Thread: Could do with some help please. DWC

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,074 Times

Default Could do with some help please. DWC

Hi all, not sure what’s going on here, any help would be appreciated.

24/09

08/10

Today

So my set up is a 2 plant OxyPot, 70 litre res but for the early stages you can turn the lid upside down, it lowers the net pots and you only need approx 40 ltrs to get solution about an inch away from the bottom of the pots.

I’ve been feeding Shogun Grow A&B (Hard Water), started at 1/2 ml per litre which gave me an EC of 1.1 ( background is 0.7) plants were growing well, I turned the lid the other way up to raise the net pots and raised the nutrient level again to approx 3” away from the bottom of the pots (approx 60 ltrs) and increased feed to 1ml per ltr which gave me an EC of 1.4.

PH I keep within 5.8 and 6.2 and I calibrated the pen a couple of days ago.

Res temp stays at about 19 / 20.

I don’t bother to measure the RH of my groom, I’m almost certain that this is not an environmental issue. I been growing in this room for over 10 years without any problems. The groom is an approx 1mtr square built in wardrobe in a bedroom. Intake is passive through vents in the door, the door is next to a window that is open pretty much all year round apart from the coldest days. Extraction is a 5” inline mounted in the loft space directly above the room with approx 2ft of ducting going through a 5” hole cut in the ceiling of the groom in to my CF that is mounted on a shelf in the top corner of the groom. I only connect the CF during later stages of flower as smell isn’t a massive issue for me.
    So my temps are pretty stable and transfer of air is very good.

Strain is Black Domina and the cuttings were taken from this plant around the middle of September just as she was starting to go in to flower.

As you can see no red stems on the outdoor plant but plenty have started showing on the DWC. In addition to that, curling leaves, rust spots and the lower leaves are drying out and dying off.

I’m thinking a P or K deficiency or maybe both? My reasoning is because the cuts we taken from an early flowering plant so maybe feeding them grow was not giving the sufficient PK, and red stems is a sign of P and K deficiency.

I want to do a res change but not sure whether I should go with Grow or Bloom? If I go with Bloom do I then flip them to 12/12?
    I’d rather give them more veg time to sort themselves out, but if I do that I’m not giving them the PK which I think they need.

I’m starting to ramble on now, so simply put can someone please tell me wtf is going on please.

Thank you in advance fellow stoner friends.

Vlad

E2A lighting is 400w HPS

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ValdtheImpotent For This Useful Post:

barney_b (11-10-22), CityDweller (11-10-22), Deku Nut (11-10-22), GEORGE (11-10-22), MonsterEnergy (11-10-22), Sun&Soil (12-10-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,169 Times

I'm no expert but that looks PH related to me. I would check the PH again and check the PH probe in PH 7 solution directly after to ensure accuracy.
    Are you leaving the probe in the res for a few minutes to make sure its getting a proper reading?

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

barney_b (11-10-22), Deku Nut (11-10-22), GEORGE (11-10-22), MonsterEnergy (11-10-22), Sun&Soil (12-10-22), ValdtheImpotent (11-10-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CityDweller View Post
    I'm no expert but that looks PH related to me. I would check the PH again and check the PH probe in PH 7 solution directly after to ensure accuracy.
    Are you leaving the probe in the res for a few minutes to make sure its getting a proper reading?
    Hi CD thanks for replying so quickly, yes I do leave the pen in for about a minute, then I check again about 10 mins later. I will calibrate it again to double check, I use Calibration fluid 4 and 7. My PH Pen is one of the cheaper one’s to be honest. It’s done me okay up until now, but maybe it’s time to invest in a BlueLab or similar.

Vlad

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ValdtheImpotent For This Useful Post:

barney_b (11-10-22), CityDweller (11-10-22), Deku Nut (11-10-22), GEORGE (11-10-22), MonsterEnergy (11-10-22), Sun&Soil (12-10-22), TightNugs (13-10-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,169 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    Hi CD thanks for replying so quickly, yes I do leave the pen in for about a minute, then I check again about 10 mins later. I will calibrate it again to double check, I use Calibration fluid 4 and 7. My PH Pen is one of the cheaper one’s to be honest. It’s done me okay up until now, but maybe it’s time to invest in a BlueLab or similar.

Vlad
    Instead of calibrating again, just check it in 7 to check the accuracy. If it registers 7.2 then you need to subtract .2 from the res reading.
    Calibrating the probe is said to reduce its life so I try not to calibrate too often. I wait until I am getting inconsistent readings. Like 7.2 when I check in 7 and then 6.9 when I turn off and on and check in 7 again.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

Deku Nut (11-10-22), GEORGE (11-10-22), MonsterEnergy (11-10-22), Sun&Soil (12-10-22), ValdtheImpotent (11-10-22)

Thanks

I wasn’t aware that calibrating the probe could reduce its life, I’ll take that on board and do what you have suggested CD.

Thanks again.

Vlad

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ValdtheImpotent For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (11-10-22), Deku Nut (11-10-22), GEORGE (11-10-22), MonsterEnergy (11-10-22), Sun&Soil (12-10-22), TightNugs (13-10-22)

Thanks

Tested the PH pen and yes it’s showing 7.3 in PH7 Calibration fluid. Topped up my res with grow, EC is now 1.4 (0.7 background)

Adjusted the PH to 6.3

Let’s see how this goes.

Thanks again CD

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ValdtheImpotent For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (12-10-22), CityDweller (12-10-22), GEORGE (12-10-22), TightNugs (13-10-22)