Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is it normal to not get any drier for days?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,926 Times

Ok so I've measured the central stalks again today and they're all still 14/15% but when I (at least try) to measure the buds in isolation they're anything from 9-12%. How accurate that is I can't say. I also broke one of the buds off and the stalk connecting the bud was brittle and snapped which suggests to be the thickness/size of those central stalks is giving me a false reading.

So based on that and the fact they've already been drying 17 days I'm hugely tempted to buck them into the bags and see how it goes. I might drop a Boveda bag into the bigger bags and I'm sure they'll be fine.

hmmmmmmm

MJ

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MadJohn For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (07-06-22), Doink (07-06-22), DomoArigato (07-06-22), Farmer Geddon (07-06-22), GEORGE (07-06-22), Jingo (08-06-22), r33ee (12-07-22), V8 (08-06-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,350 Times

Quote Originally Posted by MadJohn View Post
    LMFAO it wasn't meant to be a flex. Well maybe a little subconcious one because I was pretty happy for a first grow

I've made no secret that I'm learning and will no doubt be forever and as I'm not a smoker I have no frame of reference so I'm always grateful for the discussion and the advice. As I mentioned in one of my other threads, I wouldn't know good weed if it smacked me in the face as my only memories are from doing hotknives 30 years ago with incredibly dodgy hash in the 80's. You can probably imagine how harsh THAT was But if I'm going to do it I might as well go HAM or go home.

You'll be pleased to know I've gone a bit mental with the Blue Dream grow, I'll post some photos over the next day or two but I've been heavily LST training each branch individually and have an almost perfect tabletop. Experimentation FTW

Thanks.

Have read a load about it but it all seemed like a labour intensive PITA to me which is why I went for the Grove bags as theres no need to burp with them. In fact there's no need to do anything other than seal the bag as long as you get it to 10-12% before you bag them up. Just pop them in the bag and then leave them for however long you want and it will keep the weed pristine for years they reckon.

Neither do I hence this thread!

I've read load s of reviews for the bags and I've yet to see a bad review. I just need to figure out how to label them now.

MJ

Yeh I've read a LOT
    I can't confirm this 100%, but be warned about imitation Grove Bags sold on Amazon. Grove bags were recommended to me by Doink, and when I dug into researching them I found that some of the "Grove Bags" sold on Amazon had bad reviews for defective zip-lock adhesion. Upon reading further into the reviews, it appears that the bags that are being sold on there are possibly knock-offs, maybe a bad batch being re-sold, hard to say. Tbh, it wouldn't surprise me, as I have bought a few Columbia fleece pullovers from Amazon and after a bit of time, I realized that they were NOT Columbia, but some cheap knock-off despite the tags.

I bought a bunch of them directly from Grove to avoid getting shim-shammed by some of those shady Amazonian re-sellers.. FWIW..

-Domo

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DomoArigato For This Useful Post:

barney_b (07-06-22), CityDweller (07-06-22), Doink (07-06-22), Farmer Geddon (07-06-22), GEORGE (07-06-22), Jingo (08-06-22), r33ee (12-07-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DomoArigato View Post
    I can't confirm this 100%, but be warned about imitation Grove Bags sold on Amazon. Grove bags were recommended to me by Doink, and when I dug into researching them I found that some of the "Grove Bags" sold on Amazon had bad reviews for defective zip-lock adhesion. Upon reading further into the reviews, it appears that the bags that are being sold on there are possibly knock-offs, maybe a bad batch being re-sold, hard to say. Tbh, it wouldn't surprise me, as I have bought a few Columbia fleece pullovers from Amazon and after a bit of time, I realized that they were NOT Columbia, but some cheap knock-off despite the tags.

I bought a bunch of them directly from Grove to avoid getting shim-shammed by some of those shady Amazonian re-sellers.. FWIW..

-Domo
    Thanks for the tip off. These were from a very reputable online merchant who I bought all my AC Infinity gear off so I trust that they're real. Amazon are now getting a VERY bad reputation for counterfeit goods. As I understand it all the good of the same type go into a single bucket with all the suppliers mixed up. So you might order off a reputable seller but the stock gets pulled from a single communal bin of that item. It only takes one of those sellers selling dodgy gear to get all the sellers of that same item a very bad reputation as while comapany A might have supplied amazon with the legitmate stock, Company B only provided counterfeit. But when you order from company A you might well get Company B (counterfeit) stock. I'm seeing those types of reviews all over now for just about every item.

Cheers

MJ

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MadJohn For This Useful Post:

barney_b (07-06-22), CityDweller (07-06-22), Doink (07-06-22), DomoArigato (07-06-22), Farmer Geddon (07-06-22), GEORGE (07-06-22), Jingo (08-06-22), r33ee (12-07-22), V8 (08-06-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 20,238 Times

FWIW I wouldn't know as I've not made a spliff in 30 years

Have read a load about it but it all seemed like a labour intensive PITA to me which is why I went for the Grove bags as theres no need to burp with them. In fact there's no need to do anything other than seal the bag as long as you get it to 10-12% before you bag them up.
    If you're never going to smoke the bud, you might as well water cure all of it. Only takes 7 days and is a good excuse to buy a decent dehydrator.

For air drying, it helps to know what it should end up like. To know how bud should be for joint making, get a cheap plastic grinder and use it on a still wet piece of bud the size of a pea. It will be sort of stringy and torn rather than ground. As the crop gets drier, try another pea sized bud. Dried oregano looks like ground bud. Enough for scammers to pass it off as bud. iow, when the ground bud looks like dried oregano, it's dry enough.

as long as you get it to 10-12% before you bag them up

As you are learning, ensuring that it's 10-12% isn't so simple. Deciding between the outer bud being 'Dry enough' or 'Not dry enough' is easier imo.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

Doink (08-06-22), DomoArigato (08-06-22), GEORGE (07-06-22), Jingo (08-06-22), MadJohn (08-06-22), r33ee (12-07-22), V8 (08-06-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Geddon View Post
    If you're never going to smoke the bud, you might as well water cure all of it. Only takes 7 days and is a good excuse to buy a decent dehydrator.

For air drying, it helps to know what it should end up like. To know how bud should be for joint making, get a cheap plastic grinder and use it on a still wet piece of bud the size of a pea. It will be sort of stringy and torn rather than ground. As the crop gets drier, try another pea sized bud. Dried oregano looks like ground bud. Enough for scammers to pass it off as bud. iow, when the ground bud looks like dried oregano, it's dry enough.

as long as you get it to 10-12% before you bag them up

As you are learning, ensuring that it's 10-12% isn't so simple. Deciding between the outer bud being 'Dry enough' or 'Not dry enough' is easier imo.
    Ahhhh no I never said I WASN'T going to smoke but as it's my first grow and I have no experience with bud (it was all hash when I grew up) I wouldn't know if it was dry enough to roll a spliff with.

Hmmm interesting. The online guides from Grove just tell you to stick a standard wood moisture meter into the stem which seemed simple enough (I mean it IS simple to do) but clearly my bud may not be playing ball.

I think I'll email them and ask the same question, they will have vastly more experience than me as it's their product.

Thanks again

MJ

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MadJohn For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (08-06-22), Doink (08-06-22), DomoArigato (08-06-22), Farmer Geddon (08-06-22), GEORGE (08-06-22), Jingo (08-06-22), r33ee (12-07-22), V8 (08-06-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 35,499 Times

Ahhhh no I never said I WASN'T going to smoke but as it's my first grow and I have no experience with bud (it was all hash when I grew up) I wouldn't know if it was dry enough to roll a spliff with.

Hmmm interesting. The online guides from Grove just tell you to stick a standard wood moisture meter into the stem which seemed simple enough (I mean it IS simple to do) but clearly my bud may not be playing ball.

I think I'll email them and ask the same question, they will have vastly more experience than me as it's their product.

Thanks again

MJ
    There are a couple of Talkers who have tried the wood moisture meters but I think they gave up on them.

IIRC they weren't getting very accurate readings. Pretty sure they gave up on them.

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Blue61 For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (08-06-22), Doink (08-06-22), DomoArigato (08-06-22), Farmer Geddon (08-06-22), GEORGE (08-06-22), Jingo (08-06-22), MadJohn (08-06-22), r33ee (12-07-22), V8 (08-06-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,730 Times

I've sent a lot of flowers off to labs for testing and they reject anything over 15% moisture. Mine usually test at around 12% and I always send them off so dry I would never want to smoke them. They are crispy and the stems break with a snap at 12%.

Unless the Grove bags can put moisture back into your flowers I would never dry them all the way down to 12%.

I would however carefully burp them and cure them down to 12% over time.

J

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (08-06-22), CityDweller (08-06-22), Doink (08-06-22), DomoArigato (08-06-22), Farmer Geddon (08-06-22), GEORGE (08-06-22), MadJohn (08-06-22), V8 (08-06-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jingo View Post
    I've sent a lot of flowers off to labs for testing and they reject anything over 15% moisture. Mine usually test at around 12% and I always send them off so dry I would never want to smoke them. They are crispy and the stems break with a snap at 12%.

Unless the Grove bags can put moisture back into your flowers I would never dry them all the way down to 12%.

I would however carefully burp them and cure them down to 12% over time.

J

Hmmmmm thats a VERY interesting post and it's what I was starting to worry about. Grove have written back asking some questions so I'll post the response once I get it.

FWIW the buds still seem a little "stciky" and are certainly not brittle yet but as I've said a few times I don't rightly know what I'm looking at

MJ

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MadJohn For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (08-06-22), Doink (09-06-22), DomoArigato (09-06-22), Farmer Geddon (09-06-22), GEORGE (09-06-22), r33ee (12-07-22)

Thanks

If you are drying at 60% aren't you basically curing then

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estoorio For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (02-07-22), Farmer Geddon (03-07-22), GEORGE (02-07-22), r33ee (12-07-22)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2