Thread: Rain Science Bags - My Thoughts & Using with AutoPots

Thanks

Default Rain Science Bags - My Thoughts & Using with AutoPots

I often watch the Dude Grow Show and listen to Jorden River's podcast, so I have been hearing about these Rain Science Grow Bags.

I am known to over-water, so any tool that helps me overcome my shortcomings is always welcomed.

Before I go into my concerns and solutions about RS Bags and the AuotPots together, I want to talk about quality.

Once in your hands, these bags just wreak of quality and durability. The plastic coated mesh material seems like they would out last you and in up in your will for you grandchildren.

The mesh holes are much more defined than I expected. You can see through them the same way you see through a screen door.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_9505_Nik_Nik_openWith.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	434075

Name:	_MG_9506_Nik_Nik_openWith.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	973.3 KB 
ID:	434076

I cant vouch for effectiveness yet, but I have a 2-gallon version loaded up with coco and almost nothing slips through those holes.

It must have helped that I put my coco/perlite in there and ran a bunch of water through. This wash in my shower removed most of the dust-size material mixed with the rest of the coco. You ccould see the dust running out and down the drain.

Name:	_MG_9502_Nik_Nik_openWith.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.58 MB 
ID:	434077

Another quality I like is that with the ones I bought (2 & 5 gallon) is how they are tall. I assume this is to give a longer rooth pathway to the bottom. The 5-gallon is 15-inches tall.

Name:	IMG_0906.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	603.5 KB 
ID:	434078

AutoPots are my growing system of choice, so I was worried about a compatibility issue.

The 5-Gallon Rain Science Bags is a bit smaller in diameter, but taller.

Name:	spring-pot-5-gal-pot.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	434079

The good news is that the diameter difference is small enough to make them work, but one other concern exists with the required AutoSocks. These socks are essential to keep the roots out of each unit's AquaValve, which maintains the proper water level. So, a tight fit is essential.

AutoPots recently started offering an additional style of "sock" that has a cinch cord. I can see this could make up the difference.

Name:	Drawstring Sock.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	451.0 KB 
ID:	434080

However, an untested hack that I tried at the house might work as well.

Name:	IMG_0903.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	908.9 KB 
ID:	434083

Name:	IMG_0904.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	718.0 KB 
ID:	434082

Name:	IMG_0905.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	897.6 KB 
ID:	434081

Overall, I am encouraged by these bags. The quality is there and the mesh openings seem like they are going to be great for air pruning. Soil areation should be another benefit as well.

This two-gallon version going to have the BluMat system in it. At 6-inches across it's a tight fight by does do the job.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ExNavy For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (13-12-22), Deku Nut (13-12-22), GEORGE (12-12-22), IceCalibur (12-12-22), M_C (13-12-22), scoot (12-12-22), Shaun (13-12-22), Tommy stoner (12-12-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 22,739 Times

I have a fabric pot and a rain science pot going head to head. Rain science bag takes a gigantic shit on my fab pot. RS is like a gallon or two smaller also. Explosive growth. They do dry out quicker tho

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Shaun For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (13-12-22), Deku Nut (13-12-22), ExNavy (13-12-22), GEORGE (12-12-22), IceCalibur (12-12-22), scoot (12-12-22), Tommy stoner (12-12-22)

Thanks

Hopefully, I can beat the "dries-fast" issues with the way I am irrigating and feeding right now.

The two uses I have for them are either in AutoPots or with the BluMat drip system.

In each of those cases, they are watered on the demand of the plant. So, this has the potential for a good match up.

As for those socks from AutoPots, they come with a nice copper inside that's part of the science behind tamping back roots. I noticed that pretty shine is gone after a grow and for sure after you wash them. I'm hoping that copper coloring is a small factor in managing roots and it is the density of the sock material that really keeps the roots out of the machinary.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I have a fabric pot and a rain science pot going head to head. Rain science bag takes a gigantic shit on my fab pot. RS is like a gallon or two smaller also. Explosive growth. They do dry out quicker tho

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExNavy For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (13-12-22), Deku Nut (13-12-22), GEORGE (13-12-22), Shaun (13-12-22)