Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New lights needed

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,521 Times

Quote Originally Posted by barney_b View Post

Interestingly enough, if your LED is TOO efficient, you might need to add some supplemental heating to keep your leaf temps up.

Cheers
    B
    Hey Barney, this comment caught my interest, please can you explain more, like why this could cause an issue? Thanks, DT

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dick_turpine For This Useful Post:

barney_b (06-02-23), GEORGE (06-02-23), scoot (06-02-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 51,466 Times

Quote Originally Posted by dick_turpine View Post
    Hey Barney, this comment caught my interest, please can you explain more, like why this could cause an issue? Thanks, DT
    To keep it super simple. Electricity runs from the wall through the driver then to the diodes. There are some inefficiencies along the way. So the driver does a conversion so the juice from the wall is usable at the diode. There is some inefficiency here that results in heat.

Same thing happens across the diode. When you put power to diodes, they have to do a jump from one material to another. The energy is released as light and heat. Currently the Samsung H diodes are the most efficient. Meaning they convert more juice to light and less to heat.

Compare that to an HPS lamp. They are comparitively WAY less efficient. So the conversion from electricity to light produces a bunch of heat... compared to LEDs.

More efficient means less loss of power to heat while making light.
    Less efficient means more heat produced as a function of producing light.

So then, the very "best" LEDs are so efficient that they don't generate enough heat to keep your plants at the optimal temperature at the leaf surface.

Quite the tradeoff... I have heard an argument that there is a balance somewhere to LED lights between efficiency and temps. 2.9umol is insanely efficient but a 2.1umol LED rating my provide better heat without adding another unit to the equation. I'm not smart enough to figure that out though.

Hope that helps make it a bit clearer as I understand it. It's dumbed down quite a bit because the author is.

Cheers
    B

"The footsteps of the farmer is the best fertilizer."

Welcome to The Barnyard

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to barney_b For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (06-02-23), dick_turpine (06-02-23), GEORGE (06-02-23), IceCalibur (07-02-23), MrG (09-07-23), M_C (07-02-23), scoot (06-02-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 35,418 Times

Well said Barney.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blue61 For This Useful Post:

barney_b (06-02-23), dick_turpine (06-02-23), GEORGE (06-02-23), scoot (06-02-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,521 Times

Yes, thank you Barney, am still getting used to these new fangled inventions lol

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dick_turpine For This Useful Post:

barney_b (10-07-23), GEORGE (06-02-23), IceCalibur (07-02-23), scoot (07-02-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,087 Times

Quote Originally Posted by westside View Post
    Looks nice
    Quote Originally Posted by westside View Post
    That looks nice man
    Stop spamming to get your post count up. Participation yields rewards.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrG For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (10-07-23), Easy-T (10-07-23), GEORGE (10-07-23), MikeDeezXXX (10-07-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 58,130 Times

Quote Originally Posted by MrG View Post
    Stop spamming to get your post count up. Participation yields rewards.

He's been trying since 2014 give the lad a break

"Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Easy-T For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-07-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 58,130 Times

Or even 2013

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Easy-T For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-07-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,087 Times

That was me giving him a break hahaha

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrG For This Useful Post:

Easy-T (10-07-23), GEORGE (10-07-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 51,466 Times

Quote Originally Posted by barney_b View Post
    To keep it super simple. Electricity runs from the wall through the driver then to the diodes. There are some inefficiencies along the way. So the driver does a conversion so the juice from the wall is usable at the diode. There is some inefficiency here that results in heat.

Same thing happens across the diode. When you put power to diodes, they have to do a jump from one material to another. The energy is released as light and heat. Currently the Samsung H diodes are the most efficient. Meaning they convert more juice to light and less to heat.

Compare that to an HPS lamp. They are comparitively WAY less efficient. So the conversion from electricity to light produces a bunch of heat... compared to LEDs.

More efficient means less loss of power to heat while making light.
    Less efficient means more heat produced as a function of producing light.

So then, the very "best" LEDs are so efficient that they don't generate enough heat to keep your plants at the optimal temperature at the leaf surface.

Quite the tradeoff... I have heard an argument that there is a balance somewhere to LED lights between efficiency and temps. 2.9umol is insanely efficient but a 2.1umol LED rating my provide better heat without adding another unit to the equation. I'm not smart enough to figure that out though.

Hope that helps make it a bit clearer as I understand it. It's dumbed down quite a bit because the author is.

Cheers
    B
    Sometimes I don't remember comments that I make... It's like someone else writes them. I wanted to add a little nugget to this:

Something that I've been doing, and I think V8 does too, is use a fan at the very top of your tent pointing at your driver. This helps push some of that hot air back down to your canopy instead of it just circling at the top and then out through your exhaust fan. Seems to help get your temps up at the canopy during the colder months.

Hope this addition helps generate some thought.

Cheers again.
    B

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barney_b For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-07-23), MrG (10-07-23)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2