Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Flushing

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CityDweller View Post
    But... if the water has a PH of 8.6 then it probably has a very high mineral content? We might be reseting to 8.6?
    If your water has a high mineral content, isn't that more reason not to PH if your goal is to 'flush' out the minerals?..By not adjusting the PH the plant is not able to absorb the nutrients, which is why most growers are flushing in my opinion.

Just to be clear, I'm not posting saying the OP needs to flush, I'm merely giving my opinion as to how I flush and the reasons why since he asked.

The PH being in the ideal zone is to help allow the plant to absorb nutrients, so when growers have already chosen to flush for their own personal reasons, then they are choosing to remove the minerals from the medium, so if a grower has water with a PH of 8.6 and is high in minerals then perhaps not adjusting the PH to stop the plant absorbing those minerals is the goal no?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (20-10-22), GEORGE (20-10-22), ToughCall (28-10-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,171 Times

Quote Originally Posted by IceCalibur View Post
    if your water has a high mineral content, isn't that more reason not to PH if your goal is to 'flush' out the minerals?..By not adjusting the PH the plant is not able to absorb the nutrients, which is why most growers are flushing in my opinion.

Just to be clear, I'm not posting saying the OP needs to flush, I'm merely giving my opinion as to how I flush and the reasons why.

The PH being in the ideal zone is to help allow the plant to absorb nutrients, so when growers have already chosen to flush for their own personal reasons, then they are choosing not remove the minerals from the medium, so if a grower has water with a PH of 8.6 and is high in minerals then perhaps not adjusting it to stop the plant absorbing those minerals is the goal no?
    That does make sense. A full flush with water regardless of PH followed by a PH balanced feed should work as a reset.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (20-10-22), IceCalibur (20-10-22), ToughCall (28-10-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,171 Times

That does make sense. A full flush with water regardless of PH followed by a PH balanced feed should work as a reset.
    But... personally, when I need a reset I PH my water. Does not appear to hurt as my resets have worked.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (20-10-22), ToughCall (28-10-22)

7. Default

Absolutely bud, that's why I said ;

This is of course after the tapering down which I mentioned, whilst in the time you're using any feed in the water, then I would always PH.

Same with flushing for a 'resetting' of the Coco, for example if there is a buildup of nutrients and you need to flush to remove it, I wouldn't PH (during the flush) so the plant is not absorbing any of the excess of nutrients, then when adding a lower EC, again adjusting the PH so the plants can absorb it.
    I also mentioned ;

It has also been written that shifting the PH about isn't good for the root zone, so if a grower is worried about that during a flush for excessive nutrient removal, then feel free to continue to PH during that flush

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (20-10-22), GEORGE (20-10-22), ToughCall (28-10-22)

9. Default

But... personally, when I need a reset I PH my water. Does not appear to hurt as my resets have worked.
    I'm very much a grower who encourages others to try things out and see what suits them best since we can all have different results sometimes.

Experiment, try new things..for example, I've tried not flushing at all with no difference at all, except I feel like I'm wasting nutrients during that last week.

I've not adjusted PH during a medium 'reset' and that works great for me too.

You're not 'wrong' for adjusting PH during a flush if it works for you, and it's the same for anyone who doesn't adjust their PH and it works for them

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (20-10-22), GEORGE (20-10-22), ToughCall (28-10-22), Valentina (20-10-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,221 Times

...for example, I've tried not flushing at all with no difference at all, except I feel like I'm wasting nutrients during that last week.
    A "Feed, Feed, Water" regime MAY help with lessening any salt build ups.

...You're not 'wrong' for adjusting PH during a flush if it works for you, and it's the same for anyone who doesn't adjust their PH and it works for them
    Hope that applies to EC as well...
    One Love, and Mon The Talk!
    The Six L Rule: No Smell, No Tell, No Sell,
    And mind those deci-BELS

May we all cross the line safe and sound, time after time, everytime.

FORUM RULES

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (21-10-22), GEORGE (21-10-22), IceCalibur (21-10-22), ToughCall (28-10-22)

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Valentina View Post

Hope that applies to EC as well...
    I guess that applies to most things quite honestly Val

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (21-10-22), GEORGE (21-10-22), Valentina (21-10-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,221 Times

I guess that applies to most things quite honestly Val

LOL, yes, of course, I got a bit tunnel-visioned and was just thinking about PH and EC, but you're right that in the broader sense as well.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (21-10-22), GEORGE (21-10-22), IceCalibur (21-10-22), ToughCall (28-10-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,954 Times

Oh and just to add..

Some growers don't feel like there is a need to flush at all at the end of the harvest, with certain research showing 'flushing' at this stage doesn't make any difference at all either way. One particular test result showing plants with similar amounts of NPK than before the 'test' flush, but it also showed the plants that were flushed did not have any detrimental effects either.

The reason I personally do it is because I don't wish to waste any nutrients in that final week, and due to habit, it makes me feel better that the medium is as clear as possible before chop (personal preference), perhaps from doing it this way for so long.

It has also been written that shifting the PH about isn't good for the root zone, so if a grower is worried about that during a flush for excessive nutrient removal, then feel free to continue to PH during that flush

This post I made in 2019 may be of interest to some growers on this topic ;

For more information on this thesis, Google - " Irrigation Management Strategies for Medical Cannabis in Controlled Environments - A Thesis presented to The University of Guelph - By Jonathan Stemeroff "
    I like to believe at this stage the more your plants starve the less chlorophyll you need to deal with during the curing process. At this point in the plants life, it's all about those flowers. Let them drain those leaves for food. I try and control nutrient uptake by letting my soil dry out longer and more often. I'm only as successful as nature lets me. It's a fine line that needs to be watched with detail, and of course when it rains the process starts all over again. Some luck... Some know how...it seems to work most of the time. Long story to say, I do it differently, but for the same reason.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sun&Soil For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (21-10-22), GEORGE (21-10-22), IceCalibur (21-10-22), ToughCall (28-10-22), Valentina (21-10-22)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2