Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is it normal to not get any drier for days?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,926 Times

Question Is it normal to not get any drier for days?

Hi,

Harvested a couple of weeks ago and the buds were trimmed and placed in a drying tent. I have no fan in the tent but I do have an extractor sucking air out of the tent creating the airflow, temps are between 23-26C and humidity is between 52 and 60.

For the Grove bags, the buds need to be at about 10-12% using a wood moisture meter. I've been testing almost every day for the last week and it's hardly budged from 15%. Doesn't matter which bud I check (the big ones or the little popcorn ones) they're all 14-15% no matter where I test. I tried snapping one of the very smallest buds and that was still bendy so clearly not ready.

Is this a normal pattern? I would have expected it to slowly go down 18>17>16>15 etc over successive days but it's just not moved for almost a week. I'm impatient, obviously, but with no reference just wanted to check if this is typical and nothing to worry about.

Thanks in advance

MJ

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MadJohn For This Useful Post:

barney_b (06-06-22), CityDweller (06-06-22), Doink (07-06-22), DomoArigato (07-06-22), Farmer Geddon (05-06-22), GEORGE (05-06-22), Jingo (08-06-22), r33ee (12-07-22), V8 (05-06-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 51,467 Times

Are you testing buds or into the stems directly? I ask because I've a wood tester that I've been trying to learn intimately and would love to discuss it with ya though I may not be the source of any new information.

B

"The footsteps of the farmer is the best fertilizer."

Welcome to The Barnyard

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to barney_b For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (06-06-22), Doink (07-06-22), DomoArigato (07-06-22), Farmer Geddon (07-06-22), GEORGE (06-06-22), Jingo (08-06-22), MadJohn (06-06-22), r33ee (12-07-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by barney_b View Post
    Are you testing buds or into the stems directly? I ask because I've a wood tester that I've been trying to learn intimately and would love to discuss it with ya though I may not be the source of any new information.

B
    I've tried both. I have a Stihl wood tester so a decent enough make. As is the way with most of these things I'm guessing it's within 1% (that's a complete guess with no basis)

I've tried measuring both the stem and the bud. I've also tried the stem inside the bud area (but you saw my buds, they're big and dense so there's very little room to get a probe in there as the spikes are short). I've tried deep into the stem, shallow into the stem, on the surface, into the buds, high near the bud, low near the end of the stem.

I started measuring at the end of the first week and it was off the scale (it topes out at about 42% I think) then from about Wednesday onwards it was all 14-15% everywhere. Doesn't matter where or how I measure it (apart from on the surface) it settles at 14-15%. On the very surface I've had it as low at 8% but I don't pay any attention to those.

I can only guess it's accurate but it's taking a fairly long time considering my humidity and temperature.

The Grove bags are self regulating to 58-62% but to get that safely you need to dry to 10-12%. I could stip early and pop a few Boveda bags in the Grove's and they'll support balancing the humidity but as you've probably gathered by now, I'm a bit anally retentive in getting things right

Anything else you want to know?

MJ

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MadJohn For This Useful Post:

barney_b (07-06-22), CityDweller (06-06-22), Doink (07-06-22), DomoArigato (07-06-22), Farmer Geddon (07-06-22), GEORGE (07-06-22), Jingo (08-06-22), r33ee (12-07-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,169 Times

Any way to lower rh to 50% and keep it stable? 60% is the end goal so i would think that drying at 60% would take a long time. If drying takes too long there is a mold risk.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

barney_b (07-06-22), Doink (07-06-22), DomoArigato (07-06-22), Farmer Geddon (07-06-22), GEORGE (07-06-22), Jingo (08-06-22), MadJohn (07-06-22), r33ee (12-07-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CityDweller View Post
    Any way to lower rh to 50% and keep it stable? 60% is the end goal so i would think that drying at 60% would take a long time. If drying takes too long there is a mold risk.
    Not easily, no but it depends on the time of day. This morning for example it's about 52%. Around 60% is what most of the expert guides reccomend (it's also the RH Grove reccomend for drying in their guide) as thankfully it's unlikely to get mold below 60-65% (I've not seen mine over 60% ever).

It's a dilemma though, the slower the drying, the better the weed is (apparently) but I need the tent for my current grow so I cen get my new light up and running. I'm tempted, as I said, to just trim it and get some Boveda in the bags to add a bit of extra support which should be more than good enough. I'll leave it another few days and see towards the end of the week how it's looking. If it's not moved much from 14/15% by then I'll just bag it up and use Boveda to soak up the excess.

MJ

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MadJohn For This Useful Post:

barney_b (07-06-22), CityDweller (07-06-22), Doink (07-06-22), DomoArigato (07-06-22), GEORGE (07-06-22), Jingo (08-06-22), r33ee (12-07-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 20,238 Times

Drying and burping touchy feely is easy enough to master. I've never used Grove bags but this will work with Kilner/Mason jars.

Does the outside of the bud feel dry enough to make a joint/spliff with? If no, keep drying them.

If yes, they're ready to be burped. For consistency, it will help if you break down the larger colas. My day to day stash jar is 1.5" diameter and I trim the colas accordingly.

Have the jar between half and two thirds full, close the jar and leave for 24 hours.

The next day, gently invert the jar. The buds will mostly be sticking together. Empty the jar into a bowl or whatever and then put the buds back into the jar. (Separates the bud.) Leave the jar open for 24 hours.

The next day, close the jar and leave for 24 hours. And so on...

There will come a day when inverting the jar has them tumble like marbles, no sticky snot, and they will also feel dry enough to smoke. Leave the jar closed for 3 days. If they still feel dry enough to smoke, the burping is done.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

barney_b (07-06-22), CityDweller (07-06-22), Doink (07-06-22), DomoArigato (07-06-22), GEORGE (07-06-22), Jingo (08-06-22), MadJohn (07-06-22), r33ee (12-07-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,350 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Geddon View Post
    Drying and burping touchy feely is easy enough to master. I've never used Grove bags but this will work with Kilner/Mason jars.

Does the outside of the bud feel dry enough to make a joint/spliff with? If no, keep drying them.

If yes, they're ready to be burped. For consistency, it will help if you break down the larger colas. My day to day stash jar is 1.5" diameter and I trim the colas accordingly.

Have the jar between half and two thirds full, close the jar and leave for 24 hours.

The next day, gently invert the jar. The buds will mostly be sticking together. Empty the jar into a bowl or whatever and then put the buds back into the jar. (Separates the bud.) Leave the jar open for 24 hours.

There will come a day when inverting the jar has them tumble like marbles, no sticky snot, and they will also feel dry enough to smoke. Leave the jar closed for 3 days. If they still feel dry enough to smoke, the burping is done.
    You are a book of resources there Farmer! That was a nice lil short-n-curly breakdown. I took a screenshot of that and saved in one of my "special" folders.

-Domo

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DomoArigato For This Useful Post:

barney_b (07-06-22), CityDweller (07-06-22), Doink (07-06-22), Farmer Geddon (07-06-22), GEORGE (07-06-22), Jingo (08-06-22), MadJohn (07-06-22), r33ee (12-07-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 51,467 Times

Quote Originally Posted by MadJohn View Post
    (but you saw my buds, they're big and dense so there's very little room to get a probe in there as the spikes are short)

MJ
    What a subtle flex

I've noticed that the more stem I leave the slower the dry. In fact, It's been the saving grace to lengthen my dry time. Perhaps bucking the buds off would cut off their water supply. Those stems DO stay moist a long time.

And above you mentioned an idea I've used before. Could certainly trim a sample, mid-sized cola and then jar it up. Give it a few hours and see where the humidity lands. Done this in the past.

Figuring out drying/curing is a big one. I imagine part of the reason is because it's so varied from grow to grow. Especially considering we're home growers and don't usually have perfect control over the environment due to weather fluxuation.

Farmer Geddon has never lied to me, btw. I've a folder like Domo does with nuggets of wisdom from the site. The above seems a good one.

Cheers
    B

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to barney_b For This Useful Post:

Doink (07-06-22), DomoArigato (07-06-22), Farmer Geddon (07-06-22), GEORGE (07-06-22), Jingo (08-06-22), MadJohn (07-06-22), r33ee (12-07-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 12,991 Times

Not sure how you've managed to get to 2 weeks in 23/26c without it being too dry, so hats off to you

I'm using grove bags at the moment, I let the plants dry for just over a week until they were slightly crispy on the outside and the stems had a little snap.
    They were then trimmed and put into the grove bags, no moisture metres used. I just chucked a little hydrometer in there, got a bit high a couple of times so I just removed the bud for a while then put it back in until it stayed around 62%.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Doink For This Useful Post:

barney_b (07-06-22), DomoArigato (07-06-22), Farmer Geddon (07-06-22), GEORGE (07-06-22), Jingo (08-06-22), MadJohn (07-06-22), r33ee (12-07-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by barney_b View Post
    What a subtle flex

I've noticed that the more stem I leave the slower the dry. In fact, It's been the saving grace to lengthen my dry time. Perhaps bucking the buds off would cut off their water supply. Those stems DO stay moist a long time.

And above you mentioned an idea I've used before. Could certainly trim a sample, mid-sized cola and then jar it up. Give it a few hours and see where the humidity lands. Done this in the past.

Figuring out drying/curing is a big one. I imagine part of the reason is because it's so varied from grow to grow. Especially considering we're home growers and don't usually have perfect control over the environment due to weather fluxuation.

Farmer Geddon has never lied to me, btw. I've a folder like Domo does with nuggets of wisdom from the site. The above seems a good one.

Cheers
    B
    LMFAO it wasn't meant to be a flex. Well maybe a little subconcious one because I was pretty happy for a first grow

I've made no secret that I'm learning and will no doubt be forever and as I'm not a smoker I have no frame of reference so I'm always grateful for the discussion and the advice. As I mentioned in one of my other threads, I wouldn't know good weed if it smacked me in the face as my only memories are from doing hotknives 30 years ago with incredibly dodgy hash in the 80's. You can probably imagine how harsh THAT was But if I'm going to do it I might as well go HAM or go home.

You'll be pleased to know I've gone a bit mental with the Blue Dream grow, I'll post some photos over the next day or two but I've been heavily LST training each branch individually and have an almost perfect tabletop. Experimentation FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Geddon View Post

Thanks.

FWIW I wouldn't know as I've not made a spliff in 30 years

Have read a load about it but it all seemed like a labour intensive PITA to me which is why I went for the Grove bags as theres no need to burp with them. In fact there's no need to do anything other than seal the bag as long as you get it to 10-12% before you bag them up. Just pop them in the bag and then leave them for however long you want and it will keep the weed pristine for years they reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by DoinkBrah View Post
    Not sure how you've managed to get to 2 weeks in 23/26c without it being too dry, so hats off to you

I'm using grove bags at the moment, I let the plants dry for just over a week until they were slightly crispy on the outside and the stems had a little snap.
    They were then trimmed and put into the grove bags, no moisture metres used. I just chucked a little hydrometer in there, got a bit high a couple of times so I just removed the bud for a while then put it back in until it stayed around 62%.
    Neither do I hence this thread!

I've read load s of reviews for the bags and I've yet to see a bad review. I just need to figure out how to label them now.

MJ
    Last edited by MadJohn; 07-06-22 at 02:56 PM.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MadJohn For This Useful Post:

Doink (07-06-22), DomoArigato (07-06-22), Farmer Geddon (07-06-22), GEORGE (07-06-22), Jingo (08-06-22), r33ee (12-07-22), V8 (08-06-22)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast