Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Transferring from organic grows to chemical.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,926 Times

Quote Originally Posted by CityDweller View Post
    Have you had hydro tomatoes? I dont like them. Tomatoes grown in organic soil and supplemented with mineral nutes taste amazing. I agree that there is nothing wrong with synthetic but still believe that a soil grow tastes better when smoked. Even if the organic soil is supplemented with synthics there is a noticeable difference in taste to a coco or hydro grow whereas there is no noticeable yield difference since i still get the yield benefits of synthetic.
    That said, i have had water only grows that were healthy to the end with excellent yields. A proper super soil can produce.
    Lets not conflate two different issues here. Hydro/coco to soil is not the same as synthetic to organic neutrients. If you fast/force grow anything it's likely to have some negative effect on the quality/taste (though I'd argue most wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a blind test).

I liken it to the audio world and audiophiles. There is absolutely zero evidence whatsoever that better speaker cables leads to better sound yet people will spend 1000's on fancy speaker cables that claim to make a difference. Then through the wonders of cognitive bias and placebo will hang on to "I know what I've heard" as evidence of their belief.

I'm not in anyway saying you're wrong (well I am in a round about way ) but I'm just wondering about the use of synthetic over organic neuts for cannabis.

Maybe it deserves its own thread.

MJ

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MadJohn For This Useful Post:

barney_b (21-06-22), CityDweller (21-06-22), Deku Nut (21-06-22), Farmer Geddon (21-06-22), GEORGE (21-06-22), M_C (21-06-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,926 Times

Quote Originally Posted by barney_b View Post
    Depends on who you consider a source for good information. I grow in soil and coco with organic inputs and synthetic inputs. In my groom, soil doesn't produce flower that smells or tastes stronger than coco and Canna. I, for one, find it illogical that a plant can discern what media its in. It needs raw inputs. If it's available out of the bottle or after the rhizo makes it available... the same stuff is available.

This guy, Bruce Bugbee, is a source to me. His resume and time in the industry, specifically for cannabis research, give him authority of information.

https://youtu.be/W-3ZZJyk5lc?t=919

You make your own decisions over time. Bro science isn't harmful if your plants aren't suffering for it. But it's bro science. Not science science that organics taste better.

You'd think that ONLY soil grown flowers would win all these prestigious cups and titles if that were the case.

Cheers
    B
    That is EXACTLY what I'm talking about Barney, it's all "trust me bro" with almost nothing to back it up. That's not to say it's not true, but without evidence it's all hearsay.

That video is absolutely excellent and I'm annoyed I didn't find it when I was looking (though I probably should have!) Having listened to it, it tended to completely align with my ignorant thoughts. Lots of "myths" debunked or, should I say, shown to not have any real proof behind them including things like flushing, darkness before harvest (which was particularly interesting as it might even reduce potency as darkness reduces terpine development) and synthetic vs organic fertilisers. Also bit of a revelation on UV Light too.

Yes I agree he does speaks with a lot of authority and it was exactly what I was looking for (definately no confirmation bias for me...)

Thank you very much for that

MJ

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MadJohn For This Useful Post:

barney_b (21-06-22), CityDweller (21-06-22), Deku Nut (21-06-22), Farmer Geddon (21-06-22), GEORGE (21-06-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,171 Times
    Provided Answers: 9

The thing that i have found to improve taste and smell the most is lowering temps once the trichomes develop. I usually keep the room at about 70f once i see some nice development and keep it there until its done drying. It might be slowing down the finish a week, i am really not sure. But it does appear to help with terpine preservation for a better overall flavor. Not offering this as scientific fact, just my opinion based on observation which I agree can be psychosomatic.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

Deku Nut (22-06-22), Farmer Geddon (22-06-22), GEORGE (22-06-22)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2