Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What does homegrown mean?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,953 Times

Default What does homegrown mean?

Homegrown was a myth as a kid in the early 80's. By the mid 80's it was a reality after meeting new friends. By the late 80's it was a choice. Black market commercial went from compressed seeds and stem laundry detergent smelling weed from Mexico to dence trichomeless Beasters from Canada. Not really a good option. Homegrown was the way to go if you had motivation, space, a no fear rebellious attitude towards rules, and seeds.

Seeds came from Central and South American sativas aka brickweed, shwag, ditchweed. When grown out proper for smoke and not sale, the weed was quite nice. As an outdoor grower it did poorly in my northern climate. My growing season was a month shy for a mature harvest.

Fortunately I spent alot of time in my youth hanging out in strange cities and towns dancing with the Grateful Dead. My brothers and sisters on the west coast that I met at these dance parties changed my Homegrown experience for ever. Indicas and HYBRIDS!!! These new to me plants finished almost always just in time.

So what does Homegrown mean? Is it as simple as it sounds? I would argue that if it's grown for profit, it is disqualified and should be considered commercial no matter how small the operation. Homegrowns definition should include a word or words such as love, passion, kind, or similar. If you are growing for a private head stash for yourself and friends and family and not for profit you are growing Homegrown. This allows us to be concerned more about quality then quantity. I try and live by the "hike your own hike" philosophy, but I got to ask "why are we trying to emulate commercial grows? Marketing is a huge influence and is thrown at us 24/7, Prohibition forced us into our closets, Nutrition in a bottle, Human Nature and a million other reasons. I would never want to see the end of indoor grows in all of their forms, but I would love to see more outdoor grows and a way to make indoor grows more sustainable and less wasteful. Even in my outdoor grow I am guilty of using plastic. I have 15.25m of plastic trellis and probably the same amount of plastic ribbon in use. My point is, I am not judging and understand I am equally part of the problem. If we start looking at the small things and start to see how they effect the big things maybe we can try and do a better job at being less wasteful. Someone needs to figure out a better way to get nutrition in a bottle to us. I need to find a better way to trellis my plants.

I want my homegrown to be as clean and natural as possible. Free of chemicles and as little plastic involved as possible, and love is a must. I love my plants almost as much as I love growing my plants.

It wasn't easy writing this without trying to sound judgy and that is not my intent. Plastic doesn't go away very fast and it's not fun watching it pile up year after year, decade after decade. Not to mention the plastic industry (Dupont) is half the reason Prohibition is a real thing.

I would love to hear what Homegrown means to you. Lets hear an experience, a reason you grow, a ramble, feel free to throw me a well intent insult my way or a debate.

Homegrown for Life

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Sun&Soil For This Useful Post:

barney_b (02-09-22), Bethmeg (02-09-22), Blue61 (02-09-22), CheapHomeGrown (03-09-22), CityDweller (02-09-22), Deku Nut (02-09-22), Doink (02-09-22), GEORGE (01-09-22), IceCalibur (01-09-22), Jingo (02-09-22), mpsj (02-09-22), M_C (02-09-22), scoot (02-09-22), Tommy stoner (02-09-22)

3. Default

I completely understand what you're saying AllAboutThatSunandSoil and my thoughts on 'homegrown' is similar to yours..if it's grown for personal use, and/or shared with family and friends, that is my definition of 'homegrown'...add a little love and passion into it, and it's one of the most rewarding hobbies to have.

I also see your point about how we grow, and for me personally it comes down to a few things..here in the UK we have a very limited time window to grow outdoors, on top of which, it falls under 'gorilla growing', and can carry it's own risks. The other factor for me is convienience, it's in my own personal space, I can tend to my plants, enjoy them and cherish them right here close to me..with 'gorilla grows' it's usually somewhere you need to travel to, I personally don't really have anywhere close that I could travel to for this type of growing, and I would also feel my crop would be more at risk, and I would have a lot less control of the environment.

I could grow more organically indoors in my tent, with 'living soils' and such, but again it comes down to convenience, I can control my environment and have a system that works for me that produces some quality homegrown that I'm happy with, and one that allows me to enjoy the whole process to it's fullest.

In an ideal world, I would be growing in my garden in the summer time, but for me this is not an option in the slighest due to the current UK laws.

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

Bethmeg (02-09-22), Blue61 (02-09-22), CheapHomeGrown (03-09-22), CityDweller (02-09-22), Deku Nut (02-09-22), Doink (02-09-22), GEORGE (01-09-22), Jingo (02-09-22), KushmanOG (02-09-22), mpsj (02-09-22), scoot (02-09-22), Sun&Soil (01-09-22), TightNugs (02-09-22), Tommy stoner (02-09-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IceCalibur View Post
    I completely understand what you're saying AllAboutThatSunandSoil and my thoughts on 'homegrown' is similar to yours..if it's grown for personal use, and/or shared with family and friends, that is my definition of 'homegrown'...add a little love and passion into it, and it's one of the most rewarding hobbies to have.

I also see your point about how we grow, and for me personally it comes down to a few things..here in the UK we have a very limited time window to grow outdoors, on top of which, it falls under 'gorilla growing', and can carry it's own risks. The other factor for me is convienience, it's in my own personal space, I can tend to my plants, enjoy them and cherish them right here close to me..with 'gorilla grows' it's usually somewhere you need to travel to, I personally don't really have anywhere close that I could travel to for this type of growing, and I would also feel my crop would be more at risk, and I would have a lot less control of the environment.

I could grow more organically indoors in my tent, with 'living soils' and such, but again it comes down to convenience, I can control my environment and have a system that works for me that produces some quality homegrown that I'm happy with, and one that allows me to enjoy the whole process to it's fullest.

In an ideal world, I would be growing in my garden in the summer time, but for me this is not an option in the slighest due to the current UK laws.
    Thank you Ice for sharing your experience. I get it man. I've watched one of your grows and know if you shared a smoke with me I would be lucky to sample some wonderful Homegrown. Obviously I love my outdoor flower, but I certainly know their is some equally well grown indoor. This place is full of prime examples. I've seen the love and passion, you included.

I am guilty of living life knowing the error of my ways. I know you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but maybe I can learn to limit some of them. Growing is a common topic here, but it is just a tiny piece in the overall puzzle. We probably can't make a difference in our lifetime, but if we put out the right energy and intent maybe the next generation gets a little closer?

When's the next grow? Looking forward to watching again.

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Sun&Soil For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (02-09-22), CheapHomeGrown (03-09-22), CityDweller (02-09-22), Deku Nut (02-09-22), Doink (02-09-22), GEORGE (02-09-22), IceCalibur (02-09-22), Jingo (02-09-22), mpsj (02-09-22), scoot (02-09-22), Tommy stoner (02-09-22)

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AllAboutThatSunandSoil View Post
    Thank you Ice for sharing your experience. I get it man. I've watched one of your grows and know if you shared a smoke with me I would be lucky to sample some wonderful Homegrown. Obviously I love my outdoor flower, but I certainly know their is some equally well grown indoor. This place is full of prime examples. I've seen the love and passion, you included.

I am guilty of living life knowing the error of my ways. I know you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but maybe I can learn to limit some of them. Growing is a common topic here, but it is just a tiny piece in the overall puzzle. We probably can't make a difference in our lifetime, but if we put out the right energy and intent maybe the next generation gets a little closer?

When's the next grow? Looking forward to watching again.
    You're welcome bud, and I know you're not attacking any growers choice of growing or harvest quality, and your post certainly doesn't come across that way either..on the contrary your grows and vision inspire me, and I know they inspire others too, if you can encourage others to grow the same way as you and they have that option, then more power to you

My next grow won't be coming for a long while unfortunately, so in the meantime I'll be filling this void with my houseplants. I'm fortunate enough to have full containers for quite some time.

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (02-09-22), CheapHomeGrown (03-09-22), CityDweller (02-09-22), Deku Nut (02-09-22), Doink (02-09-22), GEORGE (02-09-22), Jingo (02-09-22), KushmanOG (02-09-22), mpsj (02-09-22), scoot (02-09-22), Sun&Soil (02-09-22), Tommy stoner (02-09-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,755 Times

I don't know what to say. The two of you have covered it all. It's all about love and compassion and friends.
    Grow on my brothers.

10. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Tommy stoner For This Useful Post:

barney_b (02-09-22), Blue61 (02-09-22), CheapHomeGrown (03-09-22), CityDweller (02-09-22), Deku Nut (02-09-22), Doink (02-09-22), GEORGE (02-09-22), IceCalibur (02-09-22), KushmanOG (02-09-22), mpsj (02-09-22), scoot (02-09-22), Sun&Soil (02-09-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy stoner View Post
    I don't know what to say. The two of you have covered it all. It's all about love and compassion and friends.
    Grow on my brothers.
    Compassion and friends are great additions to the definition of Homegrown Tommy Stoner.

12. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Sun&Soil For This Useful Post:

barney_b (02-09-22), Blue61 (02-09-22), CheapHomeGrown (03-09-22), CityDweller (02-09-22), Deku Nut (02-09-22), Doink (02-09-22), GEORGE (02-09-22), IceCalibur (02-09-22), KushmanOG (02-09-22), mpsj (02-09-22), scoot (02-09-22), Tommy stoner (02-09-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 15,810 Times

Homegrown was a myth as a kid in the early 80's. By the mid 80's it was a reality after meeting new friends. By the late 80's it was a choice. Black market commercial went from compressed seeds and stem laundry detergent smelling weed from Mexico to dence trichomeless Beasters from Canada. Not really a good option. Homegrown was the way to go if you had motivation, space, a no fear rebellious attitude towards rules, and seeds.

Seeds came from Central and South American sativas aka brickweed, shwag, ditchweed. When grown out proper for smoke and not sale, the weed was quite nice. As an outdoor grower it did poorly in my northern climate. My growing season was a month shy for a mature harvest.

Fortunately I spent alot of time in my youth hanging out in strange cities and towns dancing with the Grateful Dead. My brothers and sisters on the west coast that I met at these dance parties changed my Homegrown experience for ever. Indicas and HYBRIDS!!! These new to me plants finished almost always just in time.

So what does Homegrown mean? Is it as simple as it sounds? I would argue that if it's grown for profit, it is disqualified and should be considered commercial no matter how small the operation. Homegrowns definition should include a word or words such as love, passion, kind, or similar. If you are growing for a private head stash for yourself and friends and family and not for profit you are growing Homegrown. This allows us to be concerned more about quality then quantity. I try and live by the "hike your own hike" philosophy, but I got to ask "why are we trying to emulate commercial grows? Marketing is a huge influence and is thrown at us 24/7, Prohibition forced us into our closets, Nutrition in a bottle, Human Nature and a million other reasons. I would never want to see the end of indoor grows in all of their forms, but I would love to see more outdoor grows and a way to make indoor grows more sustainable and less wasteful. Even in my outdoor grow I am guilty of using plastic. I have 15.25m of plastic trellis and probably the same amount of plastic ribbon in use. My point is, I am not judging and understand I am equally part of the problem. If we start looking at the small things and start to see how they effect the big things maybe we can try and do a better job at being less wasteful. Someone needs to figure out a better way to get nutrition in a bottle to us. I need to find a better way to trellis my plants.

I want my homegrown to be as clean and natural as possible. Free of chemicles and as little plastic involved as possible, and love is a must. I love my plants almost as much as I love growing my plants.

It wasn't easy writing this without trying to sound judgy and that is not my intent. Plastic doesn't go away very fast and it's not fun watching it pile up year after year, decade after decade. Not to mention the plastic industry (Dupont) is half the reason Prohibition is a real thing.

I would love to hear what Homegrown means to you. Lets hear an experience, a reason you grow, a ramble, feel free to throw me a well intent insult my way or a debate.

Homegrown for Life
    Definition of homegrown
    1 : grown or produced at home or in a particular local area homegrown vegetables homegrown films.
    2 : native to or characteristic of a particular area the festival will feature homegrown artists.
    3 : THCtalk.com

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mpsj For This Useful Post:

CheapHomeGrown (03-09-22), CityDweller (02-09-22), Deku Nut (04-09-22), Doink (02-09-22), GEORGE (02-09-22), IceCalibur (02-09-22), M_C (02-09-22), scoot (02-09-22), Tommy stoner (02-09-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mpsj View Post
    Definition of homegrown
    1 : grown or produced at home or in a particular local area homegrown vegetables homegrown films.
    2 : native to or characteristic of a particular area the festival will feature homegrown artists.
    3 : THCtalk.com
    3 : THCtalk.com/friends and family

Makes sense to me mpsj.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sun&Soil For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (02-09-22), CityDweller (02-09-22), Deku Nut (04-09-22), Doink (02-09-22), GEORGE (02-09-22), IceCalibur (02-09-22), mpsj (02-09-22), scoot (02-09-22), Tommy stoner (02-09-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,926 Times

Homegrown for Life
    An interesting take. Usual caveat of I'm not having a dig at anything or anyone, just adding a different perspective.

I disagree (a bit)

What you're talking about is quality vs quantity not commercial vs homegrown but you can make a profit based on either.

While I personally don't sell it, I think homegrown is more a concept than a black and white "is it sold" definition to me and I think whether it's sold or not is irrelevant. I agree with a lot of what you say, and it's similar to what I've said below but I think intent or focus matters more than just whether profit is involved. What I would class as homegrown is that it's cared for and tended to by a single grower whose sole focus is to produce the best quality bud. That shouldn't and doesn't preclude them making a profit from it or even that profit is their primary motive. People are just as able to focus on getting a profit from quality rather than just quantity.

Homegrown for me is a philosophy of choice and a homegrower will prioritise quality over quantity. They select what they believe to be the best strains from the best seedbanks. They don't skimp of the feeds, beneficials or the lighting. They tend to their handful of plants every single day, training, topping, nurturing the plant. They're not forcing the plant to grow as fast or as large as possible. They let the plant have that 2 extra weeks to get to "just" the right terpine profile. They carefully hand trim the buds to their absolute best. They slow cure the buds over weeks or even months to eek out the very best of the terpine profile. They are not driven by speed or quantity but for the love of growing what they consider to be the best weed and are happy to forego maximising profit to increase quality. Whether that bud is given away, kept by themselves or sold to others in small quantities doesn't make it not homegrown. Intent and focus is the essence of homegrown to me, not whether it's sold.

As for clean growing that's a philosophical decision.

I've covered this elsewhere but your next statement just isn't reflected in the reality of how plants work. There's currently no evidence that organically grown cannabis is any "better" or "cleaner" than synthetically grown. It's placebo, at best, but research is ongoing so it may turn out there is some benefit. Until then it's all "trust me bro". There is also no clear evidence that organically grown crops are better for the environment than traditionally grown ones. It's suspected to be no better for the environment and there's even some studies that show growing organically can actually be worse for the environment but that's a different chat for a different post

Broadly in many countries, at best consumer waste is an irrelevance accounting for less than 3% of the total waste generated by that country or at worst a minor proportion of the overall waste profile. In the UK, for example, household waste accounts for only about 12% of the total waste generated by the country as a whole. I can't seem to find any clear figures for the USA but it certainly generates a disproportionately large amount of household waste and is also one of the countries with the worst recycling rates. So while in the US and a handful of other countries domestic waste is a chronic issue, in other countries it is far less so.

But consumers are not where the problems are and consumers are not going to solve either the waste or the plastics problem. As consumers we've been indoctrinated that we're not only responsible for the problem but also responsible for the cure when it's nothing short of a total and utter lie on both counts.

Plastic recycling, specifically, is a complete and total con job. It was a scheme created by the oil and gas industry to con consumers into accepting plastic over materials which are FAR more recyclable such as glass or cardboard/paper. It never was, never is and never will be viable or possible to recycle plastic at scale. Most plastics can't even be recycled at all. It was all done to convince consumers to accept it so they could make countless billions while destroying the planet without repercussions. Convincing consumers that they're the cause (when we have ZERO control over what the goods we buy are packaged in) and that we're the solution (when most plastic just can't be recycled anyway) is THE con job. It allows the manufacturers/producers to continue to manufacture and create the plastics with impunity as they blame consumers for both ends of the problem when consumers are responsible for neither.

This could be stopped, overnight, by just banning it at a government level. To suggest you can't is part of the con but while they get bribed and make billions from it it's not going to stop. Personally I think to hell with the short term pain and consequences. Like cutting off your cancerous leg - you'll be in severe pain in the short term and have a long recovery where you'll have to learn to do things differently without it but at least the cancer isn't still killing you.

MJ
    Previous Diaries - Auto Blue Dream Dankberry
    Grow Kit List

Lights - 2*MarsHydro TS1000, 1 MarsHydro FC3000 and 1*Migro Array 2 Pro
    Tent - ACInfinity Cloudlab 642, HomeBox 80*80*160
    Extraction - ACInfinity Cloudline S6 plus - Mountain Air Carbon Filter
    Neuts - Emerald Harvest
    Grow Medium - Coco (Canna Coco Pro+) - Plant!t DWC/Wilma

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MadJohn For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (02-09-22), Deku Nut (04-09-22), Doink (02-09-22), GEORGE (02-09-22), IceCalibur (02-09-22), scoot (02-09-22), Sun&Soil (02-09-22), Tommy stoner (02-09-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MadJohn View Post
    An interesting take. Usual caveat of I'm not having a dig at anything or anyone, just adding a different perspective.

I disagree (a bit)

What you're talking about is quality vs quantity not commercial vs homegrown but you can make a profit based on either.

While I personally don't sell it, I think homegrown is more a concept than a black and white "is it sold" definition to me and I think whether it's sold or not is irrelevant. I agree with a lot of what you say, and it's similar to what I've said below but I think intent or focus matters more than just whether profit is involved. What I would class as homegrown is that it's cared for and tended to by a single grower whose sole focus is to produce the best quality bud. That shouldn't and doesn't preclude them making a profit from it or even that profit is their primary motive. People are just as able to focus on getting a profit from quality rather than just quantity.

Homegrown for me is a philosophy of choice and a homegrower will prioritise quality over quantity. They select what they believe to be the best strains from the best seedbanks. They don't skimp of the feeds, beneficials or the lighting. They tend to their handful of plants every single day, training, topping, nurturing the plant. They're not forcing the plant to grow as fast or as large as possible. They let the plant have that 2 extra weeks to get to "just" the right terpine profile. They carefully hand trim the buds to their absolute best. They slow cure the buds over weeks or even months to eek out the very best of the terpine profile. They are not driven by speed or quantity but for the love of growing what they consider to be the best weed and are happy to forego maximising profit to increase quality. Whether that bud is given away, kept by themselves or sold to others in small quantities doesn't make it not homegrown. Intent and focus is the essence of homegrown to me, not whether it's sold.

As for clean growing that's a philosophical decision.

I've covered this elsewhere but your next statement just isn't reflected in the reality of how plants work. There's currently no evidence that organically grown cannabis is any "better" or "cleaner" than synthetically grown. It's placebo, at best, but research is ongoing so it may turn out there is some benefit. Until then it's all "trust me bro". There is also no clear evidence that organically grown crops are better for the environment than traditionally grown ones. It's suspected to be no better for the environment and there's even some studies that show growing organically can actually be worse for the environment but that's a different chat for a different post

Broadly in many countries, at best consumer waste is an irrelevance accounting for less than 3% of the total waste generated by that country or at worst a minor proportion of the overall waste profile. In the UK, for example, household waste accounts for only about 12% of the total waste generated by the country as a whole. I can't seem to find any clear figures for the USA but it certainly generates a disproportionately large amount of household waste and is also one of the countries with the worst recycling rates. So while in the US and a handful of other countries domestic waste is a chronic issue, in other countries it is far less so.

But consumers are not where the problems are and consumers are not going to solve either the waste or the plastics problem. As consumers we've been indoctrinated that we're not only responsible for the problem but also responsible for the cure when it's nothing short of a total and utter lie on both counts.

Plastic recycling, specifically, is a complete and total con job. It was a scheme created by the oil and gas industry to con consumers into accepting plastic over materials which are FAR more recyclable such as glass or cardboard/paper. It never was, never is and never will be viable or possible to recycle plastic at scale. Most plastics can't even be recycled at all. It was all done to convince consumers to accept it so they could make countless billions while destroying the planet without repercussions. Convincing consumers that they're the cause (when we have ZERO control over what the goods we buy are packaged in) and that we're the solution (when most plastic just can't be recycled anyway) is THE con job. It allows the manufacturers/producers to continue to manufacture and create the plastics with impunity as they blame consumers for both ends of the problem when consumers are responsible for neither.

This could be stopped, overnight, by just banning it at a government level. To suggest you can't is part of the con but while they get bribed and make billions from it it's not going to stop. Personally I think to hell with the short term pain and consequences. Like cutting off your cancerous leg - you'll be in severe pain in the short term and have a long recovery where you'll have to learn to do things differently without it but at least the cancer isn't still killing you.

MJ
    I appreciate your response MJ. It's well thought out and as usual you have looked at the subject deeper then just the surface.

Homegrown is definitely much more then is it sold or not. To me it's a philosophy that I strive to live by not only when it comes to growing. The quality comes naturally in the process because of my desire to do what I do to the best of my ability. Placebo effect or not, the feeling of satisfaction of growing my own vs buying from someone who grew for the sake of profit can't be denied. It is all apart of the equation. Do my tomatoes really taste better then the mass grown store bought tomatoes? Maybe, maybe not, but it sure makes me feel good knowing it came from the work I put into it.

The way we throw around the word organic is another issue we should look at. That label gives us a false feeling of satisfaction. Is there a difference between catching a fish and putting it in the garden vs opening a bottle of liquid fish? I would argue yes, and add that the practice should be considered.

Homegrown can be defined simply or as complicated as I'm making it. It can be better then or not as good as the weed we buy from others. It can also be looked at as a lifestyle. A lifestyle that we as a society decided to set aside for convenience. I'm not trying to say it's a bad thing or a good thing, as it is both. I'm just trying to look at it as something we need to try and get under control. Use the convenience a little more responsibly and try to go Homegrown as much as possible. There is an infinite number of problems and I am a problem solver. Being just one man with limited time on this beautiful planet, I'm trying to figure out how to make changes that will ensure our future generations are able to experience
    a nice stoned walk at sunset with out having to kick my trash off the trail.

Thanks MJ for the thought provoking post!

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sun&Soil For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (02-09-22), CityDweller (02-09-22), Deku Nut (04-09-22), Doink (02-09-22), GEORGE (02-09-22), IceCalibur (02-09-22), MadJohn (02-09-22), scoot (02-09-22)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast