Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: LED Light height in grow tent

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 33,477 Times

What kind of style you light has alot to say about the hang hight. Quantum board style leds usually have a higher hang hight then a bar style light. Ofc if you overkill it and dim your lights down like you do its just try and error to you fine the optimum hight.

Like I have it. SE5000 In a 3x3 is a total overkill and SF want you to hang it 22-30cm in flower. I have it at 32-37cm and at 75-80% and thr light spread it killing it! Its aimed for ish 1000par in the center. And with this light the sides are ish 850par. Thats only a 15-20% dropoff to the sides witch is awsome!

V8
    Last edited by V8; 22-05-22 at 05:23 PM.
    Mini veg tent grow: V8`s mini garden

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to V8 For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (22-05-22), GEORGE (22-05-22), mpsj (22-05-22), Tommy stoner (23-05-22), ToughCall (23-05-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,467 Times

Hello, hello!

I am sitting by the tent door, staring at these lovely ladies and waiting for them to finish.
    So I thought I'd test out the Photone app. I have an android phone, so the App appears free. Maybe the paid version gas more features. Anywho, I did a center of LED reading. I used this coated wire to suspend the phone directly under both lights (each test was separate).
    SF2000 at 16" gave a DLI reading of 39.2. The SF4000 had a reading of 49.6 at 18" from the tops. Those were the closest, my canopy is not even and has a 6" to 8" variance. Another reason for canopy Mgmt!
    Valuable lesson? In flower, DLI should be between 38 & 65. I made some adjustments, I'm 2 weeks away, so not expecting too much, but will watch closely for curling leaves, or worse...

Thanks,

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToughCall For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (23-05-22), GEORGE (23-05-22), Tommy stoner (23-05-22)

Thanks

Should have added"YES" after valuable lesson. As the app helped me understand the current LED height was not effective for flowering for that height.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ToughCall For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (23-05-22), GEORGE (23-05-22), mpsj (23-05-22), Tommy stoner (28-11-22), V8 (23-05-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,247 Times

I have never used the SF4000(good quality led from reviews) but I would hang it 2ft above the canopy(100%), 400w over a 4ft x 4ft should be fine, sometime you can overthink things.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CheapHomeGrown For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (23-05-22), GEORGE (23-05-22), Tommy stoner (28-11-22), ToughCall (23-05-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CheapHomeGrown View Post
    I have never used the SF4000(good quality led from reviews) but I would hang it 2ft above the canopy (100%), 400w over a 4ft x 4ft should be fine, sometime you can overthink things.
    Of course, we all overthink things, it's human nature. Dialing in the tent environment is what we strive for, hence sometimes overthinking. I enjoy the learning, and sometimes the Bro-Science gets the best of me to try things out. Controlled environments are not what we conduct our experimentation under, as we often leave out pertinent data in our findings. None of which is malicious, only trying to execute under basic parameters.

It's all in the name of growing as good as you can with what you have and reporting the findings.

Peace.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ToughCall For This Useful Post:

CheapHomeGrown (23-05-22), Farmer Geddon (23-05-22), GEORGE (23-05-22), Tommy stoner (28-11-22), V8 (25-05-22)

Thanks

Ugh, someone should have told me not to mess with plants in flower... I have white pistols after having adjusted my lights lower...

Apparently I must be one of those helicopter parents... So here's me reporting my findings on light height... Don't mess with your plants two weeks before harvest! Just water it and leave it be.

Cheers!

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ToughCall For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (25-05-22), GEORGE (25-05-22), MadJohn (26-05-22), Tommy stoner (28-11-22), V8 (25-05-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCall View Post
    Hey there,

question is on lighting, LED height from top of plants..

What height do you keep your LEDs while in Veg, and when they are in flower?
    Are they the same distance, and adjusted as the plant grows? Ex. Led is 22" from canopy top. No matter the stage.

Thanks!
    Get a par meter bro.

In veg 800 ppfd

In flower 1000 to 1300 ppfd strain enviro and c02 dependant

Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eighttwo For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (11-06-22), GEORGE (11-06-22), Tommy stoner (28-11-22), V8 (11-06-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,247 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Eighttwo View Post
    Get a par meter bro.

In veg 800 ppfd

In flower 1000 to 1300 ppfd strain enviro and c02 dependant

Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success.
    I would alway say less is more, even light spread at a lower par level (600 - 900) would give you the best results imo
    Extra c02 can help but most of its wasted anless your growing in a sealed room, because fans replace all the air every 2-3 minutes.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CheapHomeGrown For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (12-06-22), GEORGE (12-06-22), Tommy stoner (28-11-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MadJohn View Post
    I've done some reading - others with more grow experience may disagree.

There's a number of factors that drive how you have your lights.

1. Light PAR capability
    2. Length of time the light is on
    3. The size of the space you're lighting
    4. Your light spread
    5. The distance the light is from the camopy
    6. The plants

So it's all a balance between all of those.

Moving the Light
    As you raise your light, the inverse square law kicks in and your PAR decreases so you need the light stonger or the light on for longer so your plants get enough light. If you can't provide enough light this causes stretching and can cause "airy" bugs during flower.
    If you lower the light your PAR goes up provided you keep the light output the same. This can lead to too much light and you get light burn (very very easy with LED's)

Changing the PAR of the light
    Exactly the same as moving the light, the higher the PAR, the further away you can have the light but high PAR runs the risk of light burn. Lower the PAR the closer you can have it without risking burn

Spread of Light
    So every light and every manufacture publish PAR charts that map out the PAR ratings in the typical use case of the light in question. So if the light is sold as a 2*2 light, you'll generally get a chart that shows PAR testing in a 2*2 space. With a perfect light, you'd get an absolutely perfectly uniform PAR measurement for the entire area. This means all parts of the plant are getting exactly the same PAR. Very few lights provide this and generally, the cheaper the light, the more inconsistent the light uniformity is. Shane over at Mygro has a fantastic set of light comparisons where he's measured the PAR and shows how good/bad certain lights PAR uniformity is. That said, even though lights like the Mars TS1000 don't have a very uniform canopy, they are cheap and still grow some fantastic bud for many 1000's of people.

The spread is also affected by the height of the light. Most lights have a 50 or 60 degree wide beam so ids the same is large and the light is low, it's not going to get out very far.

Which leads to...

Size of Space
    The smaller the light, the tighter the spread and the less light you'll get at the edge. You can run a 150W light in a 4*4 and right in the middle 1*1m you'll get great light, but at the tent walls you'll get very little light at all. So your light needs to have enough PAR and enough spread to ensure it reaches out to the edges of your space. The more uniformly, the better.

Lastly

The plants
    Every plant has a different capacity to deal with light and it also depends not only on the strain, but also the stage it's at in the grow.

DLI
    The preferred way to measure lighting these days is DLI - Daily Light Integral. This is a number that is derived from the reading of the PAR at the canopy to and the length of time you have the light on. The "ideal" DLI changes through the grow (roughly 10-15 seedling, 25-40 veg, 35-45 flower) but it's VERY dependant on the plant as to how much light they can take. This should always be your preferred way of measuring your lights for your grow because it factors in how long you have light on for.

Bringin it all together

Everything is a balance. All that's really important is that your plants have enough light for the stage of grow they're at. I've not read anything about whether it matters whether you change the height or the intensity (dimming) accepting that your lights are appropriately sized for the space you have. I prefer to have the lights closer and the intensity lower as that saves me money. Depending on all the other factors YMMV though.

MJ
    Good thoughtful post. 100%

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NY_upstater For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-11-22), Tommy stoner (28-11-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Geddon View Post
    I'm hoping to find a 'That'll do' mid range setting that lets me do grow after grow without having to adjust anything.
    Brilliant haha

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mart the Elder For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (13-01-23), GEORGE (06-01-23), IceCalibur (06-01-23)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast