Thread: Programmable 4-way plugs

Thanks

Default Programmable 4-way plugs

I’m currently using a programmable 4-way. I had to buy a hub, which you can add other things to it, but I only needed a 4-way so that I could monitor and switch on/off individual plugs remotely if needed, all from a simple app.

The problem with it is that 1 - 2 of the relays can stick, which means that one of the fans (and it is normally just one of the fans) won’t switch off. It is a decent product when it works, but I need something more reliable.

Is there anything out there on the market that is a bit better? I know about the LUMii 4-way and for the reliability, I’d definitely go for it, but from what I know there’s no app or ability to switch plugs on or off when away. It’s pretty much a fixed manual timer

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to e11 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (19-10-22), V8 (19-10-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,926 Times

TP-Link do a 4 way with energy monitoring which is pretty pricey. They also do a 3 way without energy monitoring that is a lot cheaper. Both controlled through a phone app called Kasa. They also have a load of individual plugs.

I've had one of the single plugs fail on me a couple of times but the 3 way hasn't yet and I've had it for 3 or 4 months.

The problem with all digital plugs is that I suspect they could always fail on you due to the nature of the technology.

As for an app it depends on the item but there are always alternatives. You can use something like Home Assistant which is an open source home automation solution if you're into a home brew solution running on something like a Raspberry Pi (if you can get hold of one) or you can buy a home automation hub like the Hubitat for £100/$100 that you can use to turn all manner of things on and of to whatever schedule you like in as complex a way as you need. Home automation hubs can be as simple or complex as you want them to be too. They can have monitors and sensors for just about everything growing related and can be used to check everything.

For example you can add in a temperature sensor, a RH sensor, a light sensor and then monitor them all. If any of them rise too high you can get the hub to raise an alert, or flip the switch until it detects it's actually come on and so on. There's a HUGE amount of potential for automation in growing just takes time, money and the will to do it.

MJ
    Previous Diaries - Auto Blue Dream Dankberry
    Grow Kit List

Lights - 2*MarsHydro TS1000, 1 MarsHydro FC3000 and 1*Migro Array 2 Pro
    Tent - ACInfinity Cloudlab 642, HomeBox 80*80*160
    Extraction - ACInfinity Cloudline S6 plus - Mountain Air Carbon Filter
    Neuts - Emerald Harvest
    Grow Medium - Coco (Canna Coco Pro+) - Plant!t DWC/Wilma

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MadJohn For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (19-10-22)