Thread: Ro System with or without alkaline filter

Thanks

Default Ro System with or without alkaline filter

Hi,

i would like to buy a ro system for dwc and can’t decide which one to buy.

there is waterdrop g2 that produces pure ro water and frizzlife pd600-tam3 with an alkaline filter with (>7.5ph) and remineralizes the water with calmg but not much. Still under 100ppm.

I know that with pure ro water I get ph swings specially in bloom.

so which one makes more sense pure water mixed with tap for ph stability or the frizzlife life system ?

thanks

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ocelot For This Useful Post:

B1unt (06-01-23), CityDweller (06-01-23), GEORGE (05-01-23), Jingo (05-01-23), scoot (15-01-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,625 Times

I would probably go with the remineralizer for personal health and to save cal/mag. If you go straight r/o you will always be adding calcium to grow weed. It's important to know what your system will produce in a 24 hour period at your beginning ec/tds. My system is rated at 75 gal a day at 100 tds or below, my actual tds is 500 which is the max my system can handle and it produces about 15 gallons a day. If you plan on Coco or hydro you will need lots of water and a big storage tank is a good idea. I use a 14 gal tank that holds 9 gallons of r/o water.

Be sure to check how widely available filters and membranes are, I just replaced my system because filters were too hard to get a hold of.

J
    Last edited by Jingo; 05-01-23 at 07:44 PM.
    "If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (06-01-23), GEORGE (05-01-23), ocelot (05-01-23), scoot (15-01-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,169 Times

When I tried the remineralizer I got a PH of 9.4

Don't use plain RO for watering ever. It does something to the soil. Gotta add a bit of cal mag at minimum to give it a low EC so it does not leach the soil.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-01-23), IceCalibur (06-01-23), ocelot (08-01-23), scoot (15-01-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,066 Times

You won't get pH swings with RO if you add a buffer of 0.1EC tap water back in or a base of Cal-Mag will give it enough buffering capacity.

I wouldn't mess about with a remineralizer, it throws a variable into the nutrient equation (& that's assuming it works consistently). I'd be concerned with having a booster pump to keep the pressure high & possibly a 2nd membrane* to increase the unit's efficiency...

The booster pump & dual membrane setup will pay for themselves eventually with less water consumption & you'll get you desired volume a lot faster.

*An RO unit has pre-filters & the membrane is the business part with the pure water outlet & waste line. If you take the waste line & run it into another membrane you get a second pure water feed so it's like double the volume & shit.

*Edit: There's no need for Deionising (DI) Resin for growing (that's for aquarium keepers & window cleaners)
    Last edited by B1unt; 06-01-23 at 08:10 PM.
    B1unt XIII: Chemdogging & Sour Diesel - https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...post1071304159

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to B1unt For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-01-23), IceCalibur (06-01-23), ocelot (08-01-23), scoot (15-01-23)