Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Never get many roots?

Thanks

Default Unanswered: Never get many roots?

What's up guys, Just finished my third run and my buddy also the same and every time I empty the coco from the pots all I am left with is a small root ball about the size of a tennis ball.

Many years ago when he grew in soil and with a different recipe (can't remember it now) and I would help out, we would empty the pots and there would be a ton of roots in the shape of a cube.

Can't work this one out and wondering if it will or is affecting our end results.

We hand feed them in coco these days (2 litres every morning) as opposed to Wilma feeding them in soil.

Recipe is as follows for the majority of the growing period:

Canna A and B
    Cal Mag
    CannaZym (removing this next run as been reading it kind of "kills off roots")
    Boost
    Rhizatonic
    Flower burst (toward the end)

Just baffled to be honest guys, I flood them, they take the feeed but produce no roots.

Room and environment all spot on

Cheers

Bobby

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bobby1980 For This Useful Post:

B1unt (16-09-22), barney_b (23-08-22), CheapHomeGrown (23-08-22), GEORGE (23-08-22), Itslittyofc (23-08-22), Jingo (23-08-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,144 Times
    Provided Answers: 2

Your plants grow roots too look for water and food, if the roots have abundance of these, they don't need to grow, so the root mass is small, I alway slightly underfeed/water my plants in veg so the roots grow thick and strong.

I watch the fan leaves on my plants daily and wait for the leaves to drop very slightly, I know the root mass is dry and I water the plants.

Each time you water, you need all the root mass to be soaked and for it to dry even.
    Last edited by CheapHomeGrown; 23-08-22 at 09:37 AM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CheapHomeGrown For This Useful Post:

B1unt (16-09-22), GEORGE (23-08-22), Itslittyofc (23-08-22), Jingo (23-08-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CheapHomeGrown View Post
    Your plants grow roots too look for water and food, if the roots have abundance of these, they don't need to grow, so the root mass is small, I alway slightly underfeed/water my plants in veg so the roots grow thick and strong.

I watch the fan leaves on my plants daily and wait for the leaves to drop very slightly, I know the root mass is dry and I water the plants.

Each time you water, you need all the root mass to be soaked and for it to dry even.
    So do you have many dry days out of the 7 mate?

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bobby1980 For This Useful Post:

B1unt (16-09-22), barney_b (23-08-22), GEORGE (23-08-22), Itslittyofc (23-08-22), Jingo (23-08-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,624 Times
    Provided Answers: 55

With Coco you need to water daily once the plant is mature enough to handle it. The entire pot should be soaked completely with some decent amount of runoff.

I think what's going on is your allowing your cocoa to dry out too much and the roots are dying back to a small area. Then you come along and water just enough to get things wet but not enough to have the roots grow all the way out.

J

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

B1unt (16-09-22), barney_b (23-08-22), Bobby1980 (23-08-22), CheapHomeGrown (23-08-22), Easy-T (23-08-22), GEORGE (23-08-22), Itslittyofc (23-08-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,144 Times
    Provided Answers: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1980 View Post
    So do you have many dry days out of the 7 mate?
    That depends on the size of the pot vs the size of the plant, a small plant in a large pot could go 2-3 before it needs a drink.
    Once the root mass has filled the pot and the plants a good size, you can water daily, but again, this depends on the temps and humidity, high humidity and low temps could keep the coco wet for 2-3 days.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CheapHomeGrown For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-08-22), Itslittyofc (23-08-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 51,467 Times
    Provided Answers: 5

Hmmm... you're already watering to waste daily.

Can I ask you what your starting EC is and where you normally get it up to?

Some folks keep a super low EC early on in coco in order to encourage the roots to search for food...

Cheers and hoping this gets figured out.

B

"The footsteps of the farmer is the best fertilizer."

Welcome to The Barnyard

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to barney_b For This Useful Post:

B1unt (16-09-22), GEORGE (23-08-22), Itslittyofc (23-08-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by barney_b View Post
    Hmmm... you're already watering to waste daily.

Can I ask you what your starting EC is and where you normally get it up to?

Some folks keep a super low EC early on in coco in order to encourage the roots to search for food...

Cheers and hoping this gets figured out.

B
    Hi mate EC is roughly 1.6 I think (would need to double check this after work)

I aim for the same EC throughout as I’m such a novice and trying my best to learn.

When you say water to waste, what exactly do you mean buddy?

I’d say after I give them the 2 litre drink by hand in the morning there is a little run off but come morning for the next 2 litres there is around 10% run off

Again I don’t know whether this is good or bad but keep getting told to soak the coco but I can only get in there between 11pm (asleep) and 11am so unsure how else I can keep flooding them

Any ideas appreciated

Cheers chaps

B

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bobby1980 For This Useful Post:

B1unt (16-09-22), barney_b (23-08-22), GEORGE (23-08-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 51,467 Times
    Provided Answers: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1980 View Post
    Hi mate EC is roughly 1.6 I think (would need to double check this after work)

I aim for the same EC throughout as I’m such a novice and trying my best to learn.

When you say water to waste, what exactly do you mean buddy?

I’d say after I give them the 2 litre drink by hand in the morning there is a little run off but come morning for the next 2 litres there is around 10% run off

Again I don’t know whether this is good or bad but keep getting told to soak the coco but I can only get in there between 11pm (asleep) and 11am so unsure how else I can keep flooding them

Any ideas appreciated

Cheers chaps

B
    Water to waste just meaning that you get some runoff every time you water. I typically aim for 20% which is high for some and low for others. In small containers I aim for more runoff.

Once a day is ample unless your pots are super small..

1.6 EC to seedlings may be your culprit. Some guys here start as low at .5EC in coco with Canna. Personally, I start at .8 and push it up over time. This is the only thing I've read so far that REALLY stands out to me.

Are you using Rhizo by the book?

Cheers
    B

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barney_b For This Useful Post:

B1unt (16-09-22), GEORGE (23-08-22)

Thanks

Sorry mate I should of mentioned I am currently week two of flower period

So a bit of run off is good then as an a indicator the coco is getting nice and wet?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobby1980 For This Useful Post:

B1unt (16-09-22), GEORGE (23-08-22)

Thanks
    Provided Answers: 3

What kind of coco are you using ? And agreed with b , only thing I can see is EC is high for seedlings. Some coco you need to flush before you use and roots struggle to grow unless you do .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    pollenmanandy
    peace out

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pollenmanandy For This Useful Post:

B1unt (16-09-22), barney_b (23-08-22), GEORGE (23-08-22)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast