Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I need some assistance with one of my plants please...

Thanks

And shame on me for not using a good descriptive title...sorry future people (????)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RubyW For This Useful Post:

dick_turpine (07-03-23), GEORGE (02-02-23), scoot (02-02-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,865 Times

Quote Originally Posted by RubyW View Post
    Hey Buzz, Yes, I had moved the plants into bigger pots about a week before they began to flower as they outgrew the 5L pots, with all of them having 3-4L of water in the 10L buckets. I premake the nutrient mixture in a 10L water container, let it sit for at least 15 minutes if I don't have a lot of time, but I tend to leave it overnight in preparation for water change day, and individually pour out the mix into the individual buckets. I use Vitalink Cal Mag, and follow the 1ml/L as stated on the bottle. Has my method been wrong?
    Also, not sure if I am going to get some disappointed looks, but I don't run a reservoir, the res temps I put down were for the bucket water temps, sorry for the misinformation and not clarifying sooner. I was going to set one up but I ran into some issues with the supply company and as this is now going to be my last grow for a while, didn't prioritise getting another one ordered.

Buckets are too small for DWC in my opinion, pH & Ec is going to be bouncing all over the place as the volume of feed solution diminishes...Very difficult to maintain a healthy balance in small buckets... If you are using RO water with zero base Ec then you should add Cal-Mag to the water first till you reach 0.4~0.5 Ec then add your base nutes so you end up with around 1.2 Ec then adjust the pH to 5.8 for veg and around 6.0 for flowering...Won't do any harm to fluctuate the pH between 5.6 and 6.2 occasionally just to open up the full range for all the elements to be available for uptake...

Regards BL

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

dick_turpine (07-03-23), GEORGE (02-02-23), RubyW (02-02-23), scoot (02-02-23)

Thanks

another note - as I cannot edit the post again. We actually only been using half the recommended amount, 0.5ml/L, and for a short period we didn't use it as we feared it may have actually been excessive nutrients causing a lockout thus causing deficiency symptoms but realised it was a deficiency and restarted cal mag, they then bounced back happy and we are now at this point. Apologies for the constant edits, I share the care responsibility for them with a friend and I just talked through with him with what I spoke about today

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RubyW For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (02-02-23), scoot (02-02-23)

Thanks

Alright, what size buckets would you recommend? Has my waiting time been beneficial or is it OK to just use it straight away? I was hesitant to use CalMag during flowering but I will make sure to add that first from now on. The normal 1ml dosage is fine or shall I reduce it? And yeah, with the recent PH fluctuations I up the PH to 6.2/6.3 so that by the next day it would drop down and allow for that. You say occasionally, how many times pw would you recommend?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RubyW For This Useful Post:

dick_turpine (07-03-23), GEORGE (02-02-23), scoot (02-02-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,865 Times

Quote Originally Posted by RubyW View Post
    another note - as I cannot edit the post again. We actually only been using half the recommended amount, 0.5ml/L, and for a short period we didn't use it as we feared it may have actually been excessive nutrients causing a lockout thus causing deficiency symptoms but realised it was a deficiency and restarted cal mag, they then bounced back happy and we are now at this point. Apologies for the constant edits, I share the care responsibility for them with a friend and I just talked through with him with what I spoke about today

Forget the recommended amount on the bottles. Unless you know what you are doing and have experience with the specific nutes your using you will need to be measuring the feed strength Ec otherwise it's just guesswork..

Regards BL

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

dick_turpine (07-03-23), GEORGE (02-02-23), IceCalibur (02-02-23), scoot (02-02-23)

Thanks

Hello everyone! I thought I should finally post an update on what's been going on -

Right after my last post, my order of a complete DWC set up, with a reservoir tank, 20L buckets with the water line markers on the exterior etc (which was over 4 months late) had FINALLY arrived. Right at the end of a grow, super useful.. I now get to put it all into storage woo!
    I had moved all my babies in there straight away and as you said Bud, it worked like magic. I had a couple ups and downs along the way but I did my best to diagnose everything with the EC/PH chart from another page (don't have link to hand). For the most part, the 2 which are still going (the ones I originally asked about) have been very heavy drinkers and have really come into their own. I started off feeding them twice a week, first when I do the water change and then top up the nutrients halfway through the week, but based on EC readings I thought that still wasn't enough so I fed them one extra day, which was a little too much so went back to 2. Since then, as per buds guidance, I'd add calmag first, which for us was around 1.5ml/L instead of the standard 1ml/L to bring up the EC to 04~06 then adding the rest as per the bottles. The other too was a bit more tricky as they were already in late flower so I had to slowly reduce their EC instead until flushing as they no longer drank. The 2 finishing up (drying) in a smaller tent, I took a nug off one of them to try (as it was the driest one) and I am pleased beyond belief - one has some really nice purple hues, the flavour is great some really nice terps going on with some good weight to them. They definitely could have been even better but for all the stress that we went through, they came out strong! I will be uploading photos of how everything has gone on and how the bud is looking. Overall I'd say the reason we ran into the issues we did is A) should have had the bigger buckets sooner (as per was the plan) and B) should have been more consistent with keeping record of EC readings earlier in the grow.

Thankyou to everyone who left a comment, you guys have helped a lot as it can be very daunting or difficult to diagnose deficiencies/excess nutrients as a lot is alike and can also be due to lockout/PH issues. This has definitely been the best bud out of all my grows and I still stick with my statement - hydro rules :-) At least now, when I get the chance to grow again I have everything I need.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RubyW For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (06-03-23), Deku Nut (07-03-23), dick_turpine (07-03-23), GEORGE (06-03-23), Jingo (07-03-23), scoot (06-03-23)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2