Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Newb Question on Potting Mixture

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 51,484 Times

Quote Originally Posted by CheapHomeGrown View Post
    Adding 25% perlite would be a good move as new growers often over water there plants, mixing in 25% perlite will make it nearly impossible to over water your plants.
    That's kind of what I was thinking too. It's just so easy to over water in soil.

FFOF is fine stuff. Some find it too hot for seedlings and make a pocket of seedling starter though.
    When I've transplanted autos, it was from a peat cup to the final pot. Peat cup only used to germinate really. Else, no real reason to move em.

By the way, your light has 135 watts. Really strange name for it to be called 1000w eh?

Cheers
    B

"The footsteps of the farmer is the best fertilizer."

Welcome to The Barnyard

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to barney_b For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-06-22), r33ee (08-07-22), V8 (22-06-22)

Thanks

Soooo, what would be the best way to germinate an auto flower? Paper towel, rapid rooter, or directly into the final pot? I really have no clue what the best method is.
    These are really good seeds too.
    I have all the supplies and now it is nitty gritty time. I need a process I can replicate easily.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greg9042 For This Useful Post:

CheapHomeGrown (22-06-22), GEORGE (22-06-22), r33ee (08-07-22), V8 (22-06-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 51,484 Times

I'm a paper towel hater! Once I let a seed attach to the paper towel fibers by letting it sit too long. It stunted that plant for the whole grow. Since then, into a cup of water for 24 hours then right into the final resting place.

Cheers

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to barney_b For This Useful Post:

CheapHomeGrown (22-06-22), GEORGE (22-06-22), r33ee (08-07-22), TightNugs (23-06-22), V8 (22-06-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,247 Times

Quote Originally Posted by barney_b View Post
    That's kind of what I was thinking too. It's just so easy to over water in soil.

FFOF is fine stuff. Some find it too hot for seedlings and make a pocket of seedling starter though.
    When I've transplanted autos, it was from a peat cup to the final pot. Peat cup only used to germinate really. Else, no real reason to move em.

By the way, your light has 135 watts. Really strange name for it to be called 1000w eh?

Cheers
    B

your right about over watering in soil, I think everybody does it, on the odd occasion(in a rush or too baked).
    I am growing carrots this year, I have added 30% sharp sand and the soil is really soft, so you could always swap perlite for sharp sand and get the same results.
    also adding 25% perlite/sand will cool the FFOF down 25%, often growers are complaining this compost is far too hot.

I really like rock wall cubes and basic seedling and cutting compost for cuttings/seedlings and plants less than 6" tall, I would keep the FFOF for late veg and the flower stage for the best results.

135w led saying it can equal a 1kw hps, could be a warning sign of a low budget led, guess its for a 2ft x 2ft canopy( 34w ft2)

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CheapHomeGrown For This Useful Post:

barney_b (23-06-22), GEORGE (22-06-22), r33ee (08-07-22), V8 (22-06-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 33,477 Times

In water for 24-48hours. Them straight into the soil. IMO

And if you are using autos its best to start in the final pot. So in your case a 3gal. Make sure that the soil is wet but not soaked. Grab some soil in your hand. Sqeeze it and if it falls apart into many pieces its to dry. If you are left with water on your hands to wet. If it breaks into 4-5--6-7-8 bigger pieces you are in the ball park.

Put your seed with or without using the paper metod in the soil. Spray one of those 1 time use 0.5l plastic glasses with water and put it over the seed to keep the humidity high. Dont mess around. Wait some days and you should see life. No need to water just yet since your soil is still wet. Spray the top layer with water 1 or 2 times a day to keep it moist. When you see green leaves for the first time its time to remove the 0.5 plasic dome.

Keep the soil warm but not to warm. If you are sitting it straigh on a concrete floor the rootzone might be 2 cold. Roomtemp is perfect

V8
    Mini veg tent grow: V8`s mini garden

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to V8 For This Useful Post:

barney_b (23-06-22), CheapHomeGrown (22-06-22), GEORGE (22-06-22), r33ee (08-07-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,247 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Greg9042 View Post
    Soooo, what would be the best way to germinate an auto flower? Paper towel, rapid rooter, or directly into the final pot? I really have no clue what the best method is.
    These are really good seeds too.
    I have all the supplies and now it is nitty gritty time. I need a process I can replicate easily.
    barney has some good advice but I think rock wall cubes are very easy to use, cheap and a much safer way, seeds in a hot soil can be risky IMO

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CheapHomeGrown For This Useful Post:

barney_b (23-06-22), GEORGE (22-06-22), r33ee (08-07-22), V8 (22-06-22)

Thanks

V8,

Why is putting an auto in its final pot, the way to go? or should I put the seed in water for 24 hours then in its final pot?

I need to try and find the best answer for germinating an auto flower seed in super soil and a high-grade potting soil.

What about putting the seed directly into a rapid rooter and then into the final pot?

I am getting confused again.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greg9042 For This Useful Post:

barney_b (23-06-22), CheapHomeGrown (23-06-22), GEORGE (22-06-22), r33ee (08-07-22), V8 (22-06-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greg9042 View Post
    V8,

Why is putting an auto in its final pot, the way to go? or should I put the seed in water for 24 hours then in its final pot?

I need to try and find the best answer for germinating an auto flower seed in super soil and a high-grade potting soil.

What about putting the seed directly into a rapid rooter and then into the final pot?

I am getting confused again.
    Its not a written rule but 18-48 is is usually how long people have them in water for. The longer you have it the bigger chance you will see a tap root. Many people put the seed directly when they have a crack in the shell. Usually around 24 hours.

Paper or no paper. Using paper might damage the tiny tiny tiny hairs thats on your little tap root. By openning and closing you risk damaging those hairs. This can end with a dead seed. This is why many people on here dont use it anymore because the risk is unessesarry.

If the seed is good. I would but it in a little class with water in a room tempered place with no vibrations. Like microwaves XD. After 18-24 hours I would check them and see if there us any Crack. If there is but it directly into soil and pray .

The most important part is. Do NOT mess around inside the soil after you planted it. Leave it and it will grow to a perfect little seedling

V8

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to V8 For This Useful Post:

barney_b (23-06-22), CheapHomeGrown (23-06-22), GEORGE (23-06-22), r33ee (08-07-22), TightNugs (23-06-22)

Thanks

I would go with fox farm ocean. Seen many youtubers use this with autos from the start. I'n a 3gal you would only need to give water for the first 3-4 weeks.

V8

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to V8 For This Useful Post:

barney_b (23-06-22), CheapHomeGrown (23-06-22), GEORGE (23-06-22), r33ee (08-07-22)

Thanks

Autos is on a timer. They flower when they are ready. Without the introduction of 12/12 light. So by reporting an auto you will stress her each time you do it and this will hurt your end yield hard. She will have less time to vegg and will he smaller and weaker. People who transplant many times like me. 2-3 times grow photos who have the time to recover since they flower by introduce 12/12 light schedule. Meaning you can veg for as long as you want before you deside when she flowers. An auto just flowers after X amount of weeks. So you rly want to get all the good veg time for can get. So no high stress training or transplant would be my suggestion.

Many people do transplant autos but they know what they are doing. They transplant once I think and thats it. As a first time grower I would not suggest that.

V8

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to V8 For This Useful Post:

barney_b (23-06-22), CheapHomeGrown (23-06-22), GEORGE (23-06-22), r33ee (08-07-22), TightNugs (23-06-22)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast