Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: When to top?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 15,808 Times

Quote Originally Posted by nicp View Post
    Newbie here never topped plant before... Are these little plants ready to top yet or not. Thanks
    I've cloned dozens but only ever cloned from vegging mothers. I'm not very forgiving when it comes to topping clones. Clones can get leggy so I like to keep the plant short. If those were mine I would leave 3 nodes then take the rest off above and LST from there.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mpsj For This Useful Post:

barney_b (04-03-22), GEORGE (04-03-22), Monty Bong (06-03-22), V8 (04-03-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 15,808 Times

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    That's worked for me in the past
    Yep...another option.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mpsj For This Useful Post:

barney_b (04-03-22), GEORGE (04-03-22), V8 (04-03-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,955 Times

i am only a novice, but i would say it is good to top now.
    clones are weird to top and, as mentioned, often bending them over is better. i top mine to buy time for a perpetual harvest, but i have done both and i would say bending them over is better because it is faster and you are not wasting any growth.

something i learnt that changed how i think of topping, is that the highest point is where the apex will be, rather than at the end of the main branch/es. this means that when you bend the stem over you move the apex to another point (or spread across multiple points), the same as you do when you top the plant, so the result is essentially the same but you stress the plant more when you top it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to forager For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-03-22), TightNugs (06-03-22)

Thanks

I can see the clone has been taken from a mature mother plant because the nodes are staggered. Personally I would be topping her now, the two growing shoots beneath the cut will take the place of the main growing tip, leave it a week or two and top those tips and she’ll bush out nicely.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Monty Bong For This Useful Post:

forager (08-03-22), GEORGE (06-03-22), mpsj (06-03-22), TightNugs (06-03-22)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2