Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Can you clone an Autoflower?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,256 Times
    Provided Answers: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Techead View Post
    Well, initially the post was started by my curiosity as to how my friend managed to clone an Auto, like I said he is a Photo period grower, then it kind of rambled on a bit and the possibility of extending the Veg period of an Auto, some research I did seemed to suggest an inverted plant might achieve it, so I had to look at that, I'll be honest here, I have never cloned a plant in my life, I was familiar with Topsy Turvey growing of Tomato plants though, as I had tried it on one Tomato plant after my Rottweiler had decimated my Tomato plants in my garden, this was a long time ago though. I have never tried this with a cannabis plant though, as I didn't see the point, but extending the veg period, could make for bigger plants, Clones if that's what people want, or making the making of pollen by turning a plant or part of it male, this would give an Auto a bigger window to get right. I also knew planters were made, specifically for tomato plants, which some had not seen, or even believed existed, so I found a video of a Cannabis plant being grown in a Topsy Turvey tomato planter. Hat's of to the guy who did this, as it vindicated a lot of what I said, it is not an avenue I will explore, but now you have seen a plant grown like this, it really does make sense to me why he has done this experiment, he was just curious and from the amount of video's out there, he's not the only one who has tried this, it kind of works, it's not a very good method, I won't try it and I don't think many others will either. If we look on it as an instructional Video on how NOT to do it that way, it really makes a lot of sense to me.
    If you do a google search "Cannabis vertical grow by heath robinson " you will see some massive colas, the colas grow horizontal towards the light.
    Last edited by CheapHomeGrown; 26-06-22 at 07:38 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CheapHomeGrown For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (26-06-22), GEORGE (26-06-22), Techead (26-06-22)

Thanks

Just a moot point, referring to the video link I posted and that was the roots and the way they grew i.e. upwards, that kind of implies to me that the roots have a different 'Rule Book' to the rest of the plant, can anybody out there clarify that for me, because that doesn't make sense to me.
    So, we have an enigma, does half the plant react to gravity and half doesn't, it is not full understood why or even how plants 'Sense' Gravity, there are many theories that it is due to a type of cell called a Statolith and I think this seems the most likely way it happens, BUT, here we go again, Statoliths are found in Root Tips, so how the hell does that work?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Techead For This Useful Post:

CheapHomeGrown (26-06-22), Farmer Geddon (26-06-22), GEORGE (26-06-22)

Thanks

Just a moot point, referring to the video link I posted and that was the roots and the way they grew i.e. upwards, that kind of implies to me that the roots have a different 'Rule Book' to the rest of the plant, can anybody out there clarify that for me, because that doesn't make sense to me.
    So, we have an enigma, does half the plant react to gravity and half doesn't, it is not full understood why or even how plants 'Sense' Gravity, there are many theories that it is due to a type of cell called a Statolith and I think this seems the most likely way it happens, BUT, here we go again, Statoliths are found in Root Tips, so how the hell does that work?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Techead For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (26-06-22), GEORGE (26-06-22)

Thanks

Just a bit more info occurred to me, basically on why I think like I do. I worked for many years in Quality Assurance in F1 and Medical Components and high-end car parts, they had a lot of failures due to operators not following instructions, so I devised an 'Idiot' proof process, whereby failures would not happen, I spent a long time analysing data and devised a very elegant solution whereby failures wouldn't be possible, my Boss at that time was very impressed at my solution and implemented Training and the process immediately.
    The first time it was rolled out, a nameless operator, decided he knew better and produced a lot of parts that failed on test, he hadn't followed the procedure I had worked so hard on.
    There was a big meeting of directors the next day and I was summoned, to explain what had happened, my boss had the final word though, he said and I quote him word for word, he said, 'What has happened here is an 'Idiot' has not followed an 'Idiot' proof process, what we have achieved here is a 'Smarter' kind of 'Idiot', to this day, I think he was referring to me!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Techead For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 20,238 Times
    Provided Answers: 4

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    Lower the temp, lower the light & reduce lighting hours - basically, it stops growing
    Now you tell me.

My first auto grow was with 12/12 lighting. (Seemed a good idea at the time.) They took 17 weeks and could have done with a bit more time. With my last auto grow, I stunted the 4 Fytocell plants by being very clumsy when potting up. First time I'd ever potted up into dry Fytocell. They took about the same time as the 12/12 autos. I did have the same auto strain finish in 12 weeks once though.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-06-22), M_C (26-06-22)

Thanks

Well Farmer Geddon, I am sure tou know Auto's are not light dependant on flowering and some, albeit not all, can take a full 24 hours of light and still develop normally, well, normally for a plant that has had it's genetics buggered about with, even seeds from the same batch can have a lot of variance. I think most growers never stick to the same pattern of growing rigorously, we always change something, sometimes it works and most times, it dosen't. I had high hopes for the 6/2 light cycle as gulliable old me believed everything I had read, the grower said that by switching the lights three times a day on the 6/2 cycle the plants get the maximum light they can absorb, then get a two hour rest, before it kicks off again, well they all grew, but I'll be dammed if I saw a difference, I put seedlings under a 24/0 light cycle, they grow really compact in my setup, I always had a problem germinating seedlings as well, but read about the Flotation Method, that is used on other plants seeds, that really does work for me, even very stubborn seeds seem to germinate, but can take over a week, try that in other methods and you will 'Drown' the seeds. Every day we learn something new, however, most of it is useless.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Techead For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 20,238 Times
    Provided Answers: 4

I learned the hard way not to implement new found 'wisdom' on a current grow. As much as I enjoy reading up on theories and opinions, I change the grow little and rarely. Any changes are planned a few grows in advance and are done only when my stash is enough to cope with a failure of a grow.

As I'm self sufficient while being a minimalist, 'more yield' has little allure to me. Especially if it involves doing a bit more work. Funnily enough, not caring about 'more yield' has increased my yields.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

CheapHomeGrown (27-06-22), GEORGE (26-06-22), M_C (27-06-22), Techead (27-06-22)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3