Thread: Does light degrade Cannabis, UV certainly does, so why does it matter?

Thanks

Default Unanswered: Does light degrade Cannabis, UV certainly does, so why does it matter?

Over the years I have dried my precious Bud in the Grow tent, mostly with the lights on for other plants, sometimes i used to add two UV lights for a few hours, to encourage the plant to get more 'Sticky', I hoped it worked, possibly, well I hope it did as the extra lights cost a 'BOMB', and are quite 'Juicy'.
    I wondered if the UV could have a detrimental effect on THC, as it can kill the plant if there's too much, it can 'Fry' insects as well, personally, I look like a flipping Lobster if I have too much sunlight, the drying plants are above the lights, so I didn't bother about the Bud or check if it was ok, sometimes I use a heated Propagator, turning them over for a couple of days, the smoke is a bit harsh though as the Enzymes haven't had time to get rid of the Chlorophyll, but an easy way to decarboxylate as well, when I needed a decent smoke
    Well, the guys at Orange Photonic, have checked if UV does have an effect and I found their results somewhat surprising, over a period of forty hours they bombarded the Bud with simulated Sunlight and the THC Content of the Bud dropped by 20%, the price of the gear they used to check this is far beyond your average grower, practically, I don't think in my instance it would cause any degradation whatsoever, but an interesting experiment all the same, I don't use my UV lights anymore as one UV light is bust, and the other is probably at the end of its life anyway. But if there's a Grower out there who dries Bud in Sunlight, Beware!
    Last edited by Techead; 06-07-22 at 07:03 PM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Techead For This Useful Post:

barney_b (06-07-22), CityDweller (06-07-22), Farmer Geddon (07-07-22), GEORGE (06-07-22), IceCalibur (07-07-22), Jingo (07-07-22), M_C (06-07-22), r33ee (07-07-22), scorpion (07-07-22), V8 (06-07-22)

3. Default

Techead, the section you're currently posting all of these threads is the submissions section for grow/smoke reports.

I do appreciate many of the threads you have created and shared with us all, but could you create them in more appropriate sections of the forum please?

I wouldn't usually mind (and would just shift one or two for you), but I've actually moved over 15 of your threads from the 'grow/smoke reports submissions' section to more suitable sections lol.

I look forward to more of your threads and I'll shift these two new ones for you too

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (07-07-22), GEORGE (07-07-22), Jingo (07-07-22), r33ee (07-07-22), scorpion (07-07-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IceCalibur View Post
    Techead, the section you're currently posting all of these threads is submissions section for grow/smoke reports.

I do appreciate many of the threads you have created and shared with us all, but could you create them in more appropriate sections of the forum please?

I wouldn't usually mind (and would just shift one or two for you), but I've actually moved over 15 of your threads from the 'grow/smoke reports submissions' section to more suitable sections lol.

I look forward to more of your threads and I'll shift these two new ones for you too
    Point taken, thank you for doing this for me, I am quite old and stoned most of the time these days, but a valid comment, I still learn something every day, Thanks.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Techead For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (07-07-22), GEORGE (07-07-22), IceCalibur (07-07-22), Jingo (07-07-22), r33ee (07-07-22), scorpion (07-07-22)

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Techead View Post
    Point taken, thank you for doing this for me, I am quite old and stoned most of the time these days, but a valid comment, I still learn something every day, Thanks.
    You're welcome, and thank you for understanding

On a side note, I've been enjoying reading your threads/posts.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

barney_b (07-07-22), CheapHomeGrown (07-07-22), Farmer Geddon (07-07-22), GEORGE (07-07-22), Jingo (07-07-22), r33ee (07-07-22), Techead (07-07-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 20,238 Times
    Provided Answers: 4

There used to be talk about adding UV during the grow to increase potency. The logic being that plants grown outdoors at high altitudes were allegedly stronger. At the time, hid was the only lighting options wrt higher yields. There was a crazy suggestion of breaking the outer glass of an mh lamp but that would give too much UV. How to limit that?

Then led came along. Including led with UV diodes. No reports of super strong bud because of the UV and the talk of adding UV during the grow stopped.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

barney_b (07-07-22), CheapHomeGrown (07-07-22), GEORGE (07-07-22), Jingo (07-07-22), MadJohn (08-07-22), Techead (07-07-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,926 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Geddon View Post
    There used to be talk about adding UV during the grow to increase potency. The logic being that plants grown outdoors at high altitudes were allegedly stronger. At the time, hid was the only lighting options wrt higher yields. There was a crazy suggestion of breaking the outer glass of an mh lamp but that would give too much UV. How to limit that?

Then led came along. Including led with UV diodes. No reports of super strong bud because of the UV and the talk of adding UV during the grow stopped.
    That video that Barney posted a few weeks ago from that uni researcher corroborates that as he said there's absolutely no evidence that UV light has any positive effect on yield or that it's even needed to grow cannabis at all. As with many things it was likely a fad with no basis in fact like so much of the growing cannabis advice is. The fight against rhetoric, conventional wisdom and "trust me bro" information to get to what really makes a difference is real. Funnily enough you're one of people I respect the most for that as you really do pare it down to the absolute bare minimum you need to get a good grow.

MJ
    Previous Diaries - Auto Blue Dream Dankberry
    Grow Kit List

Lights - 2*MarsHydro TS1000, 1 MarsHydro FC3000 and 1*Migro Array 2 Pro
    Tent - ACInfinity Cloudlab 642, HomeBox 80*80*160
    Extraction - ACInfinity Cloudline S6 plus - Mountain Air Carbon Filter
    Neuts - Emerald Harvest
    Grow Medium - Coco (Canna Coco Pro+) - Plant!t DWC/Wilma

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MadJohn For This Useful Post:

barney_b (08-07-22), CheapHomeGrown (07-07-22), Farmer Geddon (08-07-22), GEORGE (07-07-22), Jingo (07-07-22), r33ee (08-07-22), Techead (08-07-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,144 Times
    Provided Answers: 2

Does light degrade THC, I think light degrades THC, my results seem to improve if my plants receive less light, 2 weeks before I chop. JMO

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CheapHomeGrown For This Useful Post:

barney_b (08-07-22), Farmer Geddon (08-07-22), Jingo (08-07-22), r33ee (08-07-22)