Thread: Vape question

Thanks

Default Vape question

OK…. I got so many questions to ask here…. Great place!

Do the affects of various strains come through in vapes?

Also, like every newbie I guess….just look at thc content…. should be looking at more I think but what

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oldhead For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (01-09-22), Jingo (01-09-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,926 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post
    OK…. I got so many questions to ask here…. Great place!

Do the affects of various strains come through in vapes?

Also, like every newbie I guess….just look at thc content…. should be looking at more I think but what
    Cannabis is a very complex plant and THC is only one of the chemicals that makes up each plant and each strains unique properties. It's the phychoactive one, and the one that gives you the "high" but there's also a load of other chemicals called terpines that make each strain unique.

There's around 200 terpines, which are the chemicals that gives a plant its uniques taste and smell. Research is currently indicating that the terpines work in conjunction with the THC and the CBD to give each strain a particular effect.

When you burn cannabis using a flame, first of all it not only burns all the good stuff but also all the bad stuff too. Smoke in general is REALLY bad for the lungs hence the popularity of vaping as it doesn't just burn everything. The advantage of burning (and it's the only advantage imho) is that it burns EVERY terpine in your cannabis. This means you get the effects of every single terpine in your bud. The massive downside is that it also burns a lot of nasty stuff you don't want in your lungs (usually in the 250+ degree range)

Vapes are themselves simple in concept but complex in effect. They effectively carefully contol the heat so you're only vapourising the "good" terpines and THC/CBD and not the "bad" stuff that's, well, bad for you.

Terpines themselves combust at different temperatures, as do THC and CBD. Do a search and there's plenty of tables and charts showing the primary terpines and at what temperature they vapourise.

Top end vapes can set the temperature VERY precisely so you only vapourise the terpines you want. Generally you'd want to vape between 170-210. Lower end tends to be a more cerebral high, higher end is more couch lock.

The bottom line is that you will likely lose the complete effects of the entire terpine profile as some of the terpines only vapourise at 220+C. Few vapes allow you to go that high as over 200 (Benzine is around 205) is when you start to lose the benefits of vaping and you might just as well burn it with flame.

FWIW I don't believe it makes much difference and you don't lose anything. If you're a habitual toker, have been toking tobacco based splifs for years and are hugely experienced in the effects then you'd probably notice the difference. Coming at this with little memory of it as a fresh smoker I just vape, it gets me stoned, happy days

As for what to look for in a strain - I have no idea. The reality is everyone has their favorites but it's a very personal thing. There's old school traditional strains such as

• White Widow
    • Northern Lights
    • Cheese
    • Amnesia Haze
    • Durban Poison
    • Jack Herrer
    • Cindarella 99 and so on

which have endured for years and years and are still hugely popular. They tend to be on the lower side of THC content these days (10-15%) but some people still swear by them and they are still a great, reliable choice. In the last 10 years or so there's been an explosion of "boutique" breeders and a huge amount of work crossing those traditional strains, usually for potency as much as flavor, to create 1000's of strains. I'd suggest some of the most popular strains these days which seem to get universal praise include

• Girl Scout Cookies
    • Dos Si Dos (actually a GSC cross)
    • Blue Gelato 41
    • Blue Dream
    • Stardawg
    • Anything with a fruit name in it (Orange, Pineapple, Blueberry, Lemon, Tangerine) - There's 100's of these variations crossed with loads of different strains

But there are literally 1000's of strains around and the reality is they're all going to get you high.

Hope that helps

MJ
    Previous Diaries - Auto Blue Dream Dankberry
    Grow Kit List

Lights - 2*MarsHydro TS1000, 1 MarsHydro FC3000 and 1*Migro Array 2 Pro
    Tent - ACInfinity Cloudlab 642, HomeBox 80*80*160
    Extraction - ACInfinity Cloudline S6 plus - Mountain Air Carbon Filter
    Neuts - Emerald Harvest
    Grow Medium - Coco (Canna Coco Pro+) - Plant!t DWC/Wilma

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MadJohn For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (01-09-22), Jingo (01-09-22), Sun&Soil (01-09-22)