Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is it too late for Silica

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 15,810 Times

Quote Originally Posted by barney_b View Post
    In the water for me too. Can a plant move silica from the leaves down to the stems? In my mind, silica was similar to an immobile nutrient. Once it's there it there..

Anyone?
    My tap water contains silica (4 mg/l) so I don't add silica supplements, but if I had too I would do cautiously and sparingly. Si is only needed by plants in very small amounts... so it's very easy to overdose. It's needed for plant functions but not really an enhancer of anything JMO.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mpsj For This Useful Post:

barney_b (18-05-22), Blue61 (18-05-22), CityDweller (18-05-22), GEORGE (18-05-22), ToughCall (19-05-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 51,488 Times

Quote Originally Posted by mpsj View Post
    My tap water contains silica (4 mg/l) so I don't add silica supplements, but if I had too I would do cautiously and sparingly. Si is only needed by plants in very small amounts... so it's very easy to overdose. It's needed for plant functions but not really an enhancer of anything JMO.
    I'll have to disagree. Funny you mention that though because I was just listening to this today and they went into silicone. The mad scientist sent it to me.

Si enhances branch thickness allowing for greater uptake. Think "bigger highways".
    Si enhances a plant's ability to fight off pests.
    Si enahnces a plants resistance to stress.
    Si regulates plant uptake of iron, manganese and aluminium

Si is the most abundant element in the Earth's crust. Those plants outside are growing in tons of the stuff man.

There's a lot of research out there that shows how important Si is and in my personal grows, I'm much happier with thicker stems that aren't flopping over mid flower.

To each their own. I'm going to be doubling my Si on my next coco grow.

Cheers
    B

"The footsteps of the farmer is the best fertilizer."

Welcome to The Barnyard

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to barney_b For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (18-05-22), GEORGE (18-05-22), mpsj (18-05-22), ToughCall (19-05-22)

Thanks

I'll have to disagree. Funny you mention that though because I was just listening to this today and they went into silicone. The mad scientist sent it to me.

Si enhances branch thickness allowing for greater uptake. Think "bigger highways".
    Si enhances a plant's ability to fight off pests.
    Si enahnces a plants resistance to stress.
    Si regulates plant uptake of iron, manganese and aluminium

Si is the most abundant element in the Earth's crust. Those plants outside are growing in tons of the stuff man.

There's a lot of research out there that shows how important Si is and in my personal grows, I'm much happier with thicker stems that aren't flopping over mid flower.

To each their own. I'm going to be doubling my Si on my next coco grow.

Cheers
    B
    Those aren't enhancements, those are all functions.

..."doubling my Si"...
    And what dose would that be?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mpsj For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (19-05-22), GEORGE (18-05-22), ToughCall (19-05-22)

Thanks

Semantics.

Add silicone to boobs, breast enhancements. Add silica to stems, stem enhancements.

I ran .5mL/L from day 1.

B
    Last edited by barney_b; 18-05-22 at 04:30 AM.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to barney_b For This Useful Post:

Bethmeg (18-05-22), CityDweller (19-05-22), GEORGE (18-05-22), mpsj (18-05-22), ToughCall (19-05-22)

Thanks

Semantics.

Add silicone to boobs, breast enhancements. Add silica to stems, stem enhancements.

I ran .5mL/L from day 1.

B
    Been waiting for a talk on Si from a user.
    Have you done side-by-side grows...one with/one without Si supplement?
    Do you have silica in your water?
    0.5ml/L daily, weekly, monthly)?

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mpsj For This Useful Post:

barney_b (18-05-22), CityDweller (19-05-22), GEORGE (18-05-22), ToughCall (19-05-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mpsj View Post
    Been waiting for a talk on Si from a user.
    Have you done side-by-side grows...one with/one without Si supplement?
    Do you have silica in your water?
    0.5ml/L daily, weekly, monthly)?
    I've grown in coco with silica and without, the differences: thicker stems (obv), tougher leaves, didn't have to use yo-yos later in flower.
    Because I use a resevoir, I didn't do a clone side by side with and without however. And different strains so I'm unable to judge yield, tbf.

My water is angel tears. 0 silica. Almost 0 calcium too... .17EC
    Resevoir so it's .5ml/L every watering until 20% runoff.

A grower in 2022 is more knowledgable after 1 year of growing than a grower in 1999 after 1 year of growing... Read it again. I stand by it. The reason being, the information is more widely available and changing laws make real research an option now. So after our interaction, I needed to make sure I'm not full of it so I hopped down another rabbit hole in lieu of proper sleep.

I'm well satisfied in my stance having picked the minds of better growers and researchers than I.

It's like the time someone said "photos > autos" because autos don't get as frosty. Meanwhile, there's a whole internet out there disagreeing. I'm not the source.

I'm Cliff. These are my notes.

Cheers
    B

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to barney_b For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (19-05-22), GEORGE (18-05-22), mpsj (18-05-22), ToughCall (19-05-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 35,499 Times

If you grow in soil you shouldn't need it. Plenty of Si in soil already.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Blue61 For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (19-05-22), GEORGE (18-05-22), IceCalibur (18-05-22), mpsj (18-05-22), ToughCall (19-05-22)

Thanks

I've grown in coco with silica and without, the differences: thicker stems (obv), tougher leaves, didn't have to use yo-yos later in flower.
    Because I use a resevoir, I didn't do a clone side by side with and without however. And different strains so I'm unable to judge yield, tbf.

My water is angel tears. 0 silica. Almost 0 calcium too... .17EC
    Resevoir so it's .5ml/L every watering until 20% runoff.

A grower in 2022 is more knowledgable after 1 year of growing than a grower in 1999 after 1 year of growing... Read it again. I stand by it. The reason being, the information is more widely available and changing laws make real research an option now. So after our interaction, I needed to make sure I'm not full of it so I hopped down another rabbit hole in lieu of proper sleep.

I'm well satisfied in my stance having picked the minds of better growers and researchers than I.

It's like the time someone said "photos > autos" because autos don't get as frosty. Meanwhile, there's a whole internet out there disagreeing. I'm not the source.

I'm Cliff. These are my notes.

Cheers
    B
    Sorry to hear about your water quality. I would add some silica too as well if it wasn't for my tap water....hence my questions with answers.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mpsj For This Useful Post:

barney_b (18-05-22), Blue61 (18-05-22), CityDweller (19-05-22), GEORGE (18-05-22), IceCalibur (18-05-22), ToughCall (19-05-22)

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Blue61 View Post
    This is what I've always thought to be true too

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

barney_b (18-05-22), Blue61 (18-05-22), CityDweller (19-05-22), GEORGE (18-05-22), ToughCall (19-05-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue61 View Post
    Great point... in soil they're already in usable silicate forms that are readily available whenever roots want it and as much they want. Nature makes it easy.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mpsj For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (18-05-22), CityDweller (19-05-22), GEORGE (18-05-22), ToughCall (19-05-22)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast