Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Yellowing leaves from bottom.

Thanks

Hey guys thanks for the replies. I was leaning towards magnesium deficiency caused by the calcium in the water but seeming as I’m using half de ionised water surely I’m ok with the calcium levels in my water? Out the tap my ph is 7.2. I’m watering 2 litres. 1 litre is deionised water and the other half is tap water that goes through my Brita filter. (Should I scrap the filter?) also here is the info online about my local water

Calcium 145mg/l
    Total hardness 362mg.l

Temps 24/25 lights on
    20 lights off
    Humidity is around 50 to 55
    I thougt she was hungry so I did feed on Sunday but perhaps 2 ml per litre is just not enough with bio Flores. I can up feed but worried about lockout. Just because of the Colour mainly. Both the soil and the nutes apparently balance the ph. So I don’t mess with any oh down anymore.
    Last edited by Tusk85; 21-02-22 at 11:49 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tusk85 For This Useful Post:

Doink (22-02-22), Farmer Geddon (28-02-22), GEORGE (22-02-22), ToughCall (11-03-22), V8 (22-02-22)

Thanks

If it’s a ph level then I’m totally confused. If both my nutes and soil which are by the same company should buffer my ph then shouldn’t I be ok? I noticed in the past if I use ph down with this soil it brings the runoff to like 5.8. I think it’s the ph Down screwing with the soil. This is something I’ve read online. I am totally ignorant really to most of this. Still learning.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tusk85 For This Useful Post:

Doink (22-02-22), Farmer Geddon (28-02-22), GEORGE (22-02-22), ToughCall (11-03-22), V8 (22-02-22)

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tusk85 View Post
    Hey guys thanks for the replies. I was leaning towards magnesium deficiency caused by the calcium in the water but seeming as I’m using half de ionised water surely I’m ok with the calcium levels in my water? Out the tap my ph is 7.2. I’m watering 2 litres. 1 litre is deionised water and the other half is tap water that goes through my Brita filter. (Should I scrap the filter?) also here is the info online about my local water

Calcium 145mg/l
    Total hardness 362mg.l

Temps 24/25 lights on
    20 lights off
    Humidity is around 50 to 55
    I thougt she was hungry so I did feed on Sunday but perhaps 2 ml per litre is just not enough with bio Flores. I can up feed but worried about lockout. Just because of the Colour mainly. Both the soil and the nutes apparently balance the ph. So I don’t mess with any oh down anymore.
    Calcium 145mg/l & Total hardness 362mg/l is pretty damn high for sure, so I don't blame you for trying Brita filter & and deionised water mix..and I'm just wondering now if you're leaning more towards soft water with that mix

Are you able to check the EC of that brita/deionised mix you've created?..you can pick up a cheap EC pen to check, (budget EC pens/meters are fine, but for those wanting a PH pen, would be best to invest in a more quality measuring instrument).

Your environment seems fine with the numbers you've given.

You water 2L..but how big are your pots?

Are you making sure to get the medium fully saturated, achieving some runoff? and not allowing the soil to get too dry between watering (can get anaerobic if left too long), I'm worried since you mentioned the soil becoing very hard, that it might be being left a little too long?

Was she yellowing before you gave her first feed on Sunday?..could be you was a little late with the feed.

I'd spray her with some Epsom salts (again raise lights until dry, then bring them back down)...I would also hold off on increasing feed, but if you increase, then just try in very small increments.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

Doink (22-02-22), Farmer Geddon (28-02-22), GEORGE (22-02-22), Herbitual (22-02-22), V8 (22-02-22)

7. Default

Oh and how I make up an epsom foliar mix ;

Dissolve 1 teaspoon of Epsom salts in around 200 ml of hot water then make up to 1 litre with cold water, then use as a foliar spray.

I think you'll only be able to do this once mind..as doing it again after this point is risky.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

Doink (22-02-22), Farmer Geddon (28-02-22), GEORGE (22-02-22), Herbitual (22-02-22), ToughCall (11-03-22), V8 (22-02-22)

Thanks

Right going to get on the Epsom salts.. I’ve never looked into Epsom salts. I just mix with water and spray?

Pot is 15 litre, perhaps at the start I was letting them dry off too much. Going 3 to 4 days. So I think that might be the issue there.

I wondered if now with the filter and deionised water if I wasn’t leaning towards soft water. If that’s so it’s almost comical it’s one issue right into the next. . I have two essentials ph pens that I callibrate all the time. I’ll get an ec pen, only reason I didn’t is I thought it wasn’t such an issue with soil. I guess when you have normalish water it’s not a problem? I’ll come back with my ec readings as soon as I get them. Thanks again

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tusk85 For This Useful Post:

Doink (22-02-22), Farmer Geddon (28-02-22), GEORGE (22-02-22), V8 (22-02-22)

11. Default

If it’s a ph level then I’m totally confused. If both my nutes and soil which are by the same company should buffer my ph then shouldn’t I be ok? I noticed in the past if I use ph down with this soil it brings the runoff to like 5.8. I think it’s the ph Down screwing with the soil. This is something I’ve read online. I am totally ignorant really to most of this. Still learning.
    You'll find mixed opinion on this..some PH their water in soil, others don't think it's necessary at all, we've had some great discussions on this recently.

The soil does buffer PH to a certain extent, and as long as your PH is not at the extremes, then should be fine not adjusting.

Stick around for more opinions on your issue in general though Tusk85, others may be able to chip in with some help here too

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

Doink (22-02-22), Farmer Geddon (28-02-22), GEORGE (22-02-22), Tusk85 (22-02-22)

Thanks

It’s going in at 6.6 to 6.7. That I’m sure of!

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tusk85 For This Useful Post:

Doink (22-02-22), Farmer Geddon (28-02-22), GEORGE (22-02-22), V8 (22-02-22)

15. Default

It’s going in at 6.6 to 6.7. That I’m sure of!
    In my opinion, you don't need to adjust that PH.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

Doink (22-02-22), Farmer Geddon (28-02-22), GEORGE (22-02-22), Tusk85 (22-02-22), V8 (22-02-22)

17. Default

Right going to get on the Epsom salts.. I’ve never looked into Epsom salts. I just mix with water and spray?

Pot is 15 litre, perhaps at the start I was letting them dry off too much. Going 3 to 4 days. So I think that might be the issue there.

I wondered if now with the filter and deionised water if I wasn’t leaning towards soft water. If that’s so it’s almost comical it’s one issue right into the next. . I have two essentials ph pens that I callibrate all the time. I’ll get an ec pen, only reason I didn’t is I thought it wasn’t such an issue with soil. I guess when you have normalish water it’s not a problem? I’ll come back with my ec readings as soon as I get them. Thanks again
    I posted the Epsom salts ratio I use, for you above

Yeaahhh I know what you mean bud, if it's not one extreme, it's another lol..the way I look at it, since you're mixing your own out of the Brita Filter and deionised water, then it might be worth checking going forward, doesn't need a big investment, a budget EC pen will work perfectly fine. and you're welcome bud

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

Doink (22-02-22), Farmer Geddon (28-02-22), GEORGE (22-02-22), Tusk85 (22-02-22), V8 (22-02-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IceCalibur View Post
    I posted the Epsom salts ratio I use, for you above

Yeaahhh I know what you mean bud, if it's not one extreme, it's another lol..the way I look at it, since you're mixing your own out of the Brita Filter and deionised water, then it might be worth checking going forward, doesn't need a big investment, a budget EC pen will work perfectly fine. and you're welcome bud

I gave them a spray with the Epsom salts. The lights are off now for 4 hours. Was wondering if I Should I make sure to keep the lights a bit higher or reduce power when they come back on?

Cheers

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tusk85 For This Useful Post:

Doink (22-02-22), Farmer Geddon (28-02-22), GEORGE (22-02-22)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast