Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: LED Upgrade - mental dilemma

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,144 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Blue61 View Post
    I'm sorry CHG but again I don't understand what you mean. You can run any color bulb you want in hps. When I used a 600w hps I
    would run a 6500k bulb in veg and a 2700k bulb in flower. I like to use my T5 for veg and I run 6500k in that also. I do have some
    3000k tubes if I should want to flower with it.

You are spot on about the leccy used with led being less and heat also. We can't control the kelvins with led but can pretty much
    use whatever bulb we want in hps. Can't comment on cmh has I have never used before.
    Hope this makes sense.

Cheers
    Just looked it up and your right about the 2700k bulbs, I used to run 2x 600w HPS and one 250w MH to get a good light spectrum, I guess over the years they have improved (light spectrum), (I though the light spectrum was one of the advantages of buying an LED)
    I vegged under T5 ho 6500k for years, I could be wrong but the lux output from a t5 HO makes difficult to flower even if you can buy a 3000k tube(not the led version).

The other problem with HPS is the bulbs don't last, you need to replace them every 2 crops, becomes very expensive.
    Last edited by CheapHomeGrown; 04-08-22 at 04:58 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CheapHomeGrown For This Useful Post:

barney_b (04-08-22), Blue61 (04-08-22), Deku Nut (05-08-22), GEORGE (04-08-22), r33ee (04-08-22), V8 (04-08-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 35,419 Times

Quote Originally Posted by CheapHomeGrown View Post
    Just looked it up and your right about the 2700k bulbs, I used to run 2x 600w HPS and one 250w MH to get a good light spectrum, I guess over the years they have improved (light spectrum), (I though the light spectrum was one of the advantages of buying an LED)
    I vegged under T5 ho 6500k for years, I could be wrong but the lux output from a t5 HO makes difficult to flower even if you can buy a 3000k tube(not the led version).

The other problem with HPS is the bulbs don't last, you need to replace them every 2 crops, becomes very expensive.
    The last time I flowered with a T5 was while I was trying to make up my mind between hps and led. Didn't want the heat of hps
    but the last time I checked led was junk. TBF that was in 2012. I pulled 7 oz. from 3 plants. Not a big harvest by any means but
    I had just moved to a new state and had been out for 3 - 4 months. So it was heaven to me. You can pull 2 - 3 zips with a T5.
    Buds are fairly airy though. If I can find any pics I'll post them.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Blue61 For This Useful Post:

barney_b (04-08-22), CheapHomeGrown (04-08-22), CityDweller (04-08-22), Deku Nut (05-08-22), GEORGE (04-08-22), r33ee (04-08-22), V8 (04-08-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,144 Times

The last time I flowered with a T5 was while I was trying to make up my mind between hps and led. Didn't want the heat of hps
    but the last time I checked led was junk. TBF that was in 2012. I pulled 7 oz. from 3 plants. Not a big harvest by any means but
    I had just moved to a new state and had been out for 3 - 4 months. So it was heaven to me. You can pull 2 - 3 zips with a T5.
    Buds are fairly airy though. If I can find any pics I'll post them.
    That would be great, always wanted to see a crop grown under T5's.
    Have you ever tried a vertical grow with HPS, it runs a lot cooler?

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CheapHomeGrown For This Useful Post:

barney_b (04-08-22), CityDweller (04-08-22), Deku Nut (05-08-22), GEORGE (04-08-22), r33ee (04-08-22), V8 (04-08-22)

Thanks

I'm sorry CHG but again I don't understand what you mean. You can run any color bulb you want in hps. When I used a 600w hps I
    would run a 6500k bulb in veg and a 2700k bulb in flower. I like to use my T5 for veg and I run 6500k in that also. I do have some
    3000k tubes if I should want to flower with it.

You are spot on about the leccy used with led being less and heat also. We can't control the kelvins with led but can pretty much
    use whatever bulb we want in hps. Can't comment on cmh has I have never used before.
    Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

Of course you can "change the Kelvins" in LEDs. When an LED board is made up it's made up of different colour spectrum LED "bulbs/diodes". To change the light spectrum of any board all you have to do is tailor the number of LED's of a certain spectrum colour and bias the board to whatever light spectrum you want. More blue - easy, more red - no probs. However, we cant just change board LED's like you can when switching between HPS bulbs to suit what you want. To change the spectrums of an LED board you'd have to rebuild the whole board and that's rather complex and messy. Where I live I have a guy that builds boards and they are damn good. He knows his stuff, not cheap but worth the extra.

JMO

Jack

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to doleritejack For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (15-08-22), Deku Nut (15-08-22), GEORGE (15-08-22), V8 (15-08-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,926 Times

Quote Originally Posted by doleritejack View Post
    Of course you can "change the Kelvins" in LEDs. When an LED board is made up it's made up of different colour spectrum LED "bulbs/diodes". To change the light spectrum of any board all you have to do is tailor the number of LED's of a certain spectrum colour and bias the board to whatever light spectrum you want. More blue - easy, more red - no probs. However, we cant just change board LED's like you can when switching between HPS bulbs to suit what you want. To change the spectrums of an LED board you'd have to rebuild the whole board and that's rather complex and messy. Where I live I have a guy that builds boards and they are damn good. He knows his stuff, not cheap but worth the extra.

JMO

Jack
    Wasn't or rather isn't one of the main benefits of using LED boards the fact that it covers the entire grow spectrum on a single board?

A single modern LED board can now provide the entire spectrum of beneficial light wavelengths in the right proportions on a single board. When you get to this point it's generally a waste of money to have tailored boards which only focus on more narrow parts of the spectrum because why bother? This is why you rarely see anything other than full spectrum LED lights being designed/produced and sold now because there's just no point in doing it any other way any more.

Unless your guy is cheaper, I see no benefit from using him personally. Your implication here, by saying "he knows his stuff", is that all of the commercial LED vendors out there don't know their stuff and that's something I'd disagree with. Most reputable LED manufacturers will "know their stuff" as well and, with whole departments of R&D, probably more so than your guy. Not that I'm saying he doesn't know his stuff but unless you're getting a price discount from using him or you're happy to pay more to support a local business I suggest it's a worse choice even if he does provide warranties and after sales on his stuff.

MJ
    Previous Diaries - Auto Blue Dream Dankberry
    Grow Kit List

Lights - 2*MarsHydro TS1000, 1 MarsHydro FC3000 and 1*Migro Array 2 Pro
    Tent - ACInfinity Cloudlab 642, HomeBox 80*80*160
    Extraction - ACInfinity Cloudline S6 plus - Mountain Air Carbon Filter
    Neuts - Emerald Harvest
    Grow Medium - Coco (Canna Coco Pro+) - Plant!t DWC/Wilma

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MadJohn For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (15-08-22), Deku Nut (15-08-22), GEORGE (15-08-22)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4