Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First outdoor/backyard grow

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,467 Times

Default First outdoor/backyard grow

Ayeo, and happy Friday!

I usually grow in my attic tent and due to excessive attic heat, I thought I would get a jump start and do a backyard grow in starter 1 gallon fabric pots. There is currently 14.5 hours of light per day, and that gives me till end of September 26th before light hours hit 12 hours. At that point, I will move them to the indoor tent to finish. Attic temps will be manageable as well, and overall I'll save some pennies on that dreaded electric bill...

The 1 gallon pots have Roots Organic soil with 30% additional perlite for aeration. I germinated in paper towels a little longer than the usual, and the tap roots were an inch long, so when I planted them in the soil, I hope I didn't hurt them. Is this a concern with planting long tap root seedlings?
    I pre-soaked the fabric pots and the added medium prior to placing the seedlings in the dirt. I added some additional water once the seedlings were under the dirt as well. It all looked pretty good.

Question 1
    Just wondering if planting seedlings with long tap roots can be a concern with failing to launch once in the soil.

Question 2
    We have a hot week coming Monday, high 80s F (28 C) to 93F (34C). Should I move them into the shade that week? Currently, it's 77F (25C).

Question 3
    This is a sativa dominant grow, 2 - Sour Tangie, 2- Super Lemon Haze, 2 - Mimosa EVO and 2 - Durban Poison. I have read Sativa is a light feeder. Any advice on feeding these girls? - frequency and EC levels would be greatly appreciated.
    I do not want to over feed or over water, so please share any advice. I am using Mega Crop by Greenleaf Nutrients, an all-in-one and do not have a lot of experience with it.

Question 4
    I have Neem Oil, should I spray the seedlings once they pop from the soil? Should I spray the soil now? Should I be concerned about bringing bugs in the garden - The tent will be empty until I bring these girls in the house, but thinking about bugs and proactive PM.

Question 5
    Will the girls go into shock when I bring them back under LED? I have a Spider Farmer 4000 which is a 400W LED. They will still be in Veg, I will not let them in the 12 hour or lower period while outside, they will be moved in prior to the 13 hour mark.

5 questions, would appreciate all feedback.

Thanks all!

ToughCall

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ToughCall For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (30-07-22), Deku Nut (29-07-22), Easy-T (29-07-22), Farmer Geddon (30-07-22), GEORGE (29-07-22), M_C (30-07-22), r33ee (30-07-22), Sun&Soil (30-07-22), V8 (29-07-22)

Thanks

Are you suggesting moving them back and forth between inside and out?

In that case, LED can definitely shock them, especially when young, leading to the inevitable cal/mag deficiency. Doable, but they will be stressed while adapting. Also definitely a good way to bring in bugs, neem or no.

Planting long tap roots is fine as long as they are intact

Those temps are high but many plants could handle that if mature enough, and with enough water and wind. Keep a close eye.
    Last edited by JuicyFreak; 29-07-22 at 09:06 PM.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JuicyFreak For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (30-07-22), Deku Nut (29-07-22), Farmer Geddon (30-07-22), GEORGE (29-07-22), r33ee (30-07-22), Shaun (29-07-22), Sun&Soil (30-07-22), ToughCall (30-07-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 35,418 Times

The one thing about the long tap root is they put out fine hair roots that can be pulled off when
    taking them off the paper towel. You are probably ok but if it should happen again just cut the
    paper towel around the tap root and plant it with it. The roots/hairs will grow right thru it.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Blue61 For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (30-07-22), Deku Nut (29-07-22), Farmer Geddon (30-07-22), GEORGE (29-07-22), r33ee (30-07-22), Shaun (29-07-22), Sun&Soil (30-07-22), ToughCall (30-07-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JuicyFreak View Post
    Are you suggesting moving them back and forth between inside and out?
    JuicyFreak, I'd start and maintain them outside through all of August till mid September.
    Daylight hours are 14.5 to 13.5 hours of "light" and daily Temps range from 85F (day) to 60 F (night) during this period.

I'll move them indoors in mid September.

If I attempt a grow indoors in my attic now, the Temps are just too hot up there,
    Starting outside gives me the option to jumpstart a new grow outside.

Hope that provides a better understanding. Thanks,

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToughCall For This Useful Post:

Deku Nut (30-07-22), GEORGE (30-07-22), r33ee (04-08-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue61 View Post
    The one thing about the long tap root is they put out fine hair roots that can be pulled off when
    taking them off the paper towel. You are probably ok but if it should happen again just cut the
    paper towel around the tap root and plant it with it. The roots/hairs will grow right thru it.
    Thanks Blue,
    This was my ftst time germinating in a paper towel where the seedlings were almost fully out of the shell husk. I definitely saw those root hairs.

I was careful not to man handle those tender sprouts.
    Unfortunately, One of the tap roots did break off at the lower part, but hoping it will still grow.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToughCall For This Useful Post:

Deku Nut (30-07-22), GEORGE (30-07-22), r33ee (04-08-22)

Thanks

Quick update, 6 of the 8 have broke ground. The other two have not. I will leave them be for now and hope they are growing underground to right themselves up in the next few days. No hurry, I suppose, its all free sunlight...

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ToughCall For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (31-07-22), Deku Nut (31-07-22), GEORGE (31-07-22), mpsj (31-07-22), r33ee (04-08-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,165 Times

You should be concerned about bringing bugs indoors. Outdoors, I find that I rarely have bug issues because there are other bugs that will eat the ones you don't want. When you bring them in from the outdoors, just one mite can become thousands in a matter of weeks.
    Also, most hybrids seem to start flowering in the 14 hours of daylight range, meaning August 7-14 I find my plants typically start flowering. that 12-12 thing just makes things easy.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Old Skool Dude For This Useful Post:

Deku Nut (03-08-22), GEORGE (04-08-22), r33ee (04-08-22), ToughCall (08-08-22)

Thanks

hello,

Thanks, Old School Dude, I am concerned with bringing in mites or other hitchhikers. I am planning to keep these ladies outside till early October. Each plant is currently 10 days above ground as of today. They each have two or three sets of leaves, so progressing along. They are sitting in fabric pots on the lawn, getting plenty of light, these past two days we have had rain, today is thunderstorms, with medium rain. I was going to bring them in, but I really don't have a place for them... So they will need to endure. I did spray neem oil with a drop of liquid soap on them yesterday at dusk. Not certain any other IPM that I can follow at this stage of growth. Please let me know if there are worthwhile options.

Have a great day!

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ToughCall For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (21-08-22), Deku Nut (08-08-22), GEORGE (08-08-22), r33ee (08-08-22)

Thanks

I meant early September - NOT October, that will be too cold to continue outdoors. September still has 13 + hours of light till the end of the month 9/27 is 12/12.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ToughCall For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (21-08-22), Deku Nut (08-08-22), GEORGE (08-08-22), r33ee (08-08-22)

Thanks

Good morning growers,

I wanted to provide an update to my current grow. I have noticed small holes in some of the leaves, flipping those leaves over (without using a jewelers loop, I can see some random spots, which might be insect fecal matter, but nothing standing out like eggs. I used pure neem oil from India with a dash of dawn soap to spray them all, starting about 10 days ago. Doing it at dusk, spaced 3 top 4 days apart. The rain has been pretty intense these past five days off and on, sometimes pretty heavy. I have all the pots on a raised platform with a chicken wire bottom, so these fabric pots can have better air flow vs. sitting on the lawn. Today is pretty cloudy with humidity = 87%, and I have concerns.

Concerns at 22 days above ground (all outside)
    1.) bringing in bugs to hatch once they are in the grow tent
    2.) root rot, but not certain if this is an issue as the plants all look fine, not droopy.
    3.) Amount of light hours to start. Today, there are 13 hours and 37 minutes of total daylight. Do I mimic the same hours once indoors for a few days, then gradually increase the light hours to 18?
    4.) Should I do a H2O2 foliage spray and also add a little to the soil of each pot to help oxygenate the roots & kill bug eggs in the soil since it has been so wet these past few days?

Lots of questions!

One point worth mentioning, I have never had 8-inch seedlings entering veg stage in my previous five grows. Can't tell if it's the sun, or the seeds, but I am guessing it's the sun. Just WOW!

Please reply on the questions where possible. I plan to bring these girls in on Tuesday this week as I want to remedy as much outside prior.

Thanks, TC

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToughCall For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (21-08-22), GEORGE (21-08-22)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast