Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A coco scenario...

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,884 Times

I often have coco hanging around in the shed... but it's always bagged - & still moist when I go to use it... but this was dry as a (Nope, best not say that!) - well, you get the drift
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

barney_b (12-10-22), Blue61 (12-10-22), CityDweller (12-10-22), Deku Nut (12-10-22), GEORGE (12-10-22), Samwise Gamgee (12-10-22), Valentina (12-10-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,221 Times

I have heard of people DRENCHING the whole plant and the rootball in neem oil if they had to bring a plant in from the outside. No idea how well that would work if it was coco only.

Anyone that recommends mixing neem oil with dish soap discredits themselves. Try a few drops of glycerine instead.

Same as those who suggest adding vinegar to a laundry load at the same time as laundry detergent. But I digress.

Incidentally burning coco fibres yields A LOT of smoke. Really useful as a flying insect deterrent, but probably not best done at your own home.

Other than that, no, coco is pretty inert AFAIK, but probably not something I would do myself, to bring in plants or grow medium from outside in. Another possibility is that fungal spores have colonised it somewhat and then it gets taken indoors... (cue that theme tune from Jaws). But then the indoors environment will be VASTLY different from being inside a shed, so even if there was fungal growth, it might not last.

Just grab a block or two from W1LK0 as a "secret stash" next spring. Amazon has some for 15 quid 99, 75L.
    One Love, and Mon The Talk!
    The Six L Rule: No Smell, No Tell, No Sell,
    And mind those deci-BELS

May we all cross the line safe and sound, time after time, everytime.

FORUM RULES

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

barney_b (12-10-22), Deku Nut (12-10-22), GEORGE (12-10-22), MadJohn (12-10-22), M_C (12-10-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 17,171 Times

Hey M_C,

I always tend to use fresh coco for my indoor canna grows, generally because the seeds are expensive, and I don't want to chance them not popping by using old coco that could be contaminated.

That said in my garden where I grow veg and fruits, I reuse the coco I have from my indoor grows to then fill my buckets that I use in my hydro system in the garden.

As said above, coco is inert so theoretically it shouldn't cause any problems, the only other thing I would check thou, if reusing coco is the run off is Ph neutral to what you put in, you dont want the coco altering Ph as you feed.

Good luck

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Samwise Gamgee For This Useful Post:

barney_b (12-10-22), Deku Nut (12-10-22), GEORGE (12-10-22), M_C (12-10-22), Valentina (12-10-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valentina View Post

Anyone that recommends mixing neem oil with dish soap discredits themselves. Try a few drops of glycerine instead.
    Hi Valentina,

That one does seem bit odd, as you are mixing a grease/oil, with a degreaser. The only reason I can imagine someone would do this is because some dish soap contains Yucca, which is a natural wetting agent, and helps to make sure the feed spreads across the whole pot, and stops dry spots, and nutrient build up, yucca is always good as a flushing agent as well, if you have salt build up in the pots.

Not sure why anyone would add vinegar to their laundry thou lol

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Samwise Gamgee For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (12-10-22), CityDweller (12-10-22), Deku Nut (12-10-22), GEORGE (12-10-22), MadJohn (12-10-22), M_C (12-10-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 35,499 Times

Vinegar lowers the ph of water. Soft water (lower ph) cleans clothes better then hard water.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Blue61 For This Useful Post:

barney_b (12-10-22), CityDweller (12-10-22), Deku Nut (12-10-22), GEORGE (12-10-22), MadJohn (12-10-22), M_C (12-10-22), Samwise Gamgee (12-10-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue61 View Post
    Vinegar lowers the ph of water. Soft water (lower ph) cleans clothes better then hard water.
    Ahh OK, so alternatively you could add lemon juice, you would probably smell better

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Samwise Gamgee For This Useful Post:

barney_b (12-10-22), Blue61 (12-10-22), CityDweller (12-10-22), Deku Nut (12-10-22), GEORGE (12-10-22), M_C (12-10-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,926 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Samwise Gamgee View Post
    Hi Valentina,

That one does seem bit odd, as you are mixing a grease/oil, with a degreaser. The only reason I can imagine someone would do this is because some dish soap contains Yucca, which is a natural wetting agent, and helps to make sure the feed spreads across the whole pot, and stops dry spots, and nutrient build up, yucca is always good as a flushing agent as well, if you have salt build up in the pots.

Not sure why anyone would add vinegar to their laundry thou lol
    Funnily enough just did this.

The reason being is because neem is an oil so doesn't play nice with water. Soap is an emulsifier and if you don't use a soap when mixing neem into water the oil will just sit on the surface and be next to useless. Adding soap means the neem molecules bind with the soap and then distributes them evenly in the water. Generally you want to use something like Castile soap or a potassium based soap (often known as hortucultural soap) in a 2:1 ratio with neem thats readily biodegradable. At a push you can use fairy which does the job just fine but you can risk plant burn. Horticultural soap on it's own is a pretty effective insecticide but doubling it up with neem oil makes it more effective.

MJ
    Previous Diaries - Auto Blue Dream Dankberry
    Grow Kit List

Lights - 2*MarsHydro TS1000, 1 MarsHydro FC3000 and 1*Migro Array 2 Pro
    Tent - ACInfinity Cloudlab 642, HomeBox 80*80*160
    Extraction - ACInfinity Cloudline S6 plus - Mountain Air Carbon Filter
    Neuts - Emerald Harvest
    Grow Medium - Coco (Canna Coco Pro+) - Plant!t DWC/Wilma

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MadJohn For This Useful Post:

barney_b (12-10-22), Blue61 (12-10-22), CityDweller (12-10-22), Deku Nut (12-10-22), GEORGE (12-10-22), Samwise Gamgee (12-10-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,171 Times

Quote Originally Posted by MadJohn View Post

The reason being is because neem is an oil so doesn't play nice with water. Soap is an emulsifier and if you don't use a soap when mixing neem into water the oil will just sit on the surface and be next to useless. Adding soap means the neem molecules bind with the soap and then distributes them evenly in the water. Generally you want to use something like Castile soap or a potassium based soap (often known as hortucultural soap) in a 2:1 ratio with neem thats readily biodegradable. At a push you can use fairy which does the job just fine but you can risk plant burn. Horticultural soap on it's own is a pretty effective insecticide but doubling it up with neem oil makes it more effective.

MJ
    I aways use castile soap and never see any issues.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

barney_b (12-10-22), Deku Nut (12-10-22), GEORGE (12-10-22), MadJohn (12-10-22), Samwise Gamgee (12-10-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MadJohn View Post

MJ
    Ahh so similar to adding butter when making canna butter, the molecules bind to the fats, I have never had to use neem oil before luckily, but I tend to grow indoors, so not as much chance of critters invading the pots.

I have seen dish soup used as a cheap flushing agent before thou, generally I use Yucca extract with silicon, it is also great at keeping dripper lines free of build ups, as well as lots of benefits in the pot that I have mentioned.

I think thou, for the dish soap to contain Yucca, its generally the more organic brands

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Samwise Gamgee For This Useful Post:

barney_b (12-10-22), CityDweller (12-10-22), Deku Nut (12-10-22), GEORGE (12-10-22), MadJohn (12-10-22), M_C (12-10-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,730 Times

I've done it before, had a seed not sprout and set the pot aside. Then six months later drench and go, never noticed a difference. I doubt bugs would be interested in dried out coco.

J
    "If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

barney_b (13-10-22), Deku Nut (13-10-22), GEORGE (13-10-22), MadJohn (13-10-22), M_C (13-10-22)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2