Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Coco shoppin list

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 62,962 Times

Quote Originally Posted by MadJohn View Post
    Late to the party and looking at all this it seems just about anything works in coco

I've got a few coco grown under my belt all have been successful.

I am anal about measuring everything still.

My coco mix is 60/40 coco/perlite.

Unlike the rest of the advice, early days I skip days on watering until week 3 from seed. When I do water early on I water to runoff (anything up to 80%). If you check out my grow diaries I log high level what I do week to week for everything (the Blue Dream one is probably a better indicator because the first 4 weeks of the Dankberry were rocky). If you're really desperate I can provide you with daily figures (I don't think you need it but the offer is there)

For the Blue Dream in week 2-4 I was at about EC 0.6 rising to 0.9 by the end of week 4 from seed. I was giving 1-1.5 l of water daily from week 3. Week 2 I was every other day same amounts. Any less water than that and the PH becomes a bit of a bitch to control even with 0.1ml syringes and you can't really overwater coco (at least I've never managed it even with 70 or 80% runoff some days in those early weeks.)

The pain is just the daily nature of it. You can't really skip a day once it gets established and the runoff is a pain. That said now I've done it a few times I got bored as it's so easy so I'm dabbling in DWC/Wilma instead

Not that you need it but good luck with it.

MJ
    Thanks for the support mate, I'll take a look when I get a minute. That reminds me tbfI need to grab some new syringes, I've got pipettes though so they may be enough

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-10-22), MadJohn (22-10-22), Sun&Soil (22-10-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 25,492 Times

Sorry fella not much time to respond these days.

I water to run off from day 1, Cation exchanges in the coco mean when it absorbs the calcium and magnesium from your feed it releases excess potassium (coco is buffered to help combat this either at the manufacturers or by us when we prep it, but it continues to happen throughout its life cycle) , watering to run off makes sure this doesn't build up along with other salts thus altering conditions in the root zone.
    The other reason I do it is coco becomes extremely hydrophobic as it dries out and can be a royal pain to rehydrate with a seed/seedling in place, providing a stable environment is key. Coco is most aerated when wet, roots looooove oxygen

NO SELL, NO SMELL, NO TELL!!!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

barney_b (18-11-22), GEORGE (18-11-22), MrC (18-11-22), Shaun (18-11-22), Sun&Soil (18-11-22)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5