Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Are those aromas really there?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,066 Times

Quote Originally Posted by V8 View Post
    Yeah lol. You are correct. I was talking about room temp.
    I neglected to mention a temperature swing between day & night (I believe) is perfectible acceptable, given in happens naturally (in that real world outside place I read about on the interwebs ). My main gripe is when the lights shut off & the temperature drops humidity spikes.

Put a heater on a timer so it can only run during the dark period. Lights go off, temperature drops, heater comes on, RH doesn't spike & plant stretch is minimised.

Pimms o'clock bitches
    B1unt XIII: Chemdogging & Sour Diesel - https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...post1071304159

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to B1unt For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (07-05-22), Farmer Geddon (07-05-22), GEORGE (06-05-22), scoot (25-06-22), ToughCall (06-05-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,467 Times

I grew Kryptonite which smelled like a tropical drink while it was in flower. When it dried; smoke was a very earthy for taste. Blue Dream and Lavender however, were two strains that delivered on both. Blue Dream - STRONG berries smell, like the cereal Fruity Pebbles. The taste was similar, but suttle, which is why I am growing it again. Lavender from Expert Seeds, was also an amazing smell while growing and it did smell & taste earthy but with hint of lavender. Very pleasent and recomended.

Those experiance led me to pick up some overpriced exotic seeds from Solfire Gardens, but havent started them yet. The images of their Happy Hour strain make those ladies look like top shelf hookers!!! So much eye candy, i get giddy!!!
    I sub to another forum and some claims from well known breeders define thier feeds and althought they might appear to be explaining their process, it seems unlikely they can get the results they state based on the high ECs they're providing. Example - Jungle Boys state they feed a 2.5 to 3.0 EC from week 4 of veg to finish. They use LED in veg and HPS in flower. When you see their flowers, they are so beautiful, no issues or brown tips. So how can those EC levels bring that level of dank and beauty? Technology and science have come a long way for cannabis. Multi billion dollar industry for supplies, nutrients and the marketing is bolder than ever! Rec despensaries used to proudly state no-pestisides or growth hormones, but that has faded away quietly. They have more and more designer brands and surpassing 26% THC, its hard to say they are achieving those levels organicly.

All I really know, is that I am so glad I started growing and no longer use Rec Despensaries. When I smoke with friends and hear those compliments, it makes all the work I put into growing, well worth it! And I have all you fine growers to thank, for helping me to get here.

Peace

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ToughCall For This Useful Post:

B1unt (22-06-22), CityDweller (07-05-22), Farmer Geddon (07-05-22), GEORGE (07-05-22), IceCalibur (07-05-22), scoot (25-06-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B1unt View Post
    I like to keep my day & night temperature swings low & stable, more so to control the stretch. It does make sense if the plant stretches less I guess it would end up stockier & denser. Not sure that would increase yield though, but could do I suppose?

I think stable is good, the plant doesn't have to adjust to anything (which could well be while they grow better).

Returning to the original post does your weed all smell like hay?

There is an art to drying & curing harvested flower (pretty sure it involves air conditioning)
    After being chopped and hung to dry, it smells like sweet vanilla regardless of what strain. Quite noticeable and pleasant. Nice smell but nothing like the "rapturous delicate aromas" quoted by the seed sellers. Smokes a bit like hay nevertheless - or so I'm told. Personally, I use a dry vape so no combustion. Mind you, its been a bloody hot summer over here, bush fires everywhere. That kinda weather knocks the girls around something shocking and its hard to get tight buds as they tend to foxtail a fair bit.

I grow in an outside shed but I dry, condition and trim in a cool inside room. The house is air-conditioned.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to doleritejack For This Useful Post:

B1unt (22-06-22), barney_b (22-06-22), CheapHomeGrown (07-05-22), CityDweller (07-05-22), Farmer Geddon (07-05-22), GEORGE (07-05-22), scoot (25-06-22), ToughCall (07-05-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,169 Times

Ken's Grandaddy Purple has a purple phenotype that smells and tastes like artificial grape flavor. Like a grape scented marker from when i was a kid.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

B1unt (22-06-22), barney_b (22-06-22), Farmer Geddon (07-05-22), GEORGE (07-05-22), IceCalibur (07-05-22), scoot (25-06-22), ToughCall (14-05-22)

9. Default

In my opinion, there are very subtle hints of aromas that can be found..however the strongest scent being the one we're all familiar with and why many of us don't really smell much else.

I have personally smelt many different aromas, for example.. lemon, grape, mint, mixed fresh fruit & mixed decaying fruit, skittlez, water melon (this was really strong and happened to be my favourite), all at varying intensity, but always a secondary scent to that 'known' cannabis aroma.

The Sour Stomper I have growing now is already smelling like a mix of grapes and lemons

I'd like to try a good and strong bubblegum scented strain in the future.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

B1unt (22-06-22), barney_b (22-06-22), CheapHomeGrown (07-05-22), CityDweller (07-05-22), Farmer Geddon (07-05-22), GEORGE (07-05-22), scoot (25-06-22), ToughCall (14-05-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,169 Times

I used to grow this strain called Anastasia that smelled like cat pee when growning. Once dried it just smelled like piney weed.

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

B1unt (22-06-22), barney_b (22-06-22), CheapHomeGrown (07-05-22), Farmer Geddon (07-05-22), GEORGE (07-05-22), IceCalibur (07-05-22), scoot (25-06-22), TightNugs (22-06-22), ToughCall (14-05-22)

Thanks

I must have cursed myself. My 2nd grow of Blue Dream, now dried & cured, smells like weed, but missing that "Berry" smell & taste. So dissapointed. Same seed grouping & genetics. Looks great, but I missed the harvest sweet spot.or simply dried too long
    On the flip side, my ChemDog Gorilla turned out better than last grow, but I tried so hard to repeat the Blue Dream's profile.

Cheers

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ToughCall For This Useful Post:

B1unt (22-06-22), barney_b (22-06-22), GEORGE (22-06-22), scoot (25-06-22), TightNugs (22-06-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,809 Times

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCall View Post
    I must have cursed myself. My 2nd grow of Blue Dream, now dried & cured, smells like weed, but missing that "Berry" smell & taste. So dissapointed. Same seed grouping & genetics. Looks great, but I missed the harvest sweet spot.or simply dried too long
    On the flip side, my ChemDog Gorilla turned out better than last grow, but I tried so hard to repeat the Blue Dream's profile.

Cheers
    Might just be a different pheno mate on the blue dream.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TightNugs For This Useful Post:

B1unt (22-06-22), barney_b (22-06-22), GEORGE (22-06-22), scoot (25-06-22), ToughCall (22-06-22)

Thanks

True, thanks for keeping me on the upside!

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ToughCall For This Useful Post:

barney_b (22-06-22), GEORGE (22-06-22), scoot (25-06-22), TightNugs (22-06-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 51,467 Times

Used to work at a fancy restaraunt that served high end wine. Some of them were in the 10s of thousands of dollars. Mostly for show in a display case.

Anyways, the local uni had a sommelier course. The restaraunt paid for them to come out to train us.

I went in with the "it smells like wine" attitude but the instructor was fanstastic. He was saying that the most important thing was learning how to think about smells rather than being able to pick them out. We all smells things differently. We can both be wrong and correct about a smell. His whole thing was that smell is most strongly linked to memories. So try and open yourself up to a memory perhaps that the smell sparked.
    For example, I said something smelled like a new pair of boots while this other fellow said it was currant. Well I never smelled any currant but I've had some Timberlands.
    And guess what, some folks still said, "smells like wine". They aren't meant to be sommeliers just like I'm not born to be a volleyball player.

Identifying smells is a skill that is developed. Some people are more genetically gifted at it.

Lots of wine. Lots of close-eyed slurping and reflection. Good times.

Carrying over to canna:
    My sister may smell cantalope and mint on a strain, while I'll smell citrus fruit. My wife smells weed.

Hmmm, perhaps a part of why the same cultivar hits people differently?? Different perception of the entourage effect maybe.

All of my weed smells different and I'd bet money I can guess at least 6 out of 8 in a blindfolded test. That said, without GPS, I can't navigate for shit.

Cheers

B

edit to say 'slurping' should have said 'retronasal tasting' but I hate to sound pretentious.
    Last edited by barney_b; 22-06-22 at 06:55 PM.

"The footsteps of the farmer is the best fertilizer."

Welcome to The Barnyard

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to barney_b For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (25-06-22), GEORGE (22-06-22), scoot (25-06-22), ToughCall (25-06-22)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast