Thread: Anyone using a small air con with heat pump unit in a small sealed room

Thanks

Default Anyone using a small air con with heat pump unit in a small sealed room

Hey Girls and Boys,

Anyone using a small air con with heat pump unit in a small sealed room? Not in a hot climate really apart from the summer. I have a small window which is double glazed and I can seal it. For the door I could add one flaps or something to stop air getting in and close the window air vents. I know it's not cheap but at least when im out I dont have to keep any heating on in the house and would be perfect for summer.

My room size is about 3.2m x 3m x 2.2m (about 60% bigger than the tent so not much room at all really). The tent is just over 2 x (2.4m x 1.4m x 2.2m) so I could fit one next to each other with about a 30cm gap between and about 40cm x 240cm at the end where the door is. Im not planning on this,

Im running 2 x 600w Lumatek Zeus Pro 2.7 in the tent which will be lowered and dimmed instead of being kept at height. If I was to go for a decent air con with heat pump unit do you think thats the way to go then just vent out the tent into the room through the carbon filter to keep it smelling fresh. I can then explore adding Co2 etc maybe?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hopscotch123 For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (16-02-23), GEORGE (16-02-23), Jingo (18-05-23), scoot (16-02-23)

Thanks

The other option I was thinking of was using an evaporative cooler which is cheaper to run than AC as far was I can tell but requires water. I would also need a dehumidifier to bring down the humidity but would mean I could have the right humidity by adjusting how much the dehumidifier is running and also run the dehumidifier water to top up the evaporative cooler so less waste water as it would be a closed system and neither needs ventilation. Still have carbon filters in the tents to scrub the air going back into the room.

This works on paper and im sure someone would have done it before so would love some feedback. I dont mind fitting a minisplit but would rather not have an annoying outdoor unit running all the time which I would pop up a nice wooden hatch/cover over it.

Im in half minds of converting half of my garage into a a room and keeping the rest my workshop/lift and separate like with the server rack and electronics area. Always noise coming from part of there with server etc running but its not insulated so would have to kindspan etc. I would much prefer having hydro outside of the house in case of leaks.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hopscotch123 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-05-23), Jingo (18-05-23)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,730 Times

I used to run a groom in my shop and had the same delema that you have. All the guys in my area would seal a room and put in a mini split to heat and cool or get by with something else.

I decided to insulate for winters, use LEDs and have a lung/work room with a window air conditioner. The groom could run 3 seasons 24/7 doing autos drain to waste and photos in the summer at night. Or I could do summer 24/7 with autos and a/c.

I did drain to waste with coco as my medium. My drain table drained out through the wall into drain tiles outside and with auto water I could go 4-5 days without touching anything.

I started with hydro and the concrete floors helped keep res temps low. I got much better yield with coco drain to waste. Coco with auto feed and smaller pots produces like hydro without the headache.

J
    "If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-05-23), MikeDeezXXX (20-05-23), MrG (18-05-23)