Thread: Outdoor Stealth Grow Questions - Autoflower

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,350 Times

Default Outdoor Stealth Grow Questions - Autoflower

Hi all,

So I currently have two plants growing in an indoor grow which is doing well, and not like I need to add anything else to my plate, but I had an idea..

Spring is in the air here, I am legally allowed 4 plants, I have acres of wooded property behind my home that is rarely travelled, and I have enough auto seeds on hand to hold me over for years of growing (not gonna lie, I just want to dip into the strains that I haven't grown yet and don't mind if I so happen to fail).

I don't want to go back there on the daily checking on them (I probably will anyways), but wanted to treat this like a guerilla grow (breaking the law simulator). I read a bit on the outdoor grow section Sticky's, but wanted to run my gameplan by some of you folks that are more experienced and that would be kind enough to give me a couple of pointers or correct my plan before underway..

So here's my plan so far..

I bought a couple small bags of standard Miracle grow potting mix. In doing a bit of reading in the stickys, I feel like I should work my holes bigger than initially planned, so thinking that I will get a couple of bigger bags of better dirt on the way home today.

I was reading a user in another forum recommend the use of cedar pellets "cedarcide" around the plants to fend off bugs, etc. Couldn't find any locally, but got a big bag of cedar shavings that I will lay around the site to hopefully have simikar effect.

Thats my plan so far. Thoughts?

No, but seriously I have not gotten too far past this so far. Thoughts are still very fluid and blind brainstorming is in motion!

These are the thoughts that I am currently trying to iron out:

- We have a series of ATV trails that connect numerous properties, but don't get travelled much. If they actually are ridden on, then most of the time it's by somebody who is "cool" and wouldn't be shocked by the sight/smell of it. Otherwise, it's legal and I don't think that any others woukd bother them if they so happened to come upon them. Otherwise, there may be the occasional group of neighbors kids (or my own) that may go back there, but doubtful as things get hotter and woods more filled with creepy crawleys.. This be known, I am going back there today with the intent of finding a spot that is #1 out of the way of the main trail, and #2 has sufficient sunlight coverage (this may be tricky). We have pines up front, but a wetland buffer in the back (dry creek bed) filled with MASSIVE hardwoods. Soil up front or in between will be harder and slightly acidic from the pines (better location for discreteness), and the soil in the back is loamy and darker (most likely too close to the trails).

- I plan of germing and hardening indoors over the next week or two. My initial idea is that I would germ in rooters, surrounded by dirt in a Solo cup then transplant into the ground once I have a handful of nodes established. Second thought is why don't I just grow outdoors in containers or planters half buried or above the ground? Still trying to figure out what to do here..

- Should I plan on watering or let mother nature do it's thing? I read the 5 gallon bucket, slow water trick in the Sticky, which got me to thinking about this..

- We have about every critter that you would find in this region back in our woods.. Deer, bear, coyote, turkey, squirrels, possum, racoons, snakes, spideys, etc. I did not plan on any netting or anything, would this be a bad idea? Also, in regard to insects, anybody tried using cedar for repellant? Any other solutions that I should consider?

- How far should I expect the smell to travel? Should this be a heavy consideration in my plans?

- With discreteness being my #1 objective, will it be worth the effort (or there lack of) if my spot doesn't get full sun all day long? I am not going for yield with these things, only looking for survival and the bearing of moderate amounts of flower. I am going to be aiming for best of both, but discreteness will outweigh optimal sun..

I plan on designating a spot today and getting seeds soaking as well. Hoping that I can bring the site together before the youngins go out there in a week or two. I like to fully plan stuff before diving in, but this was a "oh, the hell with it" spur of the moment idea. Time is right and if I plan on doing, no time like the present!

Comments, questions, concerns? I am open, so please do tell if you have a second!

-Domo

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DomoArigato For This Useful Post:

barney_b (18-05-22), GEORGE (18-05-22), Mac (18-05-22), M_C (18-05-22), r33ee (08-07-22), ToughCall (19-05-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,882 Times

All very exciting, I like the idea of a legal guerilla grow
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

barney_b (18-05-22), DomoArigato (18-05-22), r33ee (08-07-22), ToughCall (19-05-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 51,484 Times

Domo,

I was on /r/rva_homegrown last night and there was a thread about IPM as folks are starting to move outdoors. Have you reached out to your neighbors?

B

"The footsteps of the farmer is the best fertilizer."

Welcome to The Barnyard

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to barney_b For This Useful Post:

DomoArigato (18-05-22), r33ee (08-07-22), ToughCall (19-05-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,471 Times

Sounds like A fun thing to do. But you right. sounds like A bad idea. You will need A wire cage of some kind to keep the Crites from eating them up in the beginning at least. Good luck and happy growing. There are some old post from some of our outdoor growers, you should read some of them.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

DomoArigato (18-05-22), M_C (18-05-22), r33ee (08-07-22), ToughCall (19-05-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,471 Times

Quote Originally Posted by DomoArigato View Post
    Hi all,

So I currently have two plants growing in an indoor grow which is doing well, and not like I need to add anything else to my plate, but I had an idea..

Spring is in the air here, I am legally allowed 4 plants, I have acres of wooded property behind my home that is rarely travelled, and I have enough auto seeds on hand to hold me over for years of growing (not gonna lie, I just want to dip into the strains that I haven't grown yet and don't mind if I so happen to fail).

I don't want to go back there on the daily checking on them (I probably will anyways), but wanted to treat this like a guerilla grow (breaking the law simulator). I read a bit on the outdoor grow section Sticky's, but wanted to run my gameplan by some of you folks that are more experienced and that would be kind enough to give me a couple of pointers or correct my plan before underway..

So here's my plan so far..

I bought a couple small bags of standard Miracle grow potting mix. In doing a bit of reading in the stickys, I feel like I should work my holes bigger than initially planned, so thinking that I will get a couple of bigger bags of better dirt on the way home today.

I was reading a user in another forum recommend the use of cedar pellets "cedarcide" around the plants to fend off bugs, etc. Couldn't find any locally, but got a big bag of cedar shavings that I will lay around the site to hopefully have simikar effect.

Thats my plan so far. Thoughts?

No, but seriously I have not gotten too far past this so far. Thoughts are still very fluid and blind brainstorming is in motion!

These are the thoughts that I am currently trying to iron out:

- We have a series of ATV trails that connect numerous properties, but don't get travelled much. If they actually are ridden on, then most of the time it's by somebody who is "cool" and wouldn't be shocked by the sight/smell of it. Otherwise, it's legal and I don't think that any others woukd bother them if they so happened to come upon them. Otherwise, there may be the occasional group of neighbors kids (or my own) that may go back there, but doubtful as things get hotter and woods more filled with creepy crawleys.. This be known, I am going back there today with the intent of finding a spot that is #1 out of the way of the main trail, and #2 has sufficient sunlight coverage (this may be tricky). We have pines up front, but a wetland buffer in the back (dry creek bed) filled with MASSIVE hardwoods. Soil up front or in between will be harder and slightly acidic from the pines (better location for discreteness), and the soil in the back is loamy and darker (most likely too close to the trails).

- I plan of germing and hardening indoors over the next week or two. My initial idea is that I would germ in rooters, surrounded by dirt in a Solo cup then transplant into the ground once I have a handful of nodes established. Second thought is why don't I just grow outdoors in containers or planters half buried or above the ground? Still trying to figure out what to do here..

- Should I plan on watering or let mother nature do it's thing? I read the 5 gallon bucket, slow water trick in the Sticky, which got me to thinking about this..

- We have about every critter that you would find in this region back in our woods.. Deer, bear, coyote, turkey, squirrels, possum, racoons, snakes, spideys, etc. I did not plan on any netting or anything, would this be a bad idea? Also, in regard to insects, anybody tried using cedar for repellant? Any other solutions that I should consider?

- How far should I expect the smell to travel? Should this be a heavy consideration in my plans?

- With discreteness being my #1 objective, will it be worth the effort (or there lack of) if my spot doesn't get full sun all day long? I am not going for yield with these things, only looking for survival and the bearing of moderate amounts of flower. I am going to be aiming for best of both, but discreteness will outweigh optimal sun..

I plan on designating a spot today and getting seeds soaking as well. Hoping that I can bring the site together before the youngins go out there in a week or two. I like to fully plan stuff before diving in, but this was a "oh, the hell with it" spur of the moment idea. Time is right and if I plan on doing, no time like the present!

Comments, questions, concerns? I am open, so please do tell if you have a second!

-Domo
    Here you go Buddy. Everything you need to know about outdoor grow in the thread. Read this and you should do fine. https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...&highlight=KYG

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

barney_b (18-05-22), M_C (18-05-22), ToughCall (19-05-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by barney_b View Post
    Domo,

I was on /r/rva_homegrown last night and there was a thread about IPM as folks are starting to move outdoors. Have you reached out to your neighbors?

B
    Never heard of IPM barney, but I have now! Will read up on it, thanks! I probably should ask my gardening neighbor what they do for theid veggie/fruit garden. I know that they are strictly organic, so might be a good place to start. I was eyeballing that Sven insecticide stuff at the HW store, but my gut was saying no, so figured I'd pause and regroup.

Also, thanks George. I can cobble up some chicken wire to fashion a cage out of. I did "some" reading so far, and am continuing to do a bit more through old threads, but a lot of varying information. Honestly, being such a hair brained idea, I didn't follow the 7 P's prior (my lack of effort), so I'll see if I can take a few decent bits/pieces away for now and roll the dice to see where they land. Near term end goal and analysis paralysis got me overwhelmed. If I find a decent spot that has both good privacy and light, I'll try again next spring from a much better prepared position.

-Domo

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DomoArigato For This Useful Post:

barney_b (18-05-22), GEORGE (18-05-22), ToughCall (19-05-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    All very exciting, I like the idea of a legal guerilla grow
    Ha, yeah I'll be pretending to be a guerilla grower kinda like those folks who do civil war or renaissance era reenactments for fun on the weekends.. It'll be another few years before I can put 20gal pots out in the yard, so this "might" allow me to get my toes wet in the mean time..

-Domo

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DomoArigato For This Useful Post:

barney_b (18-05-22), GEORGE (18-05-22), M_C (18-05-22), ToughCall (19-05-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GEORGE View Post
    Here you go Buddy. Everything you need to know about outdoor grow in the thread. Read this and you should do fine. https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...&highlight=KYG
    Ahh, roger that George, thanks! Will dig in now!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DomoArigato For This Useful Post:

barney_b (18-05-22), GEORGE (18-05-22), ToughCall (19-05-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 51,484 Times

I'm very curious to see how the wooded area produces. I'd love to grow outside but only my front yard gets decent sun... The HOA has rules ya know!

B

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barney_b For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-05-22), ToughCall (19-05-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by barney_b View Post
    I'm very curious to see how the wooded area produces. I'd love to grow outside but only my front yard gets decent sun... The HOA has rules ya know!

B
    You and me both! I'm very keen on the suns path back there, so if there is any tree branches in the way of it's path that I can limb up, I'm all over it! Fingers crossed that there is somewhere that I can make work.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DomoArigato For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-05-22), ToughCall (19-05-22)