Thread: Kelp Foiler feed during flower

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,467 Times

Default Kelp Foiler feed during flower

Hello there,

Read some posts on natural PRGs, sounds like Kelp could be beneficial using as foiler feed and using with general feedings during flowering stage. Not looking for controlling plant height, seems my LST and defoliation process does fine there ??

Anyway, I'm growing in soil, using Greenleaf Nutrients MC & BE. Things are going well in week 4 of flower, and trying to do my best. Is spraying Kelp on new buds 1 hours before lights off advisable to firm up buds?

I've also read where foiler feeding during flower is a no no due to risk of bud rot. When buds are still developing, and there is nice spacing, it seems there would be little to no issue for foiler spraying.

Any feedback on value for spraying Kelp on new flowers prior to lights off during weeks 4, 5, and 6 of flower? My current grow is Blue Dream and ChemDog Gorilla both are photo period plants.

Thanks,

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ToughCall For This Useful Post:

B1unt (16-12-23), CityDweller (24-04-22), GEORGE (24-04-22), scoot (24-04-22), V8 (24-04-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,169 Times

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCall View Post
    Hello there,

Read some posts on natural PRGs, sounds like Kelp could be beneficial using as foiler feed and using with general feedings during flowering stage. Not looking for controlling plant height, seems my LST and defoliation process does fine there ??

Anyway, I'm growing in soil, using Greenleaf Nutrients MC & BE. Things are going well in week 4 of flower, and trying to do my best. Is spraying Kelp on new buds 1 hours before lights off advisable to firm up buds?

I've also read where foiler feeding during flower is a no no due to risk of bud rot. When buds are still developing, and there is nice spacing, it seems there would be little to no issue for foiler spraying.

Any feedback on value for spraying Kelp on new flowers prior to lights off during weeks 4, 5, and 6 of flower? My current grow is Blue Dream and ChemDog Gorilla both are photo period plants.

Thanks,
    I would be worried about the kelp changing the flavor of the flowers. I would not spray anything on my flowers. Plus the increased mold risk seam worrisome.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

B1unt (16-12-23), CheapHomeGrown (24-04-22), GEORGE (24-04-22), Samwise Gamgee (24-04-22), scoot (24-04-22), ToughCall (24-04-22), V8 (24-04-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,467 Times

Got it.

I would guess if it were widely practiced with repeatable results, there would be more content about it.
    Most posts seem to steer clear of the synthetic PRGs like Rox etc., as they can be harmful, except perhaps commercial market to maintain a specific height/growth parameters.

So foiler feeding is in weeks 4, 5 & 6 can introduce those nutrient flavors into the bud?
    I am currently using molasses in my waterings as of week 4, but that is to feed the soil and hopefully fatten up the bud. More widely accepted as it seems.

thanks,

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ToughCall For This Useful Post:

B1unt (16-12-23), CityDweller (24-04-22), GEORGE (24-04-22), scoot (24-04-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,169 Times

Got it.

I would guess if it were widely practiced with repeatable results, there would be more content about it.
    Most posts seem to steer clear of the synthetic PRGs like Rox etc., as they can be harmful, except perhaps commercial market to maintain a specific height/growth parameters.

So foiler feeding is in weeks 4, 5 & 6 can introduce those nutrient flavors into the bud?
    I am currently using molasses in my waterings as of week 4, but that is to feed the soil and hopefully fatten up the bud. More widely accepted as it seems.

thanks,
    Yeah. Molasses in the soil is a good way to go. Anything you spray on the flowers will eventually be smoked.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-04-22), scoot (24-04-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 17,171 Times

Hi TC,

Kelp is great as a foliar spray, as it has elements that draw in nutrients, I usually foliar spray with kelp extract in the last few weeks of veg, it also helps with lateral rather than vertical growth, so your plants will bush out more without getting too tall.

General rule of thumb when using kelp as a foliar spray, only use once a week, I also add yucca extract to foliar spray as this depolarises the water, and means that the foliar spray doesnt bead up and evenly spreads on the leaves.

The other rule is I would only use a foliar spray, in any circumstances until the first week of flower, after that you will cause more issues, than gaining anything.

Goodluck
    Last edited by Samwise Gamgee; 24-04-22 at 08:22 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Samwise Gamgee For This Useful Post:

B1unt (16-12-23), CityDweller (24-04-22), GEORGE (24-04-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 17,171 Times

Got it.

thanks,
    I have used Rox before but again if you use this be very careful and maybe only use once in the second week of flower, tbh I wouldn't use it personally as their are some very damning reports in its affects and also the taste of the weed. Kelp is a natural PGR, and is organic so much more plant freindly than anything synthetic. But in small amounts you can use Rox to control the stretch of the plants if they are getting too tall, and growing into your lights.

Mollases are a great additive to use if you are growing in soil, they dont actually fatten up the bud in anyway. or make it sweeter, but they feed enzymes in the soil that the produce carbo hydrates which in turn feed the plants and fatten up the buds, but word of warning, mollasses are great in soil not good in coco of hydro

Again, good luck, your asking some very good questions
    Last edited by Samwise Gamgee; 24-04-22 at 08:33 PM.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Samwise Gamgee For This Useful Post:

B1unt (16-12-23), CityDweller (24-04-22), GEORGE (24-04-22), ToughCall (24-04-22)