters until they've rooted then into their final pots.
    I do pre soak them in tap water for about 16 hours before placing them in the towels and this definitely helps speed things up.
    The best advice I can give is don't pre soak them for more than 24 hours or you risk drowning the seeds.
    Don't soak the paper towels you want them damp but not wet or again you risk drowning the seeds.
    When they pop you can put them under a light immediately but not too close I find about 2 feet away is good for me.
    Get a fan on them asap to strengthen the stems.
    “The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.”

Winston Churchill

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to illearth67 For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (14-02-23), GEORGE (14-02-23), N4LUK (15-02-23), scoot (14-02-23), Valentina (09-10-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,221 Times

My methods have changed over time. For the recent past this is what I have done.

Soak seeds in water in a jam jar, with a small drop of glycerine, and a very, very small pinch of Assam tea leaves, and a drop of grow feed seems to work quite well for me. Then there is the added heat to keep all that at around 25 deg C.

Once the seeds have sunk, they go into a food tub with paper towel soaked with that "water" from the jam jar. My seeds are old, so I try to help them in every way I can.

Basically:
    Glycerine - lowers water surface tension. This is essentially that "Wet Betty" stuff. AFAIK helps the seeds absorb water.

Assam Tea - "The Internet says" that the tannins in the Assam tea helps with water absorption. I have no idea how, don't ask me. Seems to work though.

Grow fert - The increased N seems to help steer the seeds to become female, for regular seeds. This is according to RQS, although their blog or instructionals are not always consistent. On the other hand I have tried it without and did have a male or two in the past from regular seeds.

Increased heat - "confuses" the seed to think that it's spring, increases metabolism, gets the seeds going a little faster.
    One Love, and Mon The Talk!
    The Six L Rule: No Smell, No Tell, No Sell,
    And mind those deci-BELS

May we all cross the line safe and sound, time after time, everytime.

FORUM RULES

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (09-10-23), illearth67 (11-10-23), MrG (09-10-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,555 Times

Glass of water til split.
    Into medium.

Sent from my SM-F946B using Tapatalk

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrG For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (09-10-23), illearth67 (11-10-23), Valentina (09-10-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 51,488 Times

Quote Originally Posted by barney_b View Post
    It's not been that long and I'm already using a different method.

Search Term: Dutch Passion Germination

Basically the paper towel method but with round cotton makeup removal pads. 100% since I've been using this method including a few tests that went nowhere.

Hope that doesn't jinx it.

B
    Didn't jinx it. Still the most successful method I've ever used.

B

B

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to barney_b For This Useful Post:

Flyingscotsman (09-10-23), GEORGE (09-10-23), illearth67 (11-10-23)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4