Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: First grow problem encountered

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,521 Times

Also, regarding cleaning your tent, you could use apple cider vinegar with some essential oil mixed in, choose an oil that is pest unfriendly like peppermint or rosemary. They won't like that and it leaves an oily film so will continue to repel them.

Bleach is always good for killing stuff but I would makes sure to rinse off any residue on walls floor etc.

I've seen websites suggesting you can apply hydrogen peroxide or even bleach to the plants themselves but I would NOT recommend doing this as I killed a whole crop one time by spraying with dilute hydrogen peroxide (what was I thinking lol?).

Also, go easy on the horticultural soap cuz I did the same thing with that once not realising it can result in phytotoxicity at higher concentrations.
    Last edited by dick_turpine; 08-10-22 at 10:26 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dick_turpine For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (09-10-22), GEORGE (09-10-22)

Thanks

Sorry to hear of the insects. I grow tiny plants and managed to fend off a spider mite attack. Both white and dark brown ones by using
    my fingers alone. However clearly this is very time consuming for anything other than a micro grow. But it can be done just so you know.
    My approach was I would rub my well washed fingers under each leaf both sides get the easy ones done. Then the ones trapped in between or close to the veins of the leafs I used a damp tissue twisted between thumb and forefinger to create a shaprish point and drag them out between the vein. Also rubbed the tops of the leaves every time I saw them on top. It kept the situation under control but twice daily attention was required. Good luck with it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AutoMicroClub For This Useful Post:

dick_turpine (10-10-22), GEORGE (10-10-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dick_turpine View Post
    Hi Cosmic-Fungus.

Bad luck with the mites, I feel your pain as I have had a recent battle with them. It's true that having switched does make it a bit harder to deal with but there are many treatments you can use during the early stages of flowering. I sure you'll also get lots of support on here as I always have.

You seem very organic in your approach to growing and kudos to you for that but it would be useful to know if you are sticking to natural remedies or will you consider using more synthetic methods if necessary?

Thanks,
    DT
    I have give the plants a good jet, brushed each leaf with a paint brush (lol) and squashed as many as i could see but of course i have not been able to get them all and still see a few kicking about. the tent has been cleaned and i have sprayed the plants with liquid kelp and they have perked up so what i have bought is Pyrethrum which is still an organic substance that comes from chrysanthemum flowers and will not harm the plant or the fruits but supposedly kills the feckers on contact so will give em a dose of that to finish em off and hope for the bet i will just be more careful with what i introduce into the tent from now on though its a valuable lesson learnt i suppose so all is good

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cosmic-Fungus For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-10-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,521 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic-Fungus View Post
    I have give the plants a good jet, brushed each leaf with a paint brush (lol) and squashed as many as i could see but of course i have not been able to get them all and still see a few kicking about. the tent has been cleaned and i have sprayed the plants with liquid kelp and they have perked up so what i have bought is Pyrethrum which is still an organic substance that comes from chrysanthemum flowers and will not harm the plant or the fruits but supposedly kills the feckers on contact so will give em a dose of that to finish em off and hope for the bet i will just be more careful with what i introduce into the tent from now on though its a valuable lesson learnt i suppose so all is good
    Yes, this all sounds sensible, whilst I haven't used pyrethrum myself so can't speak for its effectiveness, based on what i know of it and given your current situation I think it's a good choice. Please let us know how you get on.

Sending you positive vibes

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dick_turpine For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-10-22)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3