Thread: Pearls of Wisdom, Gold Nuggets of Knowledge

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 51,466 Times

Thumbs up Pearls of Wisdom, Gold Nuggets of Knowledge

This forum is full of knowledgeable growers who are committed to freely sharing information. Every now and then, I read something that really resonates; something that bears repeating. I'll be compiling them here with linkage for context.
    Feel free to add on if you're feeling inspired!

Cheers
    B

"The footsteps of the farmer is the best fertilizer."

Welcome to The Barnyard

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to barney_b For This Useful Post:

Easy-T (07-11-22), GEORGE (07-11-22), IceCalibur (07-11-22), mpsj (07-11-22), M_C (23-11-22), Sun&Soil (07-11-22), V8 (07-11-22), Valentina (07-11-22)

Thanks

Default S&S on personal growth during a first run

Here's a start

Getting those jars filled puts preasure on oneself. This is when people start to rush the process and overcomplicate things. It's understandable that it's expensive at first and you really want your first grow to be the best ever, but think long term. You've made the investment for many grows, not just this one. Pressure yourself to grow yourself and not the plant. Learn patience and how to read your plants. So what if your first grow doesn't produce world record yields or the prettiest buds out there. If you let her do her thing you will end up with smokeable bud. Your jars will be full and there will be less pressure on your next grow. That's when you take what you've observed previously and start to tweak the formula. Each time it gets easier.

On First Grows

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to barney_b For This Useful Post:

Easy-T (07-11-22), GEORGE (07-11-22), mpsj (07-11-22), Sun&Soil (07-11-22), V8 (07-11-22)

Thanks

I'm not in the UK but this is some really good info on water content and supplementation accordingly from Bud Lightyear

Click to see the Map Bud Provides

The water that comes from our taps here in the Uk can vary quite a bit regionally. The Ec or electrical conductivity is determined by the amount of mineral salts or TDS (Total dissolved solids) The main ones in our water consist of calcium, magnesium, potassium and sodium. Its normally but not always the quantity of calcium that gives us an high Ec number and determines the waters soft or hardness as its referred to.

So generally speaking if you live in an area with a very low Ec you will almost certainly need to supplement cal-mag so your plants have these missing elements available.
    Bare in mind that some nutrient manufacturers add extra cal-mag to their base nutes to compensate for this, this is why sometimes you see hard and soft water versions of their products.

Now the nature of coco as a medium is that it tends to hang on to the magnesium molecules and the plants can then become deficient thus requiring the need for supplementation...My background Ec is 0.5 mainly made up from calcium (Ca) so I never need to add any additional cal to my feed solution but do need to supplement Magnesium (Mg) just to elevate the levels. I like to administer the (Mg) in the form of Epsom salts @ 1 teaspoon per litre water in a spray bottle as a foliar feed. The reason being is that it gets absorbers faster via the stomata on the leaves than through the roots and also keeps the mineral salts out the medium which can raise the Ec in the medium and influence the Ph causing fluctuations..

In any case I don't think your issue is cal-mag at the stage your at, it's more than likely feed strength related, still won't hurt to give a misting of Epsom solution as a precaution, don't drench the top of the coco with it though...Also make sure the Epsom is pharma grade not the stuff for bathing..

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barney_b For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-11-22), Sun&Soil (27-11-22)